What's new

Let's talk Trap and Skeet

What do you shoot?
What hardware do you use?
Which sport do you like better, Trap or Skeet?
Do you shoot a handicap?
ATA?
Doubles?

I've been shooting for more than 15 years and I just love it.
I'm better at Trap than Skeet. My weapon of choice is a 1974 Browning BT-99. You just can't beat a browning.
I use a Beretta O/U for Skeet.

So, let's get the ball rolling. Others out there must shoot these fine sports.

Used to shoot a lot with a friend of mine.

Haven't done it in years.

I was pretty good but we were real amateurs.

Honestly, I didn't even know there was a difference between trap and skeet.

Shows what I know.

Funny you wrote this, I've been thinking about it lately. I'll have to try and get back into it...

I have been shooting Skeet for about a year now. I wish I could go and shoot everyday.
Trap is ok, but from my experience skeet shooters seam to have more fun and are overall just better to talk too.

For skeet I use a 870 Wingmaster. There is nothing like shucking the gun when knocking down a pair. When I get the money I would love to get a nice Kolar O/U. :thumbup1:

Skeet is fun and more challenging up front. But since the birds don't change trajectory, you'll master it quickly. The real fun comes in when you use sub gauges like 20, 28 or even .410.
station 8 is a hoot. half the time you don't know how you get 'em

I actually went and shot skeet today after not touching my gun for two years(bird gun that is.) shot horrible, only hit 25 out of 60 clays :glare:.

Love using my remington 870 supermag to shoot with, really want to step up to a O/U someday, but that's in the future.

I love 5 stand and sporting clays. Started in skeet and trap, and enjoy a 28 ga ruger o/u with 28" barrels the most.

My best scores have been with a 50's 12 ga superposed - fits me like a glove.

my wife is gonna pay for me to go trap shooting soon, although, I still haven't fired a shotgun in my life. i'm still researching shotguns too but not having much luck.

my wife is gonna pay for me to go trap shooting soon, although, I still haven't fired a shotgun in my life. i'm still researching shotguns too but not having much luck.

Maybe we can help. What are you thinking of?

I love 5 stand and sporting clays. Started in skeet and trap, and enjoy a 28 ga ruger o/u with 28" barrels the most.

My best scores have been with a 50's 12 ga superposed - fits me like a glove.

I stink at sporting clays. Believe it or not, we don't have a Costco or Red Lobster but we have 4 trap, 2 skeet and a sporting clays course.
My brother shoots a superposed and rugers (among many others).
Nice guns.

Maybe we can help. What are you thinking of?

I started a thread over in the barbershop subforum called "remington vs winchester vs browning" not too long ago. right now i'm looking at the Remington 870 Wingmaster or the Browning BPS Hunter, although, i'm now starting to lean towards a Browning.

wow, I remember my first shotgun, was the wingmaster. that gun can take a hard lickin. used it pheasant hunting in illinois and up in iowa a couple times. performs like a champ.

A Wingmaster express was my first shotgun.
It can take a lickin' that's for sure.
The express was the cheaper version of the wingmaster, but still, it was well built.
If you do end up with one, it will have good resale value.
My brother owned a BPS. I'm a big Browning fan but I wasn't crazy about it.
He wasn't either and eventually sold it. That was many years ago. I can't say what they're like now.

A Wingmaster express was my first shotgun.
It can take a lickin' that's for sure.
The express was the cheaper version of the wingmaster, but still, it was well built.
If you do end up with one, it will have good resale value.
My brother owned a BPS. I'm a big Browning fan but I wasn't crazy about it.
He wasn't either and eventually sold it. That was many years ago. I can't say what they're like now.

the only plus that Browning gets from me is that it has the top tang safety, whereas, the Wingmaster has the safety by the trigger guard. I also don't mind that it ejects shells from the bottom. guess it all comes down to preference. i'm also considering price - the wingmaster will probably cost a couple hundred more than a BPS

BTW, saw a bit of your other gun advice seeking thread. I was gonna suggest a remington super-mag, but noted your aversion to the 3+ in shells. The super's a raging beast, I've only ever had the stones to chuck about a dozen of the 3 1/2's through it. Can we all say fitted a recoil pad after that day at the range.

I enjoy all the shooting sports, our local ( 50 miles away) range is under constant threat of being shut down because of development.

Sporting clays, tower shoots and trap with Browning OU 12 and skeet with the Browning OU 20 or an old SKB 20 OU.

I went trap shooting for the first time today and had a great time. all I can say is, what a difference an O/U shotgun makes when compared to a pump shotgun. I got a 9 out of 25 today but I have the Browning Citori to thank for that. ok, it's nothing to brag about but since it was my first try I was proud of myself

Top Bottom