What's new

Lab Series razor burn relief cream/balm

I'm just sort of getting in to shaving with a DE razor. So far it's going okay but I am suffering from razor burn usually. I have Proraso after splash lotion which I really like but feel I need a balm to sooth and moisturize. I already have this Lab Series Razor Burn relief lotion that I've used for years and I 'm wondering if this is about as fine a product as I can hope for before I go out and buy something else that does the same thing. One thing I really don't care for is the smell. It's smells mediciny and kinda kills the smell of the Proraso.

Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to other aftershave balms that specialize in razor burn relief?

http://www.labseries.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY6291&PRODUCT_ID=PROD9318#BVRRWidgetID

I'm a fan of Lab Series, but the Razor Burn Relief doesn't work as well for razor burn for me as their Triple Benefit Post-Shave Remedy. It's more of a gel than a lotion. But instead of those, I prefer Trumper's Coral Skin Food. Lots of glycerin, both soothing and sealing, and the faint floral scent fades pretty quickly.

I'd suggest trying Anthony Logistics Razor Burn Repair. It's great stuff, very colling and even has Benzocaine in it to reduce pain. Very useful to have for those days when the shave just doesn't go to plan!

I tried the Lab series and it did not work that well for me.

After I shave I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds (sort of a reverse hot towel!) Next I apply a splash of Thayer’s Rose Petal WH which provides soothing relief to my skin. I then use a skin moisturizer to provide relief. I like GFT’s skin food products and also a moisturizer I borrow from my wife. A little while later I use Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Face Lotion, SPF 20 or Nivea for sensitive skin.

I have found that certain products that claim they are for sensitive skin do not work for me because they contain alcohol which burn me. For example, I received a sample of Clinique post shave healer and it burns me too much.

I shower AFTER I shave and I have that applying hair conditioner to my face also provides some relief.

I tried the Lab series and it did not work that well for me.

After I shave I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds (sort of a reverse hot towel!) Next I apply a splash of Thayer’s Rose Petal WH which provides soothing relief to my skin. I then use a skin moisturizer to provide relief. I like GFT’s skin food products and also a moisturizer I borrow from my wife. A little while later I use Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Face Lotion, SPF 20 or Nivea for sensitive skin.

I have found that certain products that claim they are for sensitive skin do not work for me because they contain alcohol which burn me. For example, I received a sample of Clinique post shave healer and it burns me too much.

I shower AFTER I shave and I have that applying hair conditioner to my face also provides some relief.

I also shower after shaving and my beard is very hard and i have to wash the face with a neutral soap ( Lipikar from la Roche-Posay is great ), i scrub the beard with Gillette Series Gel Scrub ( also great for this purpose ),i apply and massage with a Pre-Shave Oil and i mix cream and shaving gel.It results very well, Lab Serirs for me is fantastic and i do not feel any alcohol.Also there is a fantastic After-Shave Balm from Avéne.Do you know it ?

Last edited:
I'm just sort of getting in to shaving with a DE razor. So far it's going okay but I am suffering from razor burn usually. I have Proraso after splash lotion which I really like but feel I need a balm to sooth and moisturize. I already have this Lab Series Razor Burn relief lotion that I've used for years and I 'm wondering if this is about as fine a product as I can hope for before I go out and buy something else that does the same thing. One thing I really don't care for is the smell. It's smells mediciny and kinda kills the smell of the Proraso.

Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to other aftershave balms that specialize in razor burn relief?

http://www.labseries.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY6291&PRODUCT_ID=PROD9318#BVRRWidgetID

It's a decent product, not bad but not that great either. Truthfully, you might find ( as I did) that you don't need to use razor burn relief products as your shaving technique improves.

To answer your second question, I find the Proraso liquid-cream aftershave to be quite soothing, and more effective than razor burn relief products by Lab Series, Jack Black, etc. Perhaps you could try the liquid cream with the splash, or even by itself and see if that works?

The body shop does a nice razor burn relief balm, and avon used to do, dont know if they still do, a real cheap but effective razor relief product.

I've also used the L.S. razor burn relief with great results. One thing you could do is scent it yourself by buying a small 1/2oz bottle of 100% essential oil from a natural foods store or other place in a scent you like such as Eucalyptus or Lavender, etc. Start with just a few drops.... I've used that process with eucalyptus and witch hazel too.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

Since I posted the other day I won an auction for a Gillette Fat Boy so I'll finally have a nice DE razor to use soon(to replace my old ball end open comb gillette).

After reading a bit more on B&B I'm excited to try either Musgo Real splash or Speick lotion. They both seem like they should do a better job at treating the razor burn and that they both would be acceptable moisturizers for at least these warmer months. Maybe I could look ahead to the dryer months and get Speick Balm instead..? I'm very curious to get the Musgo based on descriptions of the scent but the Speick has me maybe more intrigued for it's repairing qualities, not to mention it has alum in it already. If I got Speick I could save on buying an alum block.

All I have to do now is get a nice pre-shave oil or cream and I think I'll have a pretty nice setup. Up until now I've only used the hot water from my shower to soften my beard.

Any ideas or recommendation on where to read up on them? Having trouble finding a nice thread on pre-shave products.
Is this a good pre-shave oil?: Pacific Shaving Shave Oilhttp://www.westcoastshaving.com/Pacific-Shaving-Shave-Oil-12-Ounce_p_231.html
It's cheap and last 100 shaves it says :)

Last edited:
I use TH pre shave oil. It is not cheap but a bottle has lasted me more than one year. I also use Proraso pre/post shave in place of lather when doing Kyle's prep.

The Truefitt and Hill looks like it's very nice. I'm intrigued by the GFT skin food, it says it works well as both a pre-shave and an aftershave. Plus it's a little cheaper than the TH pre shave oil.

My bottle of Grooming Lounge Beard Master Shave Oil has lasted a year. Whichever one you decide on...I believe Meadowfoam Oil is a key ingredient to look for.
I have not tried Nancy Boy's pre-shave oil but from the ingredient list it looks good too.

Top Bottom