What's new

Product recommendation needed

Greetings to all the B&B'ers. This is my first post so go easy on me. :thumbup1:

I just found out about this site through a wrist watch forum to which I belong. Someone posted a video from youtube on one of your G2Gs remarking how similar it was to a WIS (watch idiot savant) meet. We tend to drink more, but the supposition is that alcohol and razors don't mix.
:out:

I have a TON of reading to do and can't wait to learn more about how to get a better shave!
:001_smile

Now on to the reason for my thread.

For years I was a "disposable razor and goop from a can" shaver. Later I figured out that the Mach 3 was better although pricey. Did that for about 10 years.
Recently I've switched from the "goop from a can" to Khiel's White Eagle.
proxy.php

So far I really like this as it has some kind of topical anesthetic. At only $20 for 8oz it's a real bargain since it lasts 6 months or more. I only shave every 2-3 days.

So....... here's my question. Is there something similar on the market that I should be looking at? As I do my research and chose a new razor (the Mach3's are $32 for 15 at the megamart :angry: ), will the Khiel's cream be ok or should I move to a brush and soap??

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

There are a few reviews for a Kiehl's shaving cream for use with a brush, but they haven't been particularly positive. You say that you enjoy the numbing properties, which leads me to recommend Proraso shaving cream. It's a perennial favorite around here and has menthol in it which gives the sensation you describe. It's pretty easy to lather. There are tons of awesome creams out there.

I'd recommend watching Mantic59's video channel on youtube, as he's got an entire slew of videos on shaving with a DE. He'll teach you pretty much everything you need to get started. For gear acquisition, there are several places. These forums have a buy/sell/trade section where you might be able to find an entire secondhand kit for pretty cheap. The forums also have a bunch of reputable vendors like bullgooseshaving.net and westcoastshaving. eBay is another option.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your shaves more now that you've 'seen the light' as we all have.

Thanks Ryan! I've been a'readin' and a lookin'. So many nice setups and a plthora of massively entertaining information.

I'll be checking out that youtube channel for sure.

Cheers!:thumbup:

I don't know about this creme as I have not tried, but there are many more to choose that are excellent and some cheaper too. There are vendors here that sell "home-made" but fantastic cremes that rival the best of teh brand names. I recently tried Al Raz's "Da Bomb" custom shave creme and I very highly recommend it....the lather from this thing is unrivaled. If you are into soaps, try mama Bear's. Some have also recommended Proraso, yet another excellent one. You are not going to be short on choices...there are many

Welcome!

I am a confessed soap junkie. I'm not familiar with Kiehl's White Eagle but I've seen it in the store. I have just posted a note on Kiehl's Lite Flite Cream for the brush which was very positive and I invite you to look at it in the Shaving Cream forum.

You should use what you like. Try any one or more of the soaps/creams discussed in these forums. If I remember correctly, the White Eagle product is designed to be applied with the hands and not a brush. I like to apply my lather with a brush and work it in. I get a better shave that way

I'm a big fan of the Speick creams and Mama Bear Soaps. I have the Proraso in my rotation because it does such a good job creating lather and gives a very slick shave. I'm not a fan of the heavy menthol feeling so I suspect it will take several years to get through my soap tub.

When you are first starting out, the consensus seems to be to stick with one soap/razor/blade combination until you are comfortable with your technique.

Greetings to all the B&B'ers. This is my first post so go easy on me. :thumbup1:

I just found out about this site through a wrist watch forum to which I belong. Someone posted a video from youtube on one of your G2Gs remarking how similar it was to a WIS (watch idiot savant) meet. We tend to drink more, but the supposition is that alcohol and razors don't mix.
:out:

I have a TON of reading to do and can't wait to learn more about how to get a better shave!
:001_smile

Now on to the reason for my thread.

For years I was a "disposable razor and goop from a can" shaver. Later I figured out that the Mach 3 was better although pricey. Did that for about 10 years.
Recently I've switched from the "goop from a can" to Khiel's White Eagle.
proxy.php

So far I really like this as it has some kind of topical anesthetic. At only $20 for 8oz it's a real bargain since it lasts 6 months or more. I only shave every 2-3 days.

So....... here's my question. Is there something similar on the market that I should be looking at? As I do my research and chose a new razor (the Mach3's are $32 for 15 at the megamart :angry: ), will the Khiel's cream be ok or should I move to a brush and soap??

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

I used Khiel's for years.

Then I discovered so many creams that I prefer.

In no particular order:

Castle Forbes
Gentlemen's Best
Geo F. Trumper
Edwin Jaegger
Proraso

and a slew of others.

experiment.

I don't know about this creme as I have not tried, but there are many more to choose that are excellent and some cheaper too. There are vendors here that sell "home-made" but fantastic cremes that rival the best of teh brand names. I recently tried Al Raz's "Da Bomb" custom shave creme and I very highly recommend it....the lather from this thing is unrivaled. If you are into soaps, try mama Bear's. Some have also recommended Proraso, yet another excellent one. You are not going to be short on choices...there are many
Home made? That sounds very adventurous and cool. Seriously cool. I've gotta make my way through this tub of White Eagle first. When I do, Prosaso is probably what I'll try next.

Welcome!

I am a confessed soap junkie. I'm not familiar with Kiehl's White Eagle but I've seen it in the store. I have just posted a note on Kiehl's Lite Flite Cream for the brush which was very positive and I invite you to look at it in the Shaving Cream forum.

You should use what you like. Try any one or more of the soaps/creams discussed in these forums. If I remember correctly, the White Eagle product is designed to be applied with the hands and not a brush. I like to apply my lather with a brush and work it in. I get a better shave that way

I'm a big fan of the Speick creams and Mama Bear Soaps. I have the Proraso in my rotation because it does such a good job creating lather and gives a very slick shave. I'm not a fan of the heavy menthol feeling so I suspect it will take several years to get through my soap tub.

When you are first starting out, the consensus seems to be to stick with one soap/razor/blade combination until you are comfortable with your technique.
That last statement is probably the best advice I've seen yet. Cut out as many variables as possible. And yes I do apply the Khiel's with my hands not a brush.

I used Khiel's for years.

Then I discovered so many creams that I prefer.

In no particular order:

Castle Forbes
Gentlemen's Best
Geo F. Trumper
Edwin Jaegger
Proraso

and a slew of others.

experiment.
I'm truely excited about trying some of the different creams. Now to find a place to get them, samples, etc.!!

Top Bottom