What's new

I need advice on my new quest

I am looking for the best shaving, open comb, long tooth and short tooth, gold finish, razor.

I plan to put this into my daily rotation alongside my gold, ball end Tech, one of my best shavers.

thanks

I am looking for the best shaving, open comb, long tooth and short tooth, gold finish, razor.

I plan to put this into my daily rotation alongside my gold, ball end Tech, one of my best shavers.

thanks

You just described the long tooth and short tooth New. Both have the reputation as among the best shavers made by Gillette.

Len

+1 on the New.

If you're looking for a new razor, the Merkur 1904OC, 11C and 12C are good. They have the same head so it's a matter of which handle you prefer.

I have six styles/makes of open combs and love them.

+1 on the New.

If you're looking for a new razor, the Merkur 1904OC, 11C and 12C are good. They have the same head so it's a matter of which handle you prefer.

I have six styles/makes of open combs and love them.

I have the Merkur 1904 OC and love it, though the handle is a bit short.

I am looking for a gold OC to complement my gold Tech.

I have seen both "New", and "New Deluxe".

Would you like to describe the differences if any, and what would be preferred ?
Maybe I could get both :thumbup1:

The long tooth New would be my suggestion. It's amazing!:thumbup1:

I agree also, as a matter of fact, when I decide to spend 70 bucks or so on new plating, the Gillette long tooth will be the one. The short tooth is next in line, but not quite as smooth, almost though. The fat handles are the best, while some were made with the old style handle also. Personally I would shout for a nice one and then wear the finish with use. :thumbup1:

I have the Merkur 1904 OC and love it, though the handle is a bit short.

I am looking for a gold OC to complement my gold Tech.

I have seen both "New", and "New Deluxe".

Would you like to describe the differences if any, and what would be preferred ?
Maybe I could get both :thumbup1:

Since you like to have a wide variety of razors, and you mentioned that you dont like a short handle so much. If I were to buy a new open comb, not vintage. I would get the Muhle open comb, the R41. It looks like a nice one. The handle is long, fat, but light. I think others would tell you that the muhle is one of the best new razors on the market. If you do get one, let us know what you think in compared to all your others, in shave quality and workmanship.

Since you like to have a wide variety of razors, and you mentioned that you dont like a short handle so much. If I were to buy a new open comb, not vintage. I would get the Muhle open comb, the R41. It looks like a nice one. The handle is long, fat, but light. I think others would tell you that the muhle is one of the best new razors on the market. If you do get one, let us know what you think in compared to all your others, in shave quality and workmanship.

Yeah, I saw that Muhle, and almost pulled the handle on it,,,,almost.

Especially when I saw the price here. Shipping was $4.95 to Tejas.
http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-R-41-Open-Comb-Safety-Razor.html

Luckily, for my budget, they're out of stock. I guess you can post any price if they are OOS. :lol:

You could always get whatever OC you want, and have member Buddydog replate it in gold. That way you're not limited to gold only OCs for your purchase.

I use the 1904-OC for my travel razor. I like the looks of my Old Type but it feels a little more aggressive than I like. Either of my New's, long and short tooth, are great. I do feel the teeth on the long but that's kind-of good. The 12C (the barber pole handle) is the heaviest but I'm not sure the Merkur OC's come in gold.

The biggest thing about open combs for me is that they allow me to shave my upper lip ATG comfortably. Any of you have something different about them that you like?

I don't know these guys but I can't seem to quit looking at this *Filtered Vendor*razor. Looks fantastic and is a long comb NEW (gold). Oops, I guess somebody knows them...

Last edited:
Top Bottom