What's new

Shaving Soap: To cover or not to cover

I have never kept my soap covered and I have observed two negative effects:

First- The fragrance often diminishes over time.

Second- The soap shrinks and allows water to make it's way down the inside and bottom of the shaving mug.

On the other hand I have noticed that most of the higher priced soaps come in a small tub with a lid. This would probably counteract the above two negatives.

But, does not the lid method encourage mold and bacteria?

I wouldn't think so leaving it covered. My typical soap usage goes like this

1. Soak brush in hot water
2. Swirl on soap for a bit
3. Replace lid on soap and put back on shelf.

Never had I had a problem with soap nastiness and I don't leave the soaps to dry either.

I'm no scientist, but I'd tend to think that mold and bacteria would have a hard time growing on soap.

If i don't leave my MWF open it loses its nice clean smell and starts to smell a little sour, and other soaps I've used end up wallowing in wet protolather which makes the bottom of the soap kinda soft and gross.

Last edited:
Let dry, then cover. i have over 30 soaps that have lasted well over 2 years or so using this method. No mess, no fuss.

marty

I give it about 30 minutes to dry a bit, then close it up. Some of the manufacturers suggest rinsing the slurry then drying , but I dont leave much slurry and its never caused a problem anyway.

I am in the camp of those who let dry and then cover. Usually this is in the evening of the same day of use. This has been my practice for many years with no ill effects. To my way of thinking it just makes good scents. (Pun shamelessly intended.)

Doug

No cover. I leave all my soaps exposed to the open air. It is no different than a bar of soap and you usually don't cover those up but rather leave them out in the open to dry after use.

It depends on the soap. If it comes in a bowl with a lid, I just put the lid on after I shave. If it is mug/cup soap, then I just leave the mug/cup uncovered.

I don't use a very wet brush when I load the soap, so my soap does not get saturated. I have never noticed much difference either way.

I remember being told the following anecdote. A medical professor walks into the lecture room, carrying a bunch of medical supplies. Today he will talk about the importance of asepsis. After a few minutes of introductory talk, he takes out a sealed packet, opens it, takes out the gauze contained within, and proclaims: This was an aseptic gauze!

The point is: open or closed won't matter, the bacteria and moulds will already have long since settled onto the soap. That is of course no reason to give them a pleasant warm and moist environment to grow in, even if soaps and creams a not easy for them to get a foothold. It has been known to happen, albeit sporadically, especially with products which are soft and contain no preservatives (notably Cella). Don't underestimate the buggers: they've been found in acid lakes with a pH of battery acid, and others have been isolated near hydrothermal vents where the temperature reaches 90 to 100 degrees C.

I keep my soaps lidded, if anything to keep them free from dust, but I don't seal the lids straight away. After shaving in the morning I place it loosely on the tin so that moisture can evaporate, then seal the tin in the afternoon.

I like to keep my soaps covered. My fear is that if I leave a number of soaps uncovered, the bathroom is going to smell like one of those small candle/dried herb stores my wife likes to visit.

I have never kept my soap covered and I have observed two negative effects:

First- The fragrance often diminishes over time.

Second- The soap shrinks and allows water to make it's way down the inside and bottom of the shaving mug.

On the other hand I have noticed that most of the higher priced soaps come in a small tub with a lid. This would probably counteract the above two negatives.

I let it dry out for a few hours before I cover it up. Since I go back and forth between 3 soaps and 4 creams, each of my soaps will spend most of their life covered up. Dry, and safe.

Top Bottom