What's new

Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 @ Wal-Mart

Picked one of these up last night after work and gave it a go. It's a really nice shaver and pretty economical. Gave me an irritation free BBS shave in two passes. WTG and ATG.

Still havent found anything that comes close to feathers, but for the price these are pretty good blades....

I've used one of these for headshaving a few times and decided to throw caution to the wind and try it for the face today. Lathered up with vintage Old Spice and put a new cartridge on it and proceeded to get as good a shave as what I can get with and SE or injector. Absolutely flawless with no tugging or irritation afterwards. A big thumbsup:thumbup1:

If anyone needs an inexpensive cartridge that can be found easily at Walmart for travel or those quick shaves when time is short this one might just be the answer.

I bought one yesterday along with four carts for ten bucks. It gave me a smooth comfortable shave. Only got slight irritation because I tried to force a bbs shave with an extra atg pass. I like the fact that the cartridge is open on the backside so that you can rinse out the blades easier.

Clayton

The local Walmarts made the change when they added the Wilks DE blades. The price is good and give a good shave. That also includes a head shave but have to do a double tap under warm water to keep from clogging.

Last edited:
I believe this razor to be a re-branded Schick Extreme 3. They are trying to remarket the same cartridge system under the W/S name (same company).

Long before there were Extreme 3 disposables, there was the system with the flexible cartridges.

I believe this razor to be a re-branded Schick Extreme 3. They are trying to remarket the same cartridge system under the W/S name (same company).

Long before there were Extreme 3 disposables, there was the system with the flexible cartridges.

Marketing as "new" a product that has already made you millions (thus covering your research, and design cost), and selling that product as "new" probably a good 10 years after the original product came out....that's ingenious!!

Since their R and D costs, are covered, and they don't appear to be spending much to market this product, their profit margins on the product should be quite high. :tongue_sm

+1 on the Extreme 3 identification.

Both shave well. Sometimes you can get the Extreme 3 cheaper with a coupon (even at Walmart).

I like them both, use them when I travel.

Bought one of these last night and I was really impressed. I expected it to feel cheap and flimsy like the Gillette vector handle I have. It's been so long since I've used carts that I forget what a quality handle is like. This is a nice heavy handle.

I gave it a go last night and it was a great shave. 2 passes with some euro palmolive and it was smooth as silk. If I had to go back, this would be my #1 choice. It's also very cheap for the carts, as far as carts go anyways. I'm traveling for a week next month, thinking about leaving the Feather portable at home and taking this with a tube of cremo cream.

Stopped by WalMart today and noticed that they now have a disposable version of the Tech 3. 8 razors for $5.98. Each disposable razor has the exact same head as the Tech 3 so I would gather you could pop the blade cartridge off and use them on the Tech 3. Makes for a bargain at .75 a replacement versus buying the actual replacement blades at 4 for $5.00 ($1.25 each).

I snagged a five-buck Wilky Tech 3 today at Wallyworld. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, Wilkinson is now owned by Energizer, which also owns Schick.
Since the razor (w/ 2 carts) and the 4-pack of carts are only half the cost of the Schick Hydro razor and cart packs, I'm guessing Tech 3 is aimed at cheapos like me who like the idea of paying only 5 bucks for 4 carts.
I briefly entered the DE universe, but discovered I'm happier on planet cartridge -- same bbs shave (without the nicks) in less than half the time.
I might return to DE someday, but at the moment I'm a contented cart guy.
I have been using the Hydro 5 for more than 6 months and I've got to say it's the closest and consistently most comfortable shave I've ever had.
Five stars all the way.
It will be interesting to see if the Tech 3 can measure up to the Hydro 5.
Lately, I've been using Noxema foam and prefer it to Edge, Gillette and Schick gels.

Actually I wonder if they are using the unheard of Wilkinson Sword name so as to not cause an association in the customer's mind that Schick = Wilkinson Sword.
I could be wrong, but I have always assoaited the Shick brand with pink ladie's leg razors. Not correct, I know, but if Shick paid for a survey of similarly ignorant consumers like myself, they probably would discover a re-branding might be in order. So have a trade mark with crossed swords on it and men will look at it.
I bought it:blush:

I have been using the Hydro 5 for more than 6 months and I've got to say it's the closest and consistently most comfortable shave I've ever had. Five stars all the way.
We stayed at a hotel over Christmas (to be w/family), and there was a complimentary Hydro 5 in the room. What the heck, I decided to try it. Lathered up with a Palmolive shave stick and a Tweezerman brush. I must say, it gave a very good shave with little irritation - I was surprised.

However, there were a couple of things ... maybe I'm just not familiar with these carts. 1) I know these are supposed to be lubricating carts, but they seemed to leave behind a white, lather-like trail; I couldn't shave the lather cleanly off, and that bothered me; and 2) Every now and then, I caught a glimpse of a long, thread- or web-like strand of ... something ... floating in the air around me. They seemed to leave the cart when I did up-strokes. What the heck was that stuff?

Are these not supposed to be used with traditional soap/cream?

2) Every now and then, I caught a glimpse of a long, thread- or web-like strand of ... something ... floating in the air around me. They seemed to leave the cart when I did up-strokes. What the heck was that stuff?

Are these not supposed to be used with traditional soap/cream?

Believe it or not that's actually a feature of the Hydro. The lube strip doing just what you described. Doesn't matter what soap/cream you use. Canned stuff will do the same thing. Aren't DEs great? :lol:

Now there is a ladies version sold there as well The Oasis with a blue handle that is shaped somewhat like a Gillette Venus.
Well the daughter likes it and so does my wallet. SWMBO doesn't care what she uses as long as it easy to use

Last edited:
Top Bottom