What's new

Is it normal for blades to warp?

Hi,

Exactly that, is it normal for blades to warp? I've seen it happen with my Fatboy and other TTOs. After I opened them to rinse them, then close them the blade has noticable warping at its edge.

Thanks for any responses.

Sounds like you mean "is it normal for razors to make blades warp as you tighten them up". Am I correct?

I'd say no, certainly not.

However, I have one old Gillette Tech (yardsale special from decades ago) that does that rather badly. The blade edge stays straight as you tighten the handle, then as it gets pressed against the baseplate of the head it starts to warp (edge gets wavy seen straight on. So it's a baseplate issue rather than a head one - unless the head is mismatched somehow (which I doubt). Blade warpage identical on both sides - no evidence of damage. It shaves badly.

Never saw this in any other razors I have, including two other Techs. Weird, huh?

- Bill

Last edited:
Warping issues with the Gillette SuperWarpSpeeds have been well documented in certain circles.

The first step in retrieving your blade is to determine its origin. Is it a Russian blade? Japanese? Indian? Knowing where to begin the chase is crucial.

Secondly, check your mail archives (both paper and e-type). Mail sent and received by your errant blade will provide you with addresses. Match addresses with country of origin to find potential friends or family members.

Blade recovery is the final step. Book a flight to the most promising address, watch as many episodes of Dog the Bounty Hunter as will fit into your time frame, and use your newfound street smarts (and potential cred) to recover the lost blade.

If you have to contract the blade retrieval out, make sure you provide your proxy with excellent photographs. Not to seem racist, but sometimes it can be difficult to tell 7 O'Clock yellows apart.

Once the blade is back in your possession, determine if an attitude adjustment is required. If so, leave the blade in a slant razor overnight and reevaluate its attitude in the morning. Repeat as needed.

If we can crack down on blade warping and prove once and for all that we ARE the dominant life forms, perhaps we will one day be in a position to exploit the manufacturing and psychological flaws of the blades to wrest the details of warp travel from them.

Then we will be the masters.

They will never laugh at us again.

The cutting edge or the short edge? The long cutting edge should be straight, but in DE's the blade is curved so that the middle is higher and the sharp edges point down.

The blade's cutting edge should be completely flat when you look at the razor head after you insert and tighten the razor. The blade , however, is bent in an arc when you look it at the side (non-cutting) edge.

Top Bottom