What's new

Hypoallergenic Soap Recommendations

Folks,

I'm new to B&B and was wanting some advice. I have fairly sensitive skin and need a recommendation regarding hypoallergenic shaving soaps. So far I've tried a Poraso soap and it seemed to make my face break out in a rash. I've been using van Der Hagen Select soap for the last couple of weeks and it seems to be working Ok, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions that might work. I'd like to have more than one option to use going forward. Thanks!

I have sensitive skin as well but haven't really found a soap that is hypoallergenic. I don't have a problem with VDH or some of the creams I have used, Derby and Old Spice come to mind. I also had trouble with Proraso. I shave before I shower so the soap isn't in contact with my face that long, I think I would encounter more problems if I did it the other way around.

My skin is very allergic and I've found Palmolive soap to be the best. I would also suggest Arko and both can be tested without spending much $.

I also love Tabac, Cade and Irisch Moos, but every once in a while, people talk about having a reaction to those. YMMV

Which Proraso soap did you try? Proraso makes a green tea and aloe based soap in a white tub which is specifically for people with sensitive skin.
Don't recall exactly since I've discarded it, but I know it came in a dark green plastic bowl.

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback and great suggestions. I'll check out everyone's recommendations.

I was in the cosmetics section of The Bay (Hudsons Bay Company, not Ebay) looking at the mens line a while ago and I asked the girl if I could smell the "Clinique". She informed me it is a hypoallergenic line with no fragrances, made specifically for senseitive skin types. It's a high end French line in the same class as Biotherm and Vichy so it's pricey but you may want to try it.

Last edited:
honestly having fairly sensitive skin myself you would probably want soaps with the least amount of ingredients (the less ingredients the less you have to guess which ingredient made you break out also less ingredients to break you out)

cella is a good one since it is a very simple soft soap the fragrance might make you break out though but it is the last ingredient in the list so there probably isn't too much fragrance compared to the entire soap. Ogallala bay rum is also good if you find you aren't sensitive to fragrances or EOs. If you do find you are mama bear unscented is great also. Williams is also good but can be hard to lather and can also be a bit drying depending on your skin type.

On a side note be careful of vitamin E/tocopherol it can cause you to have allergic reactions too. A lot of people believe vitamin e on the skin is good for it but there is no scientific basis for this the only non cosmetic funded study I found for vitamin e found it did not heal skin and one of the patients got contact dermatitis.

/rant What I think is that since vitamin e is a good preservative and the cosmetic industry learning its lesson from Parabens decided to market vitamin e as something good for your skin so when you see it on the ingredient list you think "this must be good for me"/end rant

I am no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt

Last edited:
My skin is very sensitive to quite a few soaps. The old standby for me is VDH Deluxe, but another very nice soap with similar properties is Honeybee Soap. The only catch there is that some of her fragrances seem to behave differently. My favorite one is Mountain Meadow, but everyone should give Juicy Strawberry a try! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom