What's new

Travel Brushes

Alright - So I am hoping the only reason why my post about CM travel brush got no love was that no one ever used one.

With that in mind, There are Muhle and PILs travel brushes that look quite nice.

BUT the price of travel brushes is anywhere from 70-160 dollars. Does anyone actually use a travel brush and is it worth it spending the money?

I really am falling in love with the PILS SS travel brush with Silver tip - the price is a reall yowzer though.

thoughs on travel brushes - quality, usage, performance?

Hoping I get a few response on this
TIA
andy

Alright - So I am hoping the only reason why my post about CM travel brush got no love was that no one ever used one.

With that in mind, There are Muhle and PILs travel brushes that look quite nice.

BUT the price of travel brushes is anywhere from 70-160 dollars. Does anyone actually use a travel brush and is it worth it spending the money?

I really am falling in love with the PILS SS travel brush with Silver tip - the price is a reall yowzer though.

thoughs on travel brushes - quality, usage, performance?

Hoping I get a few response on this
TIA
andy

The PILs looks like a great bush, but that is a lot of money (unless you travel a lot).

I have a AOS travel brush (best badger, made in England) that comes in the black tube. It's no where near as nice as my full size brushes, but it gets the job done.

I don't see the point of a different design for a travel brush. To my mind, there are only three requirements: it fits in my bag, it lathers well, and I don't mind if I lose it.

So I travel with an Omega 10066.

Earlier this year I bought a Trumper's Travel Brush in Silvertip and it is a great little brush which came in a tube. It is pretty soft which suits because I take a shave stick when I travel and then face lather. My new Simpson's Case also fits in the same tube so I now have two candidate brushes when I travel.
I use them both as part of my regular rotation, but it wouldn't break my heart if they were lost/damaged during a trip.

The thought of a possible brush getting lost during travel has crossed my mind - so I hear ya on the watching the cost part. The I think - well - my kit would be on my carry on (less razors) so how could it get lost?

The other part is - is a silvertip head really needed. The muhle seems to have a nice head and so do the omegas and a few others - Silvertip maybe should be saved for an extravagant home/den brush

Skip the travel brush. I have never understood the need to get a brush for only travels. If you want more brushes, get more brushes, but getting one to be only used for a specific time just seems silly to me.

Brushes are allowed on carry on, so the whole loosing it thing is not an issue. The only thing I would ever consider getting a travel version of would be a straight razor, but only because they must be put in check-in.

EDIT: A silvertip certainly is not needed. Anything that costs more than the $5 VDH boar is a luxury.

I've made travel brushes using GN's 16mm knots.
proxy.php

travel brushes are an odd proposition.

in a travel brush, you want something that is small, but easy to use. it must perform well, dry quickly and be inexpensive enough that if it's lost or stolen, you're not out a big chunk of money.

unfortunately, many travel brushes i see fail to live up to these criteria....

either they're too close to the size of a normal brush which limits their portability or they use a less dense, low-grade knot of scritchy pure badger which lessens both the feel and the performance.

on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the super high quality brushes with a silvertip knot in the heavy, resin or plated turnback handle that costs as much or more than quality home brushes. how badly would it suck to have united airlines lose the bag with your $145 simpsons major in it?

the question is...what options lie in the middle?

one of the best i've found is oddly no longer available. it's an edwin jagger travel brush in synthetic. it's small yet well-built in a sturdy vented tube. its synthetic knot dries in minutes and not only is it soft, but it lathers like a fiend. at around $35 it was also reasonably priced. i have no idea why they stopped making them.

i've also heard good things about the simpsons case and wee scott. i would imagine that a small omega or men-u synthetic would be a solid choice for the reasons listed above. i know some people advocate boar since performance is good and they're cheap...but i'd never travel with one because i'd be concerned that the noticeably slow drying time would increase chances for mildew

Last edited:
About 7 or 8 years ago, long before I found B&B, I bought a Kent turnback travel brush in pure badger. If I recall correctly, I think it ran me about $70 at the time. It's a well-made and fairly soft brush, and I enjoy using it quite a lot. However, if I had it to do over again knowing what I do now, I think I'd just get an inexpensive regular brush and a pill bottle with some holes drilled in it and call it done.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Kent and it's a pleasure to use it whenever I travel, but it was a good chunk of change and although I use it quite regularly it's sometimes a pain to have to worry about drying out the knot before packing (which is sometimes impossible for me). The good news is that at least I don't have to worry about the airlines losing my bag (I'm my own airline).

Being a charter member of Team Cheapskate, the idea of cheap, small boar or synthetic brush and a plastic pill bottle just appeals to me aesthetically. A small, inexpensive synthetic brush in a drilled-out plastic pill bottle seems to be THE perfect solution to the travel brush problem: no worries about putting it away wet and getting a nasty surprise the next time you open up your suitcase, and if it's misplaced it's not a major financial setback.

Bottom line: while I don't think I would ever sell my Kent turnback, if and when it gives up the ghost I don't think I'll be buying another turnback travel brush. Hope this helps.

I have a C&E travel brush and love it. It's inexpensive and compact - just what the doctor ordered for travel.

It's a bit floppy and scritchy, but I don't like the idea of travelling with my full-size Rooney and I enjoy the change of pace.

Last edited:
I bought my Simpson Wee Scot specifically as a travel brush. It performs admirably in this role and it has found a spot in my daily rotation. It is an exceptional brush.

I have a Simpsons Case and love it. It is just the right size for travel but it also has a place in my regular rotation. I do not hold it just for the purpose of travel because it is too useful as a regular brush. It is a little lather machine!

After spending the last several years on the road I wonder why people sacerfice comfort to travel. I take my primary brush in a tube. It came in a cardbord tube with plastic ends and that's how I travel with it. It also fits nicely into a Christal Light tube so that's another option. Before getting that brush i only owned a C&E BBB and no tube so I was just carefull to put it into my dop kit where it woldn't get kinked or caught in the zipper. Brushes won't last forever and if my bag get's lost/stolden I'm out more than a brush. I've lost suits, shoes, belts, ties.... I don't have spicific travel clothes why a travel brush?

Smooth Shaves,
Matt

My favorite brush to take for travel is a Simpson's Colonel in best. It is a favorite brush in my daily shaving routine as well. I just got a tube from Em's place and take whatever I like. I don't worry much about anything else. If it's not as dry as I would like I just make sure to unpack it promptly, and Ive never had a problem with funk or any other damage.

I HAD an EJ turnback travel brush... But when I discovered that I prefer smaller brushes, I ended up with an 18mm custom brush by Rudy Vey that I love. Its dimensions are almost identical to a Simpsons Case, so I bought the case for that and travel with it. It is only marginally larger than the turnback and I found the turnback to perform poorly, at best. The short of it is that I use my regular (now only) brush at home and for travel. If you don't already use a small brush, I would recommend picking up a Case.

When I travel, I try not to take anything with me that can't be replaced. If it can be replaced, then how easily? So my current travel set up is a $15 Derby DE from West Coast Shaving (or apparently free with Derby blades some places), an $8 VDH Boar, and some Williams in a left-over Cover Girl powder container from my wife. :D

Not really what you're looking for, but I wouldn't drop $60+ on something that's easily lost, unless I wanted to use it at home as well.

Top Bottom