What's new

First shave with my new Muhle R89

So I have just one question. Why oh why are Merkurs the most popular DE razors? I've been shaving with a Merkur HD for 2 years now and have always liked it. But based on reviews I just had to get a Muhle. Also considered the EJ. But for no particular reason got the Muhle. All I can say is I can't see me picking up my Merkur again. Not sure what Muhle did with the design of the head. But I love it. Never knew a DE razor could be so smooth. Yes it is slightly less aggressive than the HD. But for me that is a plus. I used a Feather which I often find a bit rough for me. But in this razor it was perfect. Got one little weeper on my neck. Didn't even feel it. But the rest of the shave was flawless. It just simply felt better than the HD. As for the handle being light "like an empty soda can" I see why one would say that. But when Shaving the balance for me was just right. What can I say. After one shave I love this razor. Can't wait for my next shave. A definite winner.

Inertia. There is a large backlog of great reviews for Merkur razors, while the Muehle head has only been around for about a year.

The R89 is an excellent razor, capable of close but comfortbale shave.

My understanding is that the head was developed jointly with Edwin Jagger and used with both brands' razors. Muhle manufacture the heads and Edwin jagger add their own handle.

Muehle didn't do anything with the design of the head; it's made by Edwin Jagger :001_smile

It's a great razor and I favour a Feather in mine as well.

I thought the EJ's used a Muehle head, not vice versa? At least that is the way it is usually presented in the descriptions that I have read. I suppose it doesn't matter which of the two actually makes it, it is supposed to be a very good shaver either way. I was just curious which of the two companies actually owns the design.

- Steve :001_cool:

I thought the EJ's used a Muehle head, not vice versa? At least that is the way it is usually presented in the descriptions that I have read. I suppose it doesn't matter which of the two actually makes it, it is supposed to be a very good shaver either way. I was just curious which of the two companies actually owns the design.

- Steve :001_cool:

I was under the impression that Edwin Jagger designed the head. The previous incarnation of the Muehle R89 used an Italian head (I forget the name) and I understand that the R41 uses a Merkur head.

Indeed, those heads are amazing. I'm still tinkering with the Merkurs out of sheer curiosity, but I definitely can't imagine them beating my R106.

That´s funny. Today I also got my first Mühle R89 shave (w/ Feather yellow blade) and it proved to be in either construction quality or performance better than my Merkur 38C. Although it seemed to be less agressive than the Merkur, the head angle is likely to be more eficient.

To my knowledge Muhle makes the head for both their razors and the EJ. The handles are all that differs. If I am wrong someone please chime in. But pretty sure I'm right.

Top Bottom