What's new

Should i go fancy or standard?

I am getting into DE razors after being turned onto them by a friend at work. Main thing i hate about cartridge razors is that they get clogged with hairs and i would love a fancy little grooming set on my bathroom counter to claim some man space! :blink:

I have settled pretty well on the 34C by Merkur. At the selling price of ~$35. BUT then i get to thinking, yes i am just getting into this, BUT this razor will theoretically be around for a long while, I'm not one to collect multiple objects that do the same job.

One of the main things that drew my eye originally to was the thought of a fancy little set sitting there to great me each morning. it was after i started reading the posts her when i realized it offered a better shave too.

Should i just get a standard 34C and start using it. Or should i get a fancy set and be done with it. can i add a nice handle to a 34C later in its life? What do you guys think of this guys work? I like these two that he makes along with the Rosewood. Also how long do the brushes last assuming you get a matching set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gold-Laced-...494161152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_3848wt_911

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Custom-Pyth...491340406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_3483wt_911

I have a Elite Razors shave set myself and could not be happier with it. The brush is as good as any of my others (some high end), it is has a very soft dense knot. I got a Murkur 37C slant as my razor and it proved to be a bit to aggressive for me (or at least for my skill level). I'm happy to have it in my bathroom like you said, but I would have been better served testing one out first.

For what its worth, Robert Quinn is amazing to work with. He delivers a level of customer service that I have never had duplicated. His first priority is to get you EXACTLY the shaving gear you want. I have never had an artisan be so willing to communicate and do whatever research/education was needed to assure me that I was making the best possible choice. There are many many excellent vendors and artisans in this community so its nothing to take lightly that Robert was able to differentiate himself from the rest of the great businesses out there.

For your first razor I'd suggest something adjustable. You can grow with one and adapt it to your current skill level, technique, or gear. If your comfortable with it I always suggest a vintage Gillette (Slim or Super Adjustable) as a great first razor. They are cheap on Ebay and the Buy/Sell/Trade section ($20 for many in excellent condition). Just make sure you disinfect it with Barbaside and clean it up with some Scrubbing Bubbles. If you wanted a new razor the Murkur Progress is a good choice. It does not have the nice knurled grip and the head is a bit thicker (and therefor less maneuverable around tight spots like under you nose) but its still a great little razor.

Last edited:
welcome to the badger...why dont you just try the razor in its plain form to see if you like it. then after your used to shaving you can upgrade to fancy handles and stuff. if you dont like it you can sell it without loosing much. the brushes are best in silvertip, they last forever/almost. but you want to get a reputable name, like edwin jagger,rooney ect. theres a section here thats devoted to that. i would just buy the least expensive razors and try them, after you know whats best for you then upgrade. that way it wont be expensive. good luck amigo

Alex is right on the money . . . great advice!!

Whatever you choose, work with one razor until you perfect your technique and experience different blade combinations . . . by then you will have been bitten by the RAD bug and soon will have several razors . . . both simple and fancy to pick from each day!!

Welcome aboard!!

After you get over the learning curve you can go for something fancy. Just keep in mind that the fancier handles are nothing but eye candy. They really will not improve your shave.

For the $150 I saw one of those sets going for you could get two or three really nice razors and start a rotation.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Alex is right on the money . . . great advice!!

Whatever you choose, work with one razor until you perfect your technique and experience different blade combinations . . . by then you will have been bitten by the RAD bug and soon will have several razors . . . both simple and fancy to pick from each day!!

Welcome aboard!!

+1. I bought my first DE razor (a Parker 65R) because I liked how it looked. I hadn't yet discovered B&B and wouldn't have thought of getting a vintage razor. The Parker now serves mostly as a bathroom decoration while less attractive but more functional older Gillettes serve as my daily shavers.

I just looked over Bob's work. Great stuff. Maby i will hold out and look at him instead, Though i was leaning toward that python one.

The gilette adjustable does look good too. and the price point is there as well. I'll have to look at the BST forum but it seemes to move so fast in there gota know what i'm looking for.

Stupid question, But all DE razors take the same type of blades? I was going to get a sample pack to try em out.

I just looked over Bob's work. Great stuff. Maby i will hold out and look at him instead, Though i was leaning toward that python one.

The gilette adjustable does look good too. and the price point is there as well. I'll have to look at the BST forum but it seemes to move so fast in there gota know what i'm looking for.

Stupid question, But all DE razors take the same type of blades? I was going to get a sample pack to try em out.

Yes, they all take the same type of blades.

A mainstream razor such as the HD or EJ DE89L will serve you well and as you get into things can always be either regulated to a travel razor or turned over on BST quickly.

I have both a Merkur and an E. Jagger and if I had to choose only one would likely choose the EJ. It has a better finish quality than the Merkur IMHO and delivers a great shave, even if slightly less agressive than my Merkur Barber Pole.

I'm not one to collect multiple objects that do the same job.
That line gave me a bit of a chuckle.

The sets you linked are from Elite Razors. His vendor thread is here: Elite Razor.

His web site is www.eliterazor.com

As Loric noted, Bob is a great guy to deal with. Both he and the other Bob (cooncat) make excellent products. As great as the handles look, unless the head is the right one for you it will just become counter eye-candy. I recommend starting with a plain razor then splurging on the beautiful set.

Welcome to B&B.

For what it's worth, I just started DE shaving as well. I am using a Gillette Super Speed I purchased from another member here on the forum. The razor is in really great condition and almost looks new. I only paid $20 for it.

I also just purchased another Super Speed on ebay for $9.99 that I gave to my Dad. That one was a little rougher than the one I bought here, but it cleaned up very well.

I haven't made hamburger out of my face yet, so I take that as a good sign.

Welcome to B&B.

after reading another post i tried bottom bic sensitive disposables and had a blood bath. has me a bit worried about the project. my Gillette mach three disposables i can drag up and down my face all day dry with less irritation than i got from one pass of the lowely bic

, I'm not one to collect multiple objects that do the same job.

Hahaha.............

Famous last words. Beware the RAD, my friend!

More seriously, the earlier suggestion of an old Gillette adjustable is a very good one.

Top Bottom