What's new

Thoughts

When I was working, I was up early each day I just wanted to look presentable. Shaving was a task that had to be done, just like brushing your teeth.

Now that I am not working, still very busy every day. Since I stared DE Wet Shaving back in April, my grooming habits have changed dramatically. Each morning I look forward to my morning shave. I take a long hot shower to ease the stiffness of my arthritis. My badger soaking in warm water as I shower.
Choosing the soap or creme for the day's shave. Whipping up mounds of lather. Applying to your face is so fantastic. Choosing a razor with the blade of choice for the shave. Shaving is so comfortable and effortless with a DE
Razor. Shves are the best I have ever enjoyed.

Afterwards I choose the after shave splash for the morning, then the balm.
Then finishing with a cologne.

It makes the day seem right. I think DE Wet Shaving helps in wanting to improve your grooming habits. If you are getting a great shave, you just want to look great too.

Just my thoughts.

You're absolutely right. All grooming habits have been turned up a notch or two for me. Like you said, what's the point of having a BBS shave if the rest of you looks dirty, sloppy and stinks to high heaven! :tongue_sm

I couldn't agree more. I'm still working full time (insert appropriate bad language here) and will be for another 16 months, then I'm hoping to retire. In the meantime, I decided to go back to DE shaving about 4 years ago but since joining this forum, I've learned a lot including the ability to look forward to my morning shave as something other than just another chore on my to do list. I've also learned that experimentation is a good thing, just not with straight razors.
I've tried 1/2 dozen vintage and new razors and all of them are favorites. My go to favorite is a 1960's vintage speedshaver. I'm trying different blades and having my eyes opened to the fact that there really are other blades besides Wilkinson Sword Classic that will give a great shave. SWMBO has even noticed the change and commented appreciatevly. Bradley, it's great to find out that you hang out here too. It's a great place and finding a friend who's posting here just adds to the pleasure.

Interesting comments. My routine has changed somewhat. When I was working I would get up very early - 4:30 to 5:00 a.m. - shave and go off to the gym. By 3:00 p.m. it looked like I never shaved.

Now that I am retired I workout whenever I feel like - if my wife wants to sleep in it will be 7:00 a.m. - if she joins me it's 9:30 a.m. Then it's home where I enjoy a LEISURELY shave - something previously I could do only on the weekends. My routine now is to take my time, enjoy a hot towel and not be rushed. Previously shaving with a DE was a chore - now it is something to be enjoyed. Yes, it is wonderful to be able to leisurely decide what soaps and creams to use, which razor and blade, and to whip up some fantastic lather.

Today I had a 10:00 a.m. appointment and had "only" 20 minutes to shave and shower, and clean up. Took the fun out of shaving and reminded me of what life was like when I worked in the salt mines.
:w00t:

I viewed shaving as an unpleasant but necessary daily chore from the age of about 18 to 28, when I took up the DE. I used to avoid shaving at the weekends. Now I hardly miss a day - I don't like to miss a chance to try one of the mountain of soap, creams and other goodies I've acquired in the last two and a bit years. Never used to bother with aftershave except on special occasions, now it's an everyday thing and it's nice to be complemented on it.
I've even started putting stuff in my hair to style it when I used to genuinely wonder why anyone would do that.

I guess this is warning that with the DE comes a whole lot of other personal grooming habits most men probably never imagined themselves bothering with!

I've got nearly 30 years till retirement so I just hope that DE blades are still being made then.

When I was working, I was up early each day I just wanted to look presentable. Shaving was a task that had to be done, just like brushing your teeth.

Now that I am not working, still very busy every day. Since I stared DE Wet Shaving back in April, my grooming habits have changed dramatically. Each morning I look forward to my morning shave. I take a long hot shower to ease the stiffness of my arthritis. My badger soaking in warm water as I shower.
Choosing the soap or creme for the day's shave. Whipping up mounds of lather. Applying to your face is so fantastic. Choosing a razor with the blade of choice for the shave. Shaving is so comfortable and effortless with a DE
Razor. Shves are the best I have ever enjoyed.

Afterwards I choose the after shave splash for the morning, then the balm.
Then finishing with a cologne.

It makes the day seem right. I think DE Wet Shaving helps in wanting to improve your grooming habits. If you are getting a great shave, you just want to look great too.

Just my thoughts.

Right on the money my friend :thumbup1:. Shaving right makes you want to be a better man :thumbup:

There seems to be a common thread here. We retire and then start to appreciate what had formerly been a chore. Shaving for me has become something akin to a Japanese tea ritual. There are conventions to be followed and senses to be savoured. Shaving provides twenty minutes of 'me' time and for a little indulgence. Frankly I don't know how I ever had time to do anything before I retired.

Top Bottom