What's new

Wooden handle for brush

I am in the process of designing a custom brush and I really like the different patterns of wood handles.

However, I worry a bit about the whole wood vs being in the water thing.

Do others have or see any problem with wooden handled shave brushes getting all wet ?

thanks

I don't have a wooden handled brush, but if it's sealed really well, it shouldn't be a problem. Remember, sailing ships used to be nothing but wood for ages :001_smile

Yes but sailing ships were covered with pitch and tar and the wood in the superstructure required constant maint.

No matter how you look at it water does deteriorate wood and even with modern sealers there will be deterioration and the sealant will have to be reapplied unless you only use the brush on rare occasions or are really careful about exposure to water or soaking in hot water especially.

I have 3 wood brush handles and they dont seem to be damaged by water. They all seem to be very well sealed and I make sure to dry them off between uses. They are all only a couple moths old but I dont see it as being an issue. There are plenty of wood handle vintage brushes out there that seem to have weathered the ages too.

I bought an EJ Pure Badger in wood and the finish was cracked in under a week. I emailed them with some pics and they sent a replacement that seems to be holding up better. I think there is some discoloration around the ring around the knot though.

Yes but sailing ships were covered with pitch and tar and the wood in the superstructure required constant maint.

No matter how you look at it water does deteriorate wood and even with modern sealers there will be deterioration and the sealant will have to be reapplied unless you only use the brush on rare occasions or are really careful about exposure to water or soaking in hot water especially.

Wooden Boats face a much tougher environment then a shaving brush.
They're subject to constant contact with water.
How much exposure to water is a shaving brush actually subject too?
Most user wipe their brush off after they're through with it.
Modern Marine grade finishes are made to with stand water and sun.

Wooden shaving brushes have been around for a very long time. The finish is important but there are choices here and since you're talking about a custom brush it's relevant. There are very good marine varnishes, like Bob uses. They are the most attractive and wear very well. There are also penetrating oil finishes, boiled linseed oil or pure tung oil, that also provide protection, but are more prone to wear and on there own can be less attractive. All finishes wear with time, use and the occasional hard knock. The marine finishes are the most difficult to repair, especially with the knot in the brush. They require sanding before and buffing after and will seriously gum up the bristles if not applied with care, but you should expect years of use before this becomes an issue. The oil finishes will require more frequent maintenance but are very easy to repair and blend with the existing finish with a simple wipe on application without the other hassles. The oil finish will also increase in beauty with periodic maintenance and is burnished by the hand with use. Either will provide you with a lifetime of service if cared for.

Wooden shaving brushes have been around for a very long time. The finish is important but there are choices here and since you're talking about a custom brush it's relevant. There are very good marine varnishes, like Bob uses. They are the most attractive and wear very well. There are also penetrating oil finishes, boiled linseed oil or pure tung oil, that also provide protection, but are more prone to wear and on there own can be less attractive. All finishes wear with time, use and the occasional hard knock. The marine finishes are the most difficult to repair, especially with the knot in the brush. They require sanding before and buffing after and will seriously gum up the bristles if not applied with care, but you should expect years of use before this becomes an issue. The oil finishes will require more frequent maintenance but are very easy to repair and blend with the existing finish with a simple wipe on application without the other hassles. The oil finish will also increase in beauty with periodic maintenance and is burnished by the hand with use. Either will provide you with a lifetime of service if cared for.

Well said jwhite

Now those are advices from a man who knows Wood

Take his words seriously

Vijay.

Listen to Bob.
I have one of his brushes made to my specs and it has a wood handle.
I wouldn't trade it for any Rooney or Kent!

John

BOB, Love the new LOGO.

Which marine finishes would you recommend? I am goign to make a handle out of cherry wood and i want to seal it well.

Which marine finishes would you recommend? I am goign to make a handle out of cherry wood and i want to seal it well.

Mr cooncatbob regrets he is unable to reply today.

This might be the worst-case scenario for hijacking an old thread with a new question. You see, the much-lamented gent shed this vale of tears about two years ago: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/294605-Robert-Smith-CooncatBob-of-Bob-s-Razor-Works. He is still widely missed around here.

Getting back to your question, try posting a new thread to http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/54-Brush-Making-and-Restorations.

Mr cooncatbob regrets he is unable to reply today.

This might be the worst-case scenario for hijacking an old thread with a new question. You see, the much-lamented gent shed this vale of tears about two years ago: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/294605-Robert-Smith-CooncatBob-of-Bob-s-Razor-Works. He is still widely missed around here.

Getting back to your question, try posting a new thread to http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/54-Brush-Making-and-Restorations.

I am so sorry, i didn't know about this. Oh man, i feel terrible now. I had done a search for wood handles on B&B through google and this was one of the threads that came up.

Once again, i apologize.

Wow I didn't realize that this was an old thread when I opened it up, so I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw Bob's post. I'm sure everyone here will agree with me when I say: I sure wish he was still here to answer!

Top Bottom