What's new

4711; Smells like PEZ?

Today I received a bottle of 4711 aftershave for the first time.

I would first like to say that I am highly impressed with the quality of the product overall; Very handsome glass bottle, lovely seafoam-esque color.

However, I am at a bit of a cross roads with the scent. To my nose it smells distinctly like PEZ candy. :blink: I understand that the PEZ name comes from the German word, Pfefferminz, which means Peppermint; That's exactly what I smell and I don't know if I like it.

What do you guys think?

Its not PEZ for me, more floral and similar to a lot of citrus-floral scents I have experienced.

It is sweet. When I finally got to experience it, after all the hype and hoopla, it seemed like many scents I had come across before. The difference is, that 4711 was the original and so the many followers that are similar are imitative, and hence the familiarity.

In Europe, especially Germany, it would be considered trite or fey for a guy to use 4711 because its so "played" there. However, here in North America, I find women comment positively on it after a kiss or hug, because its not too heavy and its not what many expect on a guy these days (perhaps a break from Axe and others of that mold).

Just my 2 cents, YMMV. I have a big bottle of it and use it several times a month. I am also finding it to be similar to Aqua di Parma Assoluta. Again, just my olfactory interpretation.

C

I remember someone on these boards from overseas mentioned that over there 4711 is considered an elderly ladies perfume. :huh:

To your nose, does it smell anything but manly? I'd like to try this stuff eventually.

Ever smelled D.R. Harris Arlington? I think No. 4711 is almost a dead-ringer for it. Or vice versa, I suppose. I think they both smell lovely, for the record.

Its not PEZ for me, more floral and similar to a lot of citrus-floral scents I have experienced.

It is sweet. When I finally got to experience it, after all the hype and hoopla, it seemed like many scents I had come across before. The difference is, that 4711 was the original and so the many followers that are similar are imitative, and hence the familiarity.

C

That seems similar to what I've noticed. There wasn't much PEZ - although it's been a long time since I've munched on some :biggrin1: - but I do get fresh, lightly sweet citrus. I don't know of anything I've smelled that's extremely close, but it does have a familiar air about it.

It may be different in Europe, but I haven't had any "you smell like a little old lady" comments here in California. Actually, the only comment I ever got from anyone while wearing it was that I smelled fresh and clean. And after a hot day of running around the classroom with my students, I was pretty glad to hear that!

In Europe, especially Germany, it would be considered trite or fey for a guy to use 4711 because its so "played" there.
C

That is an interesting cultural observation. Perhaps those reactions are similar to American feelings on such standby products as Old Spice and Skin Bracer. But even with products out there like AXE, I don't think trite is a proper summation of the character or intent of one who wears such things.

Interesting. I get a sweet floral scent off it, but it doesn't smell like Pez to me.

I don't wear it terribly often, but do enjoy 4711. I'd probably put it on more often if it had more staying power. I like to use it after night shaving, since it's fairly priced and I enjoy the scent as I drift off.

Definitely citrus then floral. It doesn't last all day but it is quite noticable when close. May be surprising the first time but it is very addictive.
It is my favourite cologne. I use it often in rotation with other AS but I always wear it before going to bed (so nice). :thumbup1:

That is an interesting cultural observation. Perhaps those reactions are similar to American feelings on such standby products as Old Spice and Skin Bracer. But even with products out there like AXE, I don't think trite is a proper summation of the character or intent of one who wears such things.

I didn't write that I thought it was trite to wear AXE.

I wrote that it would be considered trite by many in the country of origin to wear 4711, because its so mainstream there, a reaction I have experience with following travels in Koln.

Floral for me..can't really see the citrus. In another post someone said it smelled like fruit loops or fruity pebbles. (I can see that)

Floral for me..can't really see the citrus. In another post someone said it smelled like fruit loops or fruity pebbles. (I can see that)

Just went and took another whiff from my big bottle of 4711; yep, I could say Froot Loops [sic] is not so far, but without the cornmeal dry down....:lol:

I didn't write that I thought it was trite to wear AXE.

I wrote that it would be considered trite by many in the country of origin to wear 4711, because its so mainstream there, a reaction I have experience with following travels in Koln.

The trouble with 4711 over here is that it's always been marketed and thus linked to old people. I've yet to encounter any person under 65 - or any man at all, for that matter - to wear Kölnisch Wasser, and I'm actually living in Köln. The brand itself is tremendously well known in Germany, still - if I bought a bottle of the AS or the Cologne and came to work with a whiff of 4711, both friends and colleagues would shoot me a look that'd say "Really? What's next, a walking frame?"

I've tried this twice, using the sample bottle at Sears. It's a quality product, but the smell reminds me of my junior-high German teacher. I'm pretty sure she wore this stuff.

I remember someone on these boards from overseas mentioned that over there 4711 is considered an elderly ladies perfume. :huh:

To your nose, does it smell anything but manly? I'd like to try this stuff eventually.

I read somewhere that is a bi-sexual cologne/perfume. When there's only one, way back in the day, both men and women bought it.

I didn't notice any peppermint or pez smell. To me is was like others have said; floral and maybe some citrus.

Most complaints nowadays are probably related to the use of synthetic neroli in the blend. It has a distinct and different odour from the real thing. Cheaper, too. This could be your PEZ-like candy smell.

Be seeing you.

I'd call it "borderline" masculine. Mrs. Smith immediately said it smelled like old ladies though.

I'm not in love with it by any means, but I like it occasionally as a change of pace. If I live long enough to finish the bottle (which will be very long indeed at this rate), I'm not sure I'll buy another.

I just picked up a a big bottle of this stuff at Walmart today for $6. To me it is strongly floral, citrusy and a bit of powder.

I've heard the same. I had some friends from Germany who thought it was unbelievable that men would wear 4711. According to them, it was a product absolutely associated with old ladies in Germany.

Top Bottom