What's new

My new custom Rudy Vey Chubby!

I've been using my Simpsons-made-for-Hoffritz best-badger brush for 46 years now [OK, I have an Omega Boar that I use every now and then], and even though it's not worn out, I've been looking at the nice brushes that Rudy Vey makes. Last week I decided to get in touch with him and have him make one for me.

Rudy is a great guy to deal with: he's patient, he has a nice selection of handle material and knots, and can custom-make a handle in any solid color. He adds a personal touch to his communications with you, and is extremely knowledgeable about badger and brushes. He is with you every step of the way.

I had seen one of his brushes posted here in a light-green-and-cream marble/onyx - and that's what I wanted, but that material was a one-off and gone forever, so I chose the one in the photograph below. It looks like it's green marble, but if you look closely, it's chopped US currency suspended in clear acrylic! The black cap that he added was a nice touch too! The handle has a nice heft to it, and is well-balanced for the size of the knot: it feels just right in the hand!

Rudy asked if I use cream or soap [cream], and if I face or bowl lather [face], and based upon my reply he suggested four different knots in the diameter I wanted, and patiently explained the differences. I chose a Super Badger knot in the fan shape, with a loft of 50 mm and a knot size of 22 mm. This knot is densely packed, and has some backbone to it, but is soft to the face. The fan shape is perfect for face lathering, and in its first use with the reformulated Coates, it produced gobs of dense lather! I'm really well-satisfied with it, and it puts my Simpson's to shame!

Here's his photo of the brush; it arrived yesterday, and after using it, I am really impressed with it; his knots are up there with the best of them, and his workmanship is superb. If you're looking for a new brush, give Rudy a try!

I think Rudy Vey is a great craftsman and a gentleman to deal with. Oh my gosh, that brush is really, really calling to me! And ALL I own are the faux ivory handles--my favorite--but that is really compelling.

Another RV brush to soon join my overcrowded stable of brushes..........oh my!

Good job, the contours of that handle are perfectly accurate to the Simpson's Chubby.

Enjoy this one, you'll have it for many years to come.

C

46 years?!?! Can you post a photo of your Simpson/Hoffritz, please? Another great looking brush by Rudy, btw.

-Andy

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
46 years?!?! Can you post a photo of your Simpson/Hoffritz, please? Another great looking brush by Rudy, btw.

-Andy

I saw a picture of this brush, and it was surely amazing good looking for such an old specimen!

Top Bottom