What's new

Before I wound myself....

Hi all! Lemme first say thanks to all of you who have taken the time to
leave all this valuable info and feedback on this site. It's been very helpful with trying to purchase my first DE. So here's the problems I have so far...

1) I bought 2 razors and don't know which to start with
2) I don't know which blades would be "good" to start with or where to get them. Locally I have wilkinson sword , and personna available.

The razors are both gillette TTOs one is a blue tip date code b3
the other doesn't have a color and is date code a1.

I've been wetshaving off and on because it's the only way to get a decent shave with my sensor excel without making 8 passes and getting rzrburn.
Any feedback especially on the razors would be great.
Thanks

Could you be more specific about the razors. Pics would be helpful. The blue tip should be a mild super speed.

If they look similar you have a Blue Tip Super Speed and a Flare Tip Super Speed. Use the Blue Tip first, as it is a milder razor. Then once you are used to it, give the Flare Tip a try.

Any blades are fine to try at first. I started with Personnas

They r both superspeeds I think I'm not on my computer right now so I'll be unable to get picks up for a few hours

Last edited:
If they look similar you have a Blue Tip Super Speed and a Flare Tip Super Speed. Use the Blue Tip first, as it is a milder razor. Then once you are used to it, give the Flare Tip a try.

Any blades are fine to try at first. I started with Personnas

Great advice! And Personnas are a good starter, they seem to be a bit more forgiving, as for me I started with Feather's.

I've used both those razors. The Blue Tip is slightly milder than the 'regular' SS.

It won't make a lot of difference if you start with either, but as has been mentioned, it may make more sense to start with the Blue tip.

+1000 on the blade samplers.

Personally, I'd stick a Red IP in there and shave away.

Watch Mantic's videos.

Have fun.

+1 on everything said above... and +1000 on a blade sampler. Most members will tell you that they have a favorite blade... when I used a DE Crystals were my favorites and all others paled to them.... Of course YMMV thats why a blade sampler makes the best sense

Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you have 2 great examples of vintage Gillette DEs there! The Blue Tip is milder than your other razor, but a regular Superspeed will definitely not hack your face off. Just remember to use a light touch. No pressure means no pressure. Let the weight of the razor and the blade do the work for you. You are simply there to guide the razor and tell it where to go. Let us know how your 1st shave goes. I think you'll be hooked immediately. I know I was!:thumbup1:

Welcome to the B&B. You have two great vintage Gillette razors but then I am biased toward them. I have had a good experience with Jeremy aka "Aneurysm" in the vendor corner of the Marketplace forum on the B&B. There are other good choices available that some members have suggested. Either way the sampler pack is a definite +1000. Visit often and enjoy the journey.

Heres the pics of them that where on ebay, hope they arrive soon but obviously not before the blades I order. Initially I wanted to just get the merkur hd shortie that is so cool looking because it would have been new but after having found such an informative site and reading about the quality of these older razors i figure y not get 3-4 vintage razors for the same money? So I bought a fatboy when i had a few mins to kill before leaving work. I dont know what im gonna do with three razors or why I bought them all. Or for that matter why I find that the 3 piece ball tech and the slim adjustible to be so desirable and I even found a gem micromatic i liked except it was SE............. anyway thanks for the advice and any info on the razors although the reviews on them are pretty informative, oh and mantics vids r awesome def gonna have to give them another look before i try any of those rzrs.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Either Superspeed are good to start with. The Blue tip is milder, you might want to pick that one first.

For the blades, if you can try at least 4 different blades, that would be best. Between Wilkinson Sword and Personna I would pick Wilkinson Sword first and if they don't feel right, move to Personna.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom