What's new

My First Restorations...

Here they are. The before photos appear in two other posts. Quite honestly the original knots in the Black over White Every-Ready and the Ever-Ready 500E were in pretty good shape as they were but I couldn't resist changing them anyway. The Rubberset 301N was a badger wrapped nylon or something and was awful.

Here they are with their new knots from TGN:

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Going left to right:

Rubberset 301N with a 22mm Super Badger Bulb set at an approx. 52mm loft. That's a nice cream top over a marbleized green base.

Ever-Ready Black over Butterscotch (cailtin sp) with a 20mm Silvertip Badger also set at approx. 52mm.

Ever-Ready 500E Yellow marbleized over a green and brown swirly, marbled base with a 20mm 2-band Finest Badger also set at approx. 52mm.

You might recall from one of my earlier posts that the yellow topped Ever-Ready cracked into 3 pieces while I was removing the original knot. I use Super-glue (Krazy-Glue) to put them together. Then every time I worked with it right up until last night while I was trying to fit the knot, it cracked again. It's now glued in multiple places but holding strong. I think now that the epoxy is inside it's good to good. It is really a beautiful.

I did encounter what I think are rookie restoration issues. The first one was the 500E Ever-Ready that I filled with a little too much epoxy. Some of the glue was sucked up into the hairs of the knot. The next one, the 301N Rubberset has much less and the Black over Butterscotch Ever-Ready has none.

I'll post full bloom photos when I get a chance.

Mike

Last edited:
Wow, I must have been really tired when I typed this post. The title alone has 2 typos and the rest reads really poorly. Is there any way to correct the title?

Mike

Wow, those are gorgeous handles. Unusual and pretty. Well done.

Hit the edit to correct text, I do it at least once per post :laugh:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice work... for the title, only a mod or admin can change it...

Thanks guys. Sorry for the pic quality, that was my first photo with my new Nikkon camera and although it is an automatic I must have done something wrong. The second photo of my new arrival was must better. I'll retake and post it.

Mike

New photos. The Ever-Ready black over butterscotch is in full bloom. I haven't had a chance to use the others yet.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Mike

Top job Mike :thumbup:

There's a certain self satisfaction you get from restoring a brush and being able to use it knowing the love and attention you've put into it. :001_smile

I really like the green/brown/yellow one.

I use minimal epoxy when reknotting, just enough to cover the bottom and the sides of the knot holder. I figured I'd rather have to reglue the knot if it falls out ( which hasn't happened yet ) than overfill and have epoxy leaking out.

Bit disappointed though....no SB satchel as a backdrop :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. There is a great deal of satisfaction in bringing vintage items back to their former glory.

Ian, thanks for the tip. That's what I did with the last one, the black/butterscotch Ever-Ready.

The yellow/green-brown Every-Ready is a beautiful handle. Too bad I had to repair several cracks (you can see some of them in the pic). Funny thing happened with it this morning. I used it for the first time and I now have yellow stains on my thumb, 1st and 2nd fingers just like a long-time smoker.

Paul, yeah she's nice. The lettering held up well.

Mike

Top Bottom