What's new

Lapping Film

Just curious who's using this method?

I just placed an order for some after I got a few sample sheets from the maintenance guys in our office building who had some and I honed an old Freddy I've had laying around. I used 6um (diamond), 3um then a 1um and skipped the .03 that they gave me because it seemed like it would be way too much.

Results with this morning shave was good, very sharp. It was a little uncomfortable and noticed while I was out this morning that the sweat was stinging a lot more than usual. Made me curious and I placed an order at Thorolabs for a pack of 5um, 3um, and 1um and will try a few more on a handful that have been needing honing.

I always finish with a hanging Chromox strop after the 1um to smooth things out.

That's interesting, I'll try it.

I just recieved a few samples of 5/3/1 films from a fellow member here.
Next honing sessions I'll try them out.

I've also heard some rumours about a sheet of paper invloved in the finishing stages, but that might be classified information :tongue_sm

That's interesting, I'll try it.

I just recieved a few samples of 5/3/1 films from a fellow member here.
Next honing sessions I'll try them out.

I've also heard some rumours about a sheet of paper invloved in the finishing stages, but that might be classified information :tongue_sm

That's the beauty of the lapping films!

After finishing off with the 1um on glass/granite/whatever, wet out a piece of paper on the substrate, and lay the film down on top of that. You will get a much more refined edge.

Give it a shot.:thumbup1:

After finishing off with the 1um on glass/granite/whatever, wet out a piece of paper on the substrate, and lay the film down on top of that. You will get a much more refined edge.

Thats a good tip! Il make sure to try that as well! So you finish with 1um, you wet a paper, then go 1um again? maybe im reading wrong.:huh:

I sure will!

I have a nice slab of marble used for lapping.
That will work perfectly with the films.

I know using film can get expensive but I have heard a lot about it. It definitely is something that should be stickied as a tutorial or wikied.

I completely forgot to follow up on this Disburen.

I picked up some sheets right after I posted this and tried it out. There is plenty of room for improvement but I did like the edge off of it but I really didn't care for the process of paper and no feedback.

Thanks to "domino" ( :thumbup: ) I have a couple of sheets of 9/6/3.

And I must say that the 3um really makes a differences when used after 10K Naniwa. Noticably sharper.

IMO, for someone new, lapping film is a good option.
Cheap & the lower grit films really works good in a progression.
A bit slower IMO then Naniwas, but not to slow to use.

The big drawback is the lack of feedback.
And the fact that the edge of the 3um is really harsh.

But I found a way to take care of that.
about 40 or 50 very light laps on coticule with water only after the 3um, really smooths things up & all of a sudden you have a very sharp, very smooth edge, with not much work at all :thumbup1:

A few bucks to get a marble tile cut up makes the PSA film almost feel like a stone. I used film for quite a while with no complaints but I'm getting better edges off the Naniwas. I'll need to try finishing on film though.

Top Bottom