What's new

How long does your shave last?

I shave before bed, in the shower...when I was using the Atra, although I had irritation more often, the average shave lasted until well into the next day. Although my face is happier since I went to DE, the stubble is getting noticeable by mid-morning and heavy by mid-afternoon.

Will I ever get back to that point, or are cartridges just inherently closer? Been at it a couple months, and when I finish, it FEELS awfully smooth, the same as in the Atra days, but does not last.

(Shaving in the morning is way harder for me, as I live in an older house with one bathroom, an awkwardly placed sink, and 2 women and a baby in the house...very hard to block off that much time.)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
How long have you been using a DE? You might improve your technique still.

I don't shave at night because if I do, I will have noticeable stubble in the morning. That's how it is...

I don't think that cartridge will be closer... Give it some time and practice!

Good to hear...if cartridges were just inherently closer (lift and cut and all that), that would be it.

But technique I can do something about!

I agree. As you get better and better, so will the shaves. I sometimes shave at night, sometimes in the morning. Sure, your stubble will show up by lunch the next day when you shave at night; it's just a time thing, and is pretty much inevitable. But, as your shaves get smoother and closer, you will notice it less and less.

What matters is comfort. You said your shaves are smooth, and that is the important part. I suggest trying a very quick one pass shave in the morning, perhaps going XTG to clean up any stubble you may have before heading off to work/school/whatever. This might give you the added smooth, clean look you desire for the rest of the day, without the extra time of a usual 4-pass shave, and you won't have to deal with the ladies in the house getting too upset (something we always want to avoid:tongue_sm)

Experience counts! The more you practice the closer your shaves will be. It took me awhile but now I can say that I never got as close a shave with a multi-bladed razor as I can now get with my DE. Practice makes perfect.

Man, if I shaved at night I would look like George Brett by 9 a.m. I started getting up earlier when I began DE shaving, and now it's built in to my routine. I find a good shave is worth 15 fewer minutes of sleep. Oh, and you will get better and faster at it as time goes on.

Man, if I shaved at night I would look like George Brett by 9 a.m. I started getting up earlier when I began DE shaving, and now it's built in to my routine. I find a good shave is worth 15 fewer minutes of sleep. Oh, and you will get better and faster at it as time goes on.

Same here. I am pretty much a morning person now--up at 5:30 almost every day, no matter when I go to bed or whether I shaved at night or not. I am amazed how much more I do in a day now.

I shave before bed, in the shower...when I was using the Atra, although I had irritation more often, the average shave lasted until well into the next day. Although my face is happier since I went to DE, the stubble is getting noticeable by mid-morning and heavy by mid-afternoon.

Nothing there actually tells us, what do you do?
Fair enough you shave in the shower - but what does that mean? 1 pass WTG vs 1 WTG then 1 ATG then 1 WTG then 1 XTG ... will give quite different results.

Having said that, the only consistency with shaving is - YMMV :thumbup:
What works for one, may well work for nobody else in the history of mankind.

I usually do 1 WTG, 1 XTG, 1 ATG. What's got me puzzled is that the shave feels the same right after I finish...but it grows back faster after a DE shave.
Probably just need more practice...and maybe I'm just more aware of the stubble than before!
Thanks!

I get a closer/smoother shave with my DE. I shave during the work week at about 5:30am, and my face will stay smooth until later lunch, but noticeable stubble not until the evening.

Top Bottom