What's new

Yardley shave stick, this stuffs good

In my search for hidden gems (ok I admit it a butterscotch brush) I sometimes take a punt on old shave kits from the bay that have poor listings.

My latest one which cost me $5 including shipping turned up this.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now I've never used a stick before:blushing: so my lathering may not have been ideal but wow now I see the fuss that folks make over this soap.

A quick scrub on my face & a work over with my 620 gave me easily 3 passes worth & thanks to the tube being sealed I even had a light lavender smell.

I've no idea about the age of this stick but the kit also yielded a mint autostrop with 10 new blades & these little gems lurking in one of the tins.
proxy.php

I've figured out from the hallmarks that the fruit knife is from 1935 & the martini swizzler is from 1928 so I'm guessing its probably around the 30-40's for the soap

Shame he didn't fancy an Aristocrat as his weapon of choice but I think he must have been quite the gentleman in his time.:001_smile.

Nice stuff!!!

That looks like a Yardley English Lavender stick - fyi, it was sold in glass bottles (at least in the states). If the bottle has remained sealed, the soap has the strongest and most wonderful lavender scent of any soap I've used (including QED, C&S O&C). Does your soap retain its scent?

What a great buy - I paid substantially more for my Yardley stick!

proxy.php

Does your soap retain its scent?

Its definitely there but probably not as potent as yours, mines came in the standard steel tube with a double cap & the orange liner (stiff felt perhaps)

The tube itself does seal pretty well but I would imagine yours would be the better of the two for fragrance.

Now the search for the bowl version starts :biggrin1:

I've come onto a Yardly Black Label shave stick and the lather is great. I like shave sticks anyway.

I think mine is from the late 60s or early 70s. Came in a push-up plastic tube.

I've come onto a Yardly Black Label shave stick and the lather is great. I like shave sticks anyway.

I think mine is from the late 60s or early 70s. Came in a push-up plastic tube.

nice! ...if you ever want to pass it along....

I also have a Yardley shave stick refill (that is not English Lavender, not in glass, etc.) - looking at the foil wrapper, I think my "refill" is closer to the OP's great find. It is GREAT soap; it has a much milder lavender scent than the English Lavender.

If only my Yardley-in-the-bowl had some lavender scent remaining....

Wow! what a score congrats..I'm the guy that paid a ridiculous sum for a NOS 1930's Yardley bowl a couple months back. It definately has a lovely lavender scent but it also has this distinct aroma of the hardwood bowl as well...an interesting combo that I really enjoy. Would really like to compare it to a shave stick to see what exactly the unadulterated Yardley smells like. You did good on that one... :thumbup1:

Wow, what a great score! I can't believe the great price you paid for all of that vintage gear. The stick by itself is worth much more than you paid!

Congratulations!

Top Bottom