What's new

Few Questions

Hi guys, :001_smile

I'm hoping to buy a new brush soon, and have a few questions...

How long will a brush typically last for?
Are they easily damaged?

Could you recommend one for a starter please... ? :tongue_sm

I will use it with cream.
Not too fussed on how it physically looks, I suppose I'd like one with a medium sized handle.
My budget would be about £40 (I'm English!), that's about $60 USD. Willing to spend more if necessary!

PS: I have few 'cans' of shaving cream/ gel I need to use up, can I use my brush with these?

Thanks! :001_cool:

Hi guys, :001_smile

I'm hoping to buy a new brush soon, and have a few questions...

How long will a brush typically last for?
Are they easily damaged?

Could you recommend one for a starter please... ? :tongue_sm

I will use it with cream.
Not too fussed on how it physically looks, I suppose I'd like one with a medium sized handle.
My budget would be about £40 (I'm English!), that's about $60 USD. Willing to spend more if necessary!

PS: I have few 'cans' of shaving cream/ gel I need to use up, can I use my brush with these?

Thanks! :001_cool:

A quality hand made badger knot like a Simpson's will last for more than 30 years if looked after properly. Eventually the tips of the hairs erode and the top of the brush starts to go towards concave. If you have 2 brushes of this quality (many people have more) then you have 60 years of shaving.

Other brands of brush may not last so long.

They are not easily damaged. Look at the mantic59 videos, buy a stand so the brush can dry bristles down, do not expose to extremes of heat and rinse thoroughly after every use.

For 40 quid you can buy a mid sized Simpson's. There is huge choice (20 basic models, some in different sizes and different types of hair) and it is very personal. Read the reviews on here and use the search function on the forum to see people's chat about them.

Throw the aerosols away, the sooner you start using a proper cream the better. Palmolive from Boots is cheap and very good, Maca Root from Body Shop is better. Go to the London Men's grooming shops and the choice is fantastic.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
A quality hand made badger knot like a Simpson's will last for more than 30 years if looked after properly. Eventually the tips of the hairs erode and the top of the brush starts to go towards concave. If you have 2 brushes of this quality (many people have more) then you have 60 years of shaving.

Other brands of brush may not last so long.

They are not easily damaged. Look at the mantic59 videos, buy a stand so the brush can dry bristles down, do not expose to extremes of heat and rinse thoroughly after every use.

For 40 quid you can buy a mid sized Simpson's. There is huge choice (20 basic models, some in different sizes and different types of hair) and it is very personal. Read the reviews on here and use the search function on the forum to see people's chat about them.

Throw the aerosols away, the sooner you start using a proper cream the better. Palmolive from Boots is cheap and very good, Maca Root from Body Shop is better. Go to the London Men's grooming shops and the choice is fantastic.

Wonderful advice from the Gentleman from Coventry.... Find a nice Simpson brush from their catalog...available online or through searches here with dimensions etc and then snag a good hard soap from Trumper, DR Harris, etc.... Bin the aerosols as suggested and you'll be so much happier indeed!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
A good brush can last a long time, I have restored a few that were over 30 years in daily use. I was also sent a picture last week by a customer showing me his Hoffritz brush (re-branded Simpsons) and he bought it in 1964 and used it most of the time till today. The brush looked very good for a brush that was in use for 46 years!!

Thanks for the replys,

I'm gonna do a bit more research. Sounds like Simpson are a good option then.

And again, the cream is another subject to read up on. I have a sample of The Art of Shaving cream from NKD Man to use.
Will also try the Palmolive cream, just seen it for £1.99 at superdrug :thumbup1:

Simpsons are a good choice, but a shavemac or Rooney would also be good. All are fine brushes. You might also consider looking at the B/S/T here as you will likely find a good deal on something that should work for you.

Simpsons are a good choice, but a shavemac or Rooney would also be good. All are fine brushes. You might also consider looking at the B/S/T here as you will likely find a good deal on something that should work for you.

So many to choose from, I'm just getting confused lol.

Are the differences in brushes dramatic?

The Edwin Jagger Best Badger is available at £20. I might buy one of them, and maybe invest in another later.

What are your opinions?

There are many good brushes to be had at the different price points. Boar brushes appear to be pretty popular on this forum, and they are very inexpensive, even for the high-end ones.

Personally, I would recommend a Vulfix-Simpson brush in the Best Badger grade. The Simpson Special brush is a smaller, cost effective option you might be interested. Also, there are other Simpson brushes that can be had at $100 or less.

Luckily, most shaving vendors are great and will refund or replace brushes that are defective. Vulfix is the only brush manufacturer that I know of that will back their products whether or not their vendors will. This adds another layer of security to your investment.

Even though I am a Simpson fan, other brush manufacturers make great brushes too. The Rooney 3/1 Super is a pretty good value brush in my opinion, so you might want to look into that as well.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I got a used pure badger brush from my neighbor. It's stamped 1969 and it still looks and feels nice :001_smile

My oldest brushes are about 25 years old, and are in fine condition. Since I have about 12 brushes, I have like 350 year's worth of shaving brushes in my cabinet........

There are many good brushes to be had at the different price points. Boar brushes appear to be pretty popular on this forum, and they are very inexpensive, even for the high-end ones.

Personally, I would recommend a Vulfix-Simpson brush in the Best Badger grade. The Simpson Special brush is a smaller, cost effective option you might be interested. Also, there are other Simpson brushes that can be had at $100 or less.

Luckily, most shaving vendors are great and will refund or replace brushes that are defective. Vulfix is the only brush manufacturer that I know of that will back their products whether or not their vendors will. This adds another layer of security to your investment.

Even though I am a Simpson fan, other brush manufacturers make great brushes too. The Rooney 3/1 Super is a pretty good value brush in my opinion, so you might want to look into that as well.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Nice, still got a lot of options. I will look into the Rooney and Vulfix.

So far the Simpson Eagle 2/3 and Duke 2 Pure shaving are the ones that I'm leaning towards the most, as they fit my budget perfect.

Almost bought the EJ Best Badger today, but realised I'm probably rushing the whole process.

Nice, still got a lot of options. I will look into the Rooney and Vulfix.

So far the Simpson Eagle 2/3 and Duke 2 Pure shaving are the ones that I'm leaning towards the most, as they fit my budget perfect.

Almost bought the EJ Best Badger today, but realised I'm probably rushing the whole process.

I've never used a Simpson brush in pure, but I do have a Simpson in best and it's very, very nice -- soft tips, good backbone, nicely packed. Works well with either creams or soaps. Best costs a little more than pure, but the consensus here seems to be that it's worth the extra money, and might be the best bang in the impressive Simpson line.

In the U.S., you can find a smaller Simpson brush in best for less than $50. I'm sure you can get a similar deal in the UK.

I've never used a Simpson brush in pure, but I do have a Simpson in best and it's very, very nice -- soft tips, good backbone, nicely packed. Works well with either creams or soaps. Best costs a little more than pure, but the consensus here seems to be that it's worth the extra money, and might be the best bang in the impressive Simpson line.

In the U.S., you can find a smaller Simpson brush in best for less than $50. I'm sure you can get a similar deal in the UK.

+1 a Simpson's in best is one of the best values in terms of what you get for your money. There are cheaper brushes but I have found no better all around brush. They have comfortably soft tips, and work very well with both soaps and creams. I know that you said you're using cream right now but when you want to try soaps the Simpson in best will be ready when you are. I have a few brushes and some are a little more task specific but if I could have only one it would be my Simpson Commodore in best. And you can get either that or their Colonel best for right around your budget.

I, too, would avoid the Pure Badger grade. This grade of badger hair might feel rough on your face. The Best grade give you an idea of whether or not you would like a more exfoliating fell or a softer feel in a future brush.

Cool, thanks for mentioning the grades, didn't realise that was important.

What grade is the Simpson Eagle 2? One website says it's pure, and another says best :blink:

Some of the Simpson handles have come in a variety of knot grades. If you look over the label it should have the grade embossed into the handle.

Some of the Simpson handles have come in a variety of knot grades. If you look over the label it should have the grade embossed into the handle.

Everywhere I've looked is sold out:thumbdown

---

I'm going to go for one of the following -

Duke - D2

Keyhole - KH2

Fifty Series 55

Persian Jar - PJ1

The Milk Churn

Out of these, which one would you purchase if in the same situation as me?

By the sounds of reviews, the Duke seems to be most popular.
Is the difference in these brushes big?

Thanks

Are you looking in online shops? In the States those models aren't too hard to find. But most of the ones you've listed are more expensive, I believe, than your original budget, at least they are here. Check shipping costs verses the more expensive brushes and see what seems like the best deal to you. There all quality brushes I think performance-wise you'd be pleased with any of them.

Are you looking in online shops? In the States those models aren't too hard to find. But most of the ones you've listed are more expensive, I believe, than your original budget, at least they are here. Check shipping costs verses the more expensive brushes and see what seems like the best deal to you. There all quality brushes I think performance-wise you'd be pleased with any of them.

Yeah, I'm looking at the UK online shops.
Good idea, but it's probably best to get a slightly better brush, and save the money + hassle of international shipping!

I think I'll go for the Duke 1 or 2 sometime this week... Depends on how kind I decide to be to myself :blush:

Top Bottom