What's new

Automatic vs Quartz Watch Movements?

I'm looking to treat myself to a new wristwatch for my birthday, and thanks to some recommendations from fellow B&B members, I've fallen in love with some of the watches manufactured and sold by Christopher Ward in London.

Several of the watches I'm interested in are available with either an automatic (self-winding) movement or a battery-powered quartz movement. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of each. I'm just looking for an everyday watch, not a collectible.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I wear an automatic Seamaster everyday including during sports. That is one gorgeous and fine working piece. The reason I appreciate an automatic is becuase it is somewhat of a living thing! Becuase it requires some adjustment every week and needs to be worn in order to maintain it's wind the piece becomes a part of your life in a good way. An battery watch never was interesting to me, they seem dead! I'm in the market for a wind up watch now...you can see where this is going?

Mechanical (automatic) watches are outdated, and inferior technology. They will never keep the same time as a good quartz, and you can always get a self-powering quartz that does not need to be opened. Some have exceptional features, including 'radio' time updates. And the'll never have the maintainance costs of mechanical watches. That said, I'll only wear a mechanical watch.

All quartz movements are essentially the same, whether the watch is a $15 Fossil or something 100 times that price. So when you buy a nice quartz watch, you're buying an expensive bracelet with a movement worth a couple dollars. That said, the quartz is accurate, no question.

The last time I was looking for a watch, my criterion was that I wanted something nice enough to be worth repairing if it ever needed it.

On a more useless note, if there are every high altitude nuclear EMP bursts, my watch will keep on running. Like that will matter...
The question is how long will you be capable of moving your wrist to wind the mainspring...? :huh:

Mechanical (automatic) watches are outdated, and inferior technology. They will never keep the same time as a good quartz, and you can always get a self-powering quartz that does not need to be opened. Some have exceptional features, including 'radio' time updates. And the'll never have the maintainance costs of mechanical watches. That said, I'll only wear a mechanical watch.
Sounds like the argument for DE razors vs. cartridges! Hmmm...since I just dumped a modern, high-tech razor in favor of an outdated, inferior technology, maybe I should apply the same logic to my wristwatch? Something to consider...

Here's the tradeoff: quartz accuracy versus no more battery replacement.

I judged that eliminating the recurring cost of replacing batteries was outweighed by the mechanical movement. It's not just the cost of the batteries, but if you want to have your waterproof watch opened and sealed properly, then pressure tested, this isn't going to come without some cost.
I can appreciate that. I just had the battery replaced in my Victorinox Swiss Army Officer's watch. Took almost 4 weeks to have it done at an authorized service center and cost me $90. Included in that was cleaning, replacement of the gaskets, and proper resealing. Doing that every 3-4 years will definitely add up over time.

...periodic maintenance inspections of an automatic watch. I just don't know how often an automatic needs to be looked at. But each time, that's probably going to cost a similar amount. New gaskets, check regulation, whatever else they do?

My mechanical has been ticking nonstop for 20+ years, and never had any maintenance.

Most of the watch snobs prefer a mechanical movement. There just a different feel having a mechanical watch on your wrist. Just consider all the engineering that goes into a watch; how all those tiny parts work together to keep accurate time within a few seconds a day. It truly is amazing! So IMHO, I would definitely go with a mechanical watch.

Both movements have their merits. I've never found replacing the battery a difficult or annoying procedure. Especially since I own several watches. When the battery dies I go to the watch guy and have a look around, maybe shoot the breeze about the new models.
Having said that, I'd love an automatic because I like to look at the cool display backs and watching the rotor spin 'round.

If you are buying the watch as a special timepiece to enjoy for years I would go with an automatic mechanical. Quartz watches are almost unmatched for timekeeping accuracy and low maintenance. But as previous posters have said, most of them lack some intangible qualities that mechanicals seem to have.

Presuming both watches are in styles that you want, there isn't any real significant performance advantages an automatic will have over an battery powered quartz watch. Quartz watches will have a much greater accuracy and other than the need to change batteries (or capacitors in the case of kinetic/solar powered watches), have lower maintenance requirements. It is recommended that automatic watches receive periodic maintenance, which has a non-zero cost and can be expensive depending on the model. Almost all automatic watches are significantly more expensive than their quartz counterparts. Quartz watches are efficient and very accurate when compared to their automatic equivalents.

However, I prefer automatic watches or quartz watches for several reasons. Foremost of which is that automatic watches are far more interesting and have character. Each one is a little different from each other. They also require more interaction by their users, usually to reset time when required, which makes them more interesting in my view. Many automatic watches have clear backs that showcase their internal movements. There a many enthusiasts that compare movements and other features of automatic watches, something not as readily found with quartz movements. There is also the component of owning a "crafted" object over a owning another electronic device.

So, do you want a efficient, functional timepiece or an characterful, crafted one?

Here is the bottom line. If your someone with an appreciation for the quaint and complications and things mechanical get the auto watch. If all you want is a nice watch that keeps good time buy the quartz. You should be able to get a battery change for maybe 9 bucks and they don't need regular service for probably 10 years or more unless it's a dive watch. A mechanical if you want it to keep decent time needs service every 5 years or so and expect to pay from about $125 on up depending on the brand and how complicated it is. If you buy a basic Seiko or Citizen mechanical they have loser tolerances so they can go longer between service.

Christopher Ward makes very nice watches for the money. he can do that because most parts and assembly is done in asia.

So, do you want a efficient, functional timepiece or an characterful, crafted one?
You mean I can't have both? :tongue_sm

Although I've never owned anything other than manual winders (sometime during the middle part of the last century!) or quartz watches, I'm really leaning toward giving the automatic movement a try. I've still got a couple of decent quartz watches if I really need the accuracy and convenience, but the mechanical option is very appealing to my appreciation of finely-crafted instruments.

Thank you all for the feedback...it's been very instructive and useful!

:lol:

This, exactly. If I only wanted to know what time it is, I'd look at my phone.

OTOH, I'm getting a boss G-Shock for my birthday, so if anybody wants to know what time's high tide on the N American west coast, PM me :biggrin1:

How about having both in one? Chronoshark has a good deal on the Seiko Arctura kinetic today only for $269. It retails for $925. An automatic watch with quartz accuracy. Here's the link: www.chronoshark.com.

proxy.php

Last edited:

:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

The solar powered Citizens or the mechanically driven dynamo of the Seiko kinetics are good examples of quartz watches that don't use batteries.
The problem with kinetic and solar powered watches is that the capacitors require changing periodically and the rotors may require maintenance as well. I recently found out how expensive such maintenance can be.

The problem with kinetic and solar powered watches is that the capacitors require changing periodically and the rotors may require maintenance as well. I recently found out how expensive such maintenance can be.

I'm curious how expensive this is. If it approaches the cost of the watch itself, then of course all bets are off. Also, how long on average before this kind of maintenance needs to be done?

By comparison, a CLA on a Rolex, Omega, JLC, IWC or the like can be extremely expensive (but in relation to the cost of the watch itself is much smaller percentage-wise than with the kinetic/solar powered watches).

I'm curious how expensive this is. If it approaches the cost of the watch itself, then of course all bets are off. Also, how long on average before this kind of maintenance needs to be done?

By comparison, a CLA on a Rolex, Omega, JLC, IWC or the like can be extremely expensive (but in relation to the cost of the watch itself is much smaller percentage-wise than with the kinetic/solar powered watches).

The capacitor replacement costs about $80, which is a significant for a $350 watch and was to be done after 5 years of use. The rotor maintenance was another $180 more. As you can see, it's not inexpensive, especially when compared to the initial purchase cost of the watch.

Double edge razors are outdated, and inferior technology. They will never shave as well as a good cartridge razor.

Top Bottom