What's new

AoS stinks

I finally got my hands on a second-hand puck of the fabled AoS soap, sandalwood no less. I don't like it--it just smells bad. The lather didn't 'explode' for me, but it was dense and slick like MWF. Very nice shave. But if I can't relish in the scent and if it doesn't make me surreptitiously sniff my brush when I walk into the bathroom later, there's something missing for me.

I can see why everybody is crazy about MWF. It's old-school, has an inoffensive smell, nice on the skin. But AoS? For that kind of cash, too? This is the ONLY soap I've used that I don't like!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm not a sandalwood fan either, but I have used the AOS lemon shave soap and loved every single shave.

I would agree that if the scent doesn't fly for you...dont use it. But my AoS Lemon is the bomb and one of my best latherers!

I totally agree. I have tried Sandalwood and Lavender. I found Lavender to be no less funky. I even milled it and added about a gallon of EO to it and STILL couldn't overpower the wierd scent. Great performer, but not for me.

The AOS sandalwood scent has grown on me with use. I think the performance of the soap makes up for a lot.

I finally got my hands on a second-hand puck of the fabled AoS soap, sandalwood no less. I don't like it--it just smells bad. The lather didn't 'explode' for me, but it was dense and slick like MWF. Very nice shave. But if I can't relish in the scent and if it doesn't make me surreptitiously sniff my brush when I walk into the bathroom later, there's something missing for me.

I can see why everybody is crazy about MWF. It's old-school, has an inoffensive smell, nice on the skin. But AoS? For that kind of cash, too? This is the ONLY soap I've used that I don't like!

Am I missing something, Vlad? Did you already buy more soap?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163091

:laugh: No, I got the AoS puck before that, and it was a trade anyway. Trades don't count. :tongue_sm

To avoid having to explain yourself every time you post anything, you should just update your sig to read "This puck, pack or parfum is a pre-Prohibition purchase", or something along those lines.

I'm with you...I couldn't deal with the AoS Sandalwood scent...it smelled like clay..

I would like to try either the lemon or unscented, but concerned about the clay scent

I only know sandalwood to smell like AoS. It's a shame I claimed it my favorite scent because every sandalwood after that was a disappointment. I swear by AoS sandalwood.

Perhaps the pucks aren't as much of an olfactory sensation as the creams? I was planning on treating myself to a set or puck this November for my birthday. And their balm is just awesome IMO.

If you want to get that puck off your hands in a trade, shoot me a PM. I love the stuff.

I smelled it at the AOS store - I agree it didn't smell good. I ended up with the AOS Lemon Cream - it smells good, but I don't think it's that great for lathering.

I'm with you...I couldn't deal with the AoS Sandalwood scent...it smelled like clay..

I would like to try either the lemon or unscented, but concerned about the clay scent

Lemon smells pretty much the same as the sandalwood to me - just toned down and much more tolerable. Yet still the same stinky base.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It doesn't smell like sandalwood, or anything trying to be sandalwood. It smells like rendered beef fat, I guess.

Interesting, mine is the same. I traded it from BST and it surely does not smell like Sandalwood at all. Their cream surely does smell very good, but the soap, nah.
I also have the Lavender and it smells great. Maybe there was a bad batch of the sandalwood once. My other sandalwood products, soaps or creams do smell like the real thing.

Top Bottom