What's new

The Tie Bar - thoughts?

Hi - I was just wondering if anyone has ties from this website? Another B&Ber was asking for advice on which tie to buy from there so I checked out the site and I really liked the fact that they had an extensive XL collection.

I am currently saving up to buy some XL ties at Brooks Brothers, but considering that I'd probably only be able to get two for about $100 there, as opposed to 4-5 at The Tie Bar, I thought I'd solicit some opinions. Thanks!

S

Sam

I found the Tie Bar (remember to use The when typing in the url) at askandyaboutclothes.com. It was started by 2 attorneys tired of paying $100 for ties that were not all that much better than ties you can get at Macy's on sale for $24.99. They are not trying to compete with Talbott, Charvet, or Borelli but they do stack up well from what I have read against Nautica, Geoffrey Beene, Donald Trump and other designer ties you find at Macy's Dillard's or even Jos. A Bank. I think that extends to Brooks Brothers as well.

If you realize that it is a $15 tie and not $75, and you expect half of what you would out of it than the $75 tie, you will be pleased. I have not ordered but may get 3 or 4 ties this weekend. Shipping is a flat $6 no matter what you get. I may get one or two pocket squares as well. So for $75, maybe 4 ties and two squares, and $8 shipping, that is a lot compared to one $75 Brooks Tie. I think it is worth a stab.

I was looking at the site and it looks good.
I should step my game up a bit.
I'm not fashionable. I buy ties at yard sales. :blushing:

If your paying less then $70 for a tie new its probably not worth owning.
That's a silly rule.

If you wear ties often, and thus wear them out quickly (or use a lot of silk-painful Windsor knots), these are fine. I own only one, and it's quite quality. I don't have any 70 dollar ties, but judging on price alone is a trap to be wary of.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
I have 4 of them and find their quality be rather good. I'm a predominantly a windsor knot guy and i do find these ties to be a tad on the thick side for the full windsor.

That's a silly rule.

If you wear ties often, and thus wear them out quickly (or use a lot of silk-painful Windsor knots), these are fine. I own only one, and it's quite quality. I don't have any 70 dollar ties, but judging on price alone is a trap to be wary of.

Not if you are connected to the industry and know what the cost of quality materials, designers and craftsmanship is.

I bought two slim ties and the 1 inch tie bar from The Tie Bar a few months ago. I have to say, the ties are nice for the price but they are certainly cheap quality.

I'll spend more on my ties next time, and get something Made in USA, instead of this China crap.

I am currently saving up to buy some XL ties at Brooks Brothers, but considering that I'd probably only be able to get two for about $100 there, as opposed to 4-5 at The Tie Bar, I thought I'd solicit some opinions. Thanks!

The trick with Brooks Brothers is to keep an eye out for sales. They normally have a deal where you get 30% off the second tie if you buy one a full price, but every once and a while they may have a 25% off sale on top of that. I think you can get on some sort of email list to be notified of sales.

It's tough to find XL ties, unfortunately. Brooks is the best source I've found so far. I haven't checked out the tie bar, though.

That's a silly rule.

I agree. i've scored many decent ties from the thrift store, many which probably cost $70+ when they were new. there might come a time in my life when I can justify spending $70 or more for a new tie, unfortunately, the money tree hasn't started growing in my backyard yet so not gonna happen anytime soon. besides, i've seen enough expensive ties with the dreaded 'made in China' tag that gave me pause, so a higher price doesn't necessarily equate to quality imo

Since summer is almost over, I have to wear ties again after labor day and just received several ties from the tie bar. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the ties. I like to buy the skinny ties similar to the ones I see in the tv series Mad Men. I wear the $15 ties to work and my more expensive ties for special events and parties.

I think the Tie Bar is a great idea. I own probably 30 ties and to be truthful, I am tired of half of them and the other half need to changed out. I just ordered 6 new ties for the fall season. At $15.00 a tie, I can afford to change my ties out more often.

bought three ties there just before my wedding, along with three tie bars. very sharp (and cheap)

the 1 and 1.5 inch tie bars are super snazzy.

S

Sam

Rich, I am like you. I have a few ties that yes, they are there to impress, texture and color-wise. Yet sometimes, you have to throw on a tie, in case someone comes to the office, but most days, it is me at a desk and I am in and out of file cabinents. I dont want the $150 tie on.

I am thinking the tie bar ties are as good as Macy's brands, like Nautica, Alfani, and maybe even as good as Jos. A. Bank. In that case, $15 for one or two years wear is fine.

So guys, what ties did you get there?

Yeah, I'm tired of ruining my expensive ties at work. I just received several ties for the tie bar; blue/white skinny rep tie, red/silver stripe rep tie, charcoal grey solid wool skinny tie, and a navy/white wool skinny tie.

My six ties arrived today. I must say that I am Impressed! The service was great and quick delivery. Here is what I mean: one of the ties that I ordered was out of stock. Someone called me from "The Tie Bar" on a Sunday to tell me to pick out another tie. THEY CALLED ON A SUNDAY? I could not believe that they were so eager to make me happy. I have never had someone call me about an internet order before, especially on a Sunday.

The ties were beautiful and they seem to be really well made. I really believe these people are legit.

My six ties arrived today. I must say that I am Impressed! The service was great and quick delivery. Here is what I mean: one of the ties that I ordered was out of stock. Someone called me from "The Tie Bar" on a Sunday to tell me to pick out another tie. THEY CALLED ON A SUNDAY? I could not believe that they were so eager to make me happy. I have never had someone call me about an internet order before, especially on a Sunday.

The ties were beautiful and they seem to be really well made. I really believe these people are legit.

Agreed...great ties at an even better price. They have great customer service and answered all my questions when I first ordered from them.

So I got my four ties from The Tie Bar and I really like them. Of course its early and alot of the measure of a great clothing item is how well they wear, but they seem really well made and substantial. Plus the customer service is top notch. The guy who runs it, Greg, was great to talk to over the phone when I placed my order. He reminds me of many of the B&B wet shaving vendors I've dealt with.

I received four ties from thetiebar.com. I am very impressed by the quality -- by far and away the best "cheap" ties that I own. The quality is WAY above the $15 price tag. I have paid four times as much for ties that are lower qulaity than this. I wear a tie every day to work, and own dozens of ties. I normally tie a half-Windsor, and think these ties are the perfect thickness for a nice knot. They may be a little thick for a full-Windsor knot. I will definitely be a repeat customer!

Top Bottom