What's new

The best cheap dress shirts

I've always had good luck with Izod and Geoffrey Beene shirts (from JC Penney and Macy's, respectively). What other brands have you gents come across that have good build quality and longevity in the $50 or less category?

I've always had good luck with Izod and Geoffrey Beene shirts (from JC Penney and Macy's, respectively). What other brands have you gents come across that have good build quality and longevity in the $50 or less category?

as far as cheap goes I love Black & Brown... I get them on huge sales at Lord and Taylor for about $25

Penney's Stafford in the no-iron variety. Good finish, well made, hold up well in washing. Have better luck with these than Land's End.

Not sure on the price point in the US but I've found Brooks Brothers on sale here for ~$55CDN a shirt. Also like their selection of sizes and fits.

S

Sam

Paul Frederick has a special for $19.99 on pinpoint oxford with monogram, white. Decent shirts. Jos. A Bank Traveler, non iron, when they are 50% off, good value.

Charles Thyrwhitt
and JM Lewin - $5 shirts for like $150 from overseas, cuff or barrell cuff. Id go in if anyone wanted to keep 3 and buy me 2, let me paypal them and when they get here and ship to me, paypal the shipping charges. Id like to try 2 shirts, one herringbone, one twill, without having to pay for 5.

Not sure on the price point in the US but I've found Brooks Brothers on sale here for ~$55CDN a shirt. Also like their selection of sizes and fits.

Only on a major sale (the do this on Memorial day) and yes, when you can buy BB shirts at $50 each, they're a steal.

For cheap shirts, I like the Arrow shirts - I can often find them for around $35.

In the UK, I've found TM Lewin and Hawes & Curtis shirts to be reliable and well-priced when on sale (which is frequently).

I've tried about 10 department store brands, many of which have given me bad results. Staffords, Kenneth Cole Reaction, and Van Heusen shirts have always given me the same problem. The tips of the collar always wear away quickly. I've had very good luck so far, though, with all of my Izod and Geofrey Beene shirts in this respect, and I love the finish on the Izod shirts. The panel that the button holes are stitched in to is folded over and pleated, and feels very durable. The collars stay well formed, and all the hardware is nicely attached. Right now I have a pidgeon's blood red (imagine the brightest, richest red you can imagine) lux sateen izod shirt on. Absolutely beautiful. My favorite shirt by far. For $25, it beats out my BOSS and burberry shirts in fit, finish, longevity, selection, and especially price.

Brooks Brothers 346 shirts for $30-$40 at the outlet store. I pretty much only buy BB as they do not tend to shrink. Everything else; Joseph Banks, Hilfiger, Nautica, etc. all seem to shrink after a half dozen trips to the dry cleaner.

I buy a no-iron/easy iron variety from a store called The Bay here in Canada; they are made of 100% Egyptian cottom and sell for about $40 regular price. I've wore dress shirt that were three times the price and nothing compares to these, the brand is called Hudson Room.

If you have a Nordstrom Rack around you there's usually a ton of shirts that will fit your needs. I usually go there or the BB outlet.

Has anyone had any luck with any of the online custom tailoring places i.e. MyTailor, ModernTailor, Jantzen, etc.? If they're truly made-to-measure, the $30-40/shirt is a decent price, especially given that you have complete control over the little options that everyone has their own little preferences for (collars, cuffs, pockets, etc).

I've always had a devil of a time finding shirts in-store that can accommodate my big neck/shoulders and short arms (My better half jokes that I'm put together like a T-Rex :tongue_sm).

Has anyone had any luck with any of the online custom tailoring places i.e. MyTailor, ModernTailor, Jantzen, etc.? If they're truly made-to-measure, the $30-40/shirt is a decent price, especially given that you have complete control over the little options that everyone has their own little preferences for (collars, cuffs, pockets, etc).

I've always had a devil of a time finding shirts in-store that can accommodate my big neck/shoulders and short arms (My better half jokes that I'm put together like a T-Rex :tongue_sm).

I buy the TM Lewin Shirts, in the link above, they already have up to four standard sleeve lenght's for each collar size and if these dont fit you can have the sleve length adjusted in the factory if you order on line. Possible to have 18 inch neck, with 30 inch sleeve.

My problem isn't the sleeve length, if I buy a shirt that is big enough for me in the collar it will be to large for me around the waist, so I buy the Slim fit and then bring them to my tailor, who alters them look like they were made for me, end result the best quality of shirt, cotton, finishing and fit. He does a special deal altering 4 shirts for €40

Last edited:
For top of the range shirts, at great value try out TM lewin when they are on sale $52 Dollars each or 4 for $160.

The Luxury Twill cotton has to be touched to be believed. This is the type of cloth that SWMBO will want to caress and cuddle up to, its so luxuriously soft.

I recommend Windsor collar Double cuff Slim fit. I have 16 of these and counting.

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/MensFormalShirts.aspx/Men/MenFormalShirts

I tend to wear bold colors, so T.M. Lewin isn't for me. Well, I suppose I could do with some nice whites and pastels.

I've personally had good luck finding quite a few of the brands mentioned above (G. Beene, Abboud, etc...) at Marshall's for $20 or less in most cases. If you have one of those near you, it's worth checking out.

Top Bottom