What's new

safety razor + shaving oil and nothing else

Hi guys,

I have an unfortunate combination of very sensitive skin and a hard but coarse beard.

After suffering from razor bumps for years, I have reduced them significantly after changing to a 2 blade disposable (as opposed to the 3 and 5 blade I was using before) and instead of using foam, gel or cream, I use shave oil.

I have read a lot about safety razors and I would definitely like to try them. However, everybody seems to be using shaving cream and pre shave oil, but not shave oil straight up. I dislike shaving cream and soap, and I have tried several over the years.

I was wondering if anyone around here does it with shave oil straight up or if you think this is a good idea.

Thanks for the help!

I gave it a go with just shaving oil, and it did not feel protective enough for me. I got some irritation. My technique is not flawless, so thats a factor to be sure. You can give it a try and see how it works for you. Wet shaving is such a personal thing that all you can do is experiment and see what is right for you.

There are great products out there for sensitive skin too. I have a tub of Jermyn Street Collection Shaving Cream Bowl for Sensitive Skin. I know you dont want a cream but this is very mild stuff that has a wonderful oceanic scent. Let us know how things turn out for you.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B!

It sounds like you are on the right track. For years I used nothing but shaving oil (Somersets) with a Sensor. But as my beard thickened with age, that didn't work anymore. For me the soaps and creams are simply better.

That said, there is nothing stopping you from using a DE, SE, or straight razor with shaving oil. I suspect it would demand excellent technique, since the oil won't give you much cushion.

I would try something like this. http://shavesecret.com/ You can get it at Wal-mart. I is intended to be all you use unlike shave oil which is not intended to be used only. Some purest types may not like it, but I have found it to be very good alternative when I want to take a break from the soaps and creams or travel.

Welcome to B&B.

Seduced by the advertising and promotions, the promises of no razor burn, the emphasis on use of EOs to protect the skin I tried shave oils in the past and can honestly say, never ever again will I use shave oils.
Never, Never, Never.

I do however use pre shave oils which I do find helpful but I couldn't recommend using a shave oil to anyone.

I would try something like this. http://shavesecret.com/ You can get it at Wal-mart. I is intended to be all you use unlike shave oil which is not intended to be used only. Some purest types may not like it, but I have found it to be very good alternative when I want to take a break from the soaps and creams or travel.

I find this stuff gums up the blade making it more trouble than it's worth.

a quick back and forth in sink water between cuts keeps mine from getting gummed up. I do that with creams so I am not changing my habits or routine.

Also, you may want to try Shea Moisture (now @Target/ Wal-mart). I have found many people who have struggled with bumps and irritation over the years find relief in use of DE and these products (pre-shave beard lifter & facewash/shaving cream/after shave. They specifically say the are intended for single blade shavers. The shave "creme" is unlike any cream/soap/oil I have ever tried. It is almost like butter in its consistency.

H

hathela

traditional wet shaving is fun.. though perhaps time consuming..
a decent shaving soap or cream is the answer.
pre-shave oil dont really help me and i observe little to no difference in the shave quality
again, thats my way of looking

I was wondering if anyone around here does it with shave oil straight up or if you think this is a good idea.

I get wonderfully close and comfortable shaves using shave oil. My favorite oil is Pacific Shaving Oil which you can look up where to buy here.

Pacific Shaving Oil splashed with water is in my rotation, but so are face lathered soaps and creams.

Enjoy. I hope going to one blade is even more of an improvement for you than going down to two blades.

Kos produce a nice shave oil that does actually lather, and in all respects is a oil based gel for sensative skin, i had a free sample of this, and its quite good, pumps out like a gel, but spreads like an oil, its called Kinexium Shave Serum.

Shave Secret provides a mild shave but has a clove aroma you might not like. For $4 it's worth a try. I sometimes use a mix of 50% olive oil and 50% castor oil; it gives a very mild shave but needs more rinsing of the razor. I use both of the above without any additional soap or cream.

Thanks for the messages guys.

I will try it using shaving oil only. The only oil I use is organic olive oil and it works wonders when using the disposables. It took me a while for me to forget my bad habits when using foam, such as applying a lot of pressure on the blade and not shaving with the grain. But now I get a very close and comfortable shave, lets see how it goes with the DE!

The reason I'm changing to a DE is simply because I think the disposables are an environmental hazard since they can't be recycled. Does anyone know where to send DE blades to be recycled in the UK?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I tried the shaving oil shave, it works but it's not as great as a shave with lather. From what I understand, you find the opposite to be true. That's all right, we all have different tastes!

Gents,

sorry to revive this old threat, but just want to share my experiences for someone who may ask themselves the same question in the future.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the experience. I bought a Merkur Progress and shave every other day. My job requires me to look presentable, but I find that the shave is so good that I get just a little stubble on the 2nd day, enough to be passable.

The shave quality is excellent. My skin not only feels much more smooth but also I rarely get any ingrown hairs. The learning curve was quite steep - took me about a month to get it right, but this included experimenting with different blades.

I tried the Merkur blade that came with the razor, and it was crap. I then proceeded to the Derby Extra, I could get 2 decent shaves with a blade but every other blade in the box gave me a really bad shave experience. I finally settled with the Iridium Super, which gives a very smooth shave and lasts for 4 or 5 shaves.

The routine:

I usually bathe before shaving, let hot water sink in for a few minutes and then I rub olive oil all over the shaving area, letting it sit for 2 to 5 minutes.

After shaving I wash the olive oil as much as I can, but a bit always stays, which is good because I don't need to use any aftershave. The skin does not feel oily after about 30m.
If I nick myself or feel redness or sensitivity, I use a bit of jojoba oil over the area. After a few minutes it calms down and feels great.

Thumbs up to the DE shaving oil experience :thumbup1:

I think its a fine idea and one you should pursue.

indeed. I have a coarse beard/oily skin and while camping I used only shaving oil (williams/sommersets) and it worked just fine. I now have a 250 ml bottle from a different make and I refill the small williams/sommersets bottles with that.

Top Bottom