What's new

"Black & Gray Box" vs. "Yellow Box" Feather Razor Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why, hello there!

I googled like crazy trying to find the answer to this, and I humbly apologize (well, I'm trying to look humble, anyway) if it's been answered left right and sideways...

I ordered a sample pack of razor blades (I'm a new DE shaver. Hello, B&B!) and included were a box of Black & Gray packaged Feathers. I ordered some Yellow-box too, as those were the ones that seemed to be getting all the hype, but I'm still a little in the dark as to the difference. Once unwrapped the two razors look identical (there may be a slight difference or two... I don't have them in front of me right now).

According to B&B's shave-wiki list of blades:

Hi-Stainless: These are the older blades that came in the black and gray package. They are not platinum coated and are no longer produced.

NeW Platinum Hi-Stainless: These are platinum coated blades that were produced along with the non-platinum blades back in the 80's. They have "Platinum Coated Blade" and "NeW HI-STAINLESS" printed on the blade. They do not have the Feather logo or "TRADE MARK" printed on them. They were discontinued along with the non-platinum blades in 1988.

Platinum Hi-Stainless: These are the current production platinum coated blades in the new yellow & red package BUT with the old style printing on the blade. They also have a new triple bevel edge.
-------

Okay... well, that kind of answers my question. But, seriously, does that mean that the Gray & Black pack is at least 22 years old?

And, most importantly, what's the difference in how they shave? I'm currently using the Yellow box Feathers, and I have to say I really like them, but what can I expect from the Black box?

Thanks in advance!

From what I understood (and I may be wrong), there is no difference between the modern black and yellow blades. The colours are simply used to differentiate the number of blades per box.

From what I understood (and I may be wrong), there is no difference between the modern black and yellow blades. The colours are simply used to differentiate the number of blades per box.

Really!? I guess that could be... the Black & Gray box has 5 razors, the Yellow Box, 10. I hope that's what it is. I do like these blades!

They are the same blade.

proxy.php

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
proxy.php

Samo-samo. 10 vs 5 per pack, or one came from behind the grassy knoll.

But for some strange reason everytime I see a post with this title I check to make sure ..

Oh, and as a consequence, the Red & Gray "Buckeye" brick holds 100 blades, while the Yellows have 200 per brick ..

I had a new Feather De razor delivered today and on the instructions it says that the blades are the same.I will shave with one of the blades in the package that came with the razor in the morning to see if I notice a difference.

Paul

As stated in this thread and previous threads, these blades are identical. The packaging differences are due to the fact they are oriented towards different target markets.

Most resources say that the current blades are all the same. Packaging colors tell you the contents.

Any differences you encounter are almost certainly going to be the result of one production run versus another.

As stated in this thread and previous threads...

If this is such a dead horse issue, maybe somebody should update the "shave-wiki blade list" faq. I searched every way I could think of in Google and found no answer. I should have used the Badger & Blade search, as that did return 2 relevant posts, but that knowledge came too late, apparently.

I'm new to B&B and was therefore unaware that this issue had been so thoroughly resolved. In the future, before asking a Newb question, I will undertake a more exhaustive search on this and other shaving sites before risking the journey out from shadows where, until now, I have lurked.

Quote from thrown.clear:

<If this is such a dead horse issue, maybe somebody should update the "shave-wiki blade list" faq. I searched every way I could think of in Google and found no answer. I should have used the Badger & Blade search, as that did return 2 relevant posts, but that knowledge came too late, apparently.

I'm new to B&B and was therefore unaware that this issue had been so thoroughly resolved. In the future, before asking a Newb question, I will undertake a more exhaustive search on this and other shaving sites before risking the journey out from shadows where, until now, I have lurked.>

If you don't ask an honest question, you can't learn anything. I don't mind a repeater. And it can be difficult to find something if you don't know where to start looking.

Bashful? Ask me in a PM. We'll get lost, together! :biggrin1:

If this is such a dead horse issue, maybe somebody should update the "shave-wiki blade list" faq. I searched every way I could think of in Google and found no answer. I should have used the Badger & Blade search, as that did return 2 relevant posts, but that knowledge came too late, apparently.

I'm new to B&B and was therefore unaware that this issue had been so thoroughly resolved. In the future, before asking a Newb question, I will undertake a more exhaustive search on this and other shaving sites before risking the journey out from shadows where, until now, I have lurked.
My comment was not intended be indicative of indignation but I can see why it could be easily seen as such, so I apologize. I only intended to indicate that this topic was discussed at length before and we have a number of prior threads, so if you have an interest you can search for them to glean additional details.

[Deep bow, from the waist] - I thank you, sir.

'S awright! And as you see, you mistook the spirit of DE Shaver's post. He was making an observation, not a judgment!

It's a pretty genial gang here; I'm not exactly a grizzled veteran around these parts myself, pardner.

But seriously, what I said is so. Ask! Someone will steer you in the right direction. It's confusing as hell with so many threads and topics.

But there are friendly native guides! :thumbup:

My comment was not intended be indicative of indignation but I can see why it could be easily seen as such, so I apologize. I only intended to indicate that this topic was discussed at length before and we have a number of prior threads, so if you have an interest you can search for them to glean additional details.

Just my .02...I don't feel you stated anything offensive. :thumbup1:

Hi there guys!
The feather black box is made in Thailand, Feather company has a factory there.
Only the yellow one are currently made in Japan!
This information come from a friend who lives in Thailand!
So the quality isn't the same, the black box has lower quality than the yellow one.
Thanks for reading this information!
If you have questions don't hesitate to contact me!

This
It's like Polsilver Super Iridiums and Wizamet Iridium Supers. Same blade, the former is tucks of five, the latter, ten.
I have it on information from the vendor Fendrihen that Feather Japan as well as their North American distributor have confirmed such on several occasions. If I knew how to post a link to their statement I would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom