What's new

Dilemma

Morning Gent's,
So here is my dilemma..................

I have been using a Murker (gold 33-C) Classic razor and experimenting with a few of the blades out of my sample pack and so far I have been getting great shaves. The blades I have use so far have been Murker and Wilkinson. The soap I have been using lately has been Mama Bear's (Old Spice) and my newly restored Silvertip Badger Grade A from TGN.

Since joining this Forum I have also purchased a few other razors as well. Yesterday I loaded a Feather blade into my Vintage (circa 1940's) Gillette Tech which is in just about mint condition. My face got cut up like I was attacked with a hedge trimmer! The shave I got was smooth and "tug-free", but not as close as I was getting with the Murker. After I stopped all the bleeding with a styptic pencil, I was trying to figure exactly what had happened. :blink:

I am wondering if the Feather blade was just not for me, or if the Gillette Tech was just to mild and I was pressing against my face with too much force. Maybe the combination of the Tech & Feather is just not a good one. Any thoughts?? What I will try next is I will put a Feather in my Murker which I know has been a good razor, and I will also put a Murkur blade into the Tech razor to test that razor out with a blade that I know is descent.

Any other suggestions or ideas? I know I have seen comments here on B&B that some don't like the Feather blades and other people swear by them, and the same goes for the Gillette Tech's.

Regards,
D/E Bob

Last edited:
Alot of people live by the Feather blade. Me personally.....I dont like them. I prefer the Gillette 7 O'Clock, Bluebirds, Gillette Platinums(Vintage NOS) and some others. I would experiment with more blades. I tried the Merkurs first and I used the exact same razor (33c) and i also got excellent shaves. I then finally tried a Feather like you did in a tech, I used a Fat Handle tech same difference, and got the same horrible shave. I just dont like them. Ill probably give them another shot but Feathers are not for everyone.

Dont know if this answered anything but hopefully it is helpful.

I don't know how long you have been DE shaving but the Feather blade is extremely sharp and should not be used by a new comer until his technique has been perfected. The Tech and Feather are an excellent combo. However like any other razor you should not be using any pressure at all. I don't know about Wilkinson blades but Murkers are not very good. You can't use a Feather the same way use a Murker. My advise is to use a medium sharp blade like a Red pack Personna and fine tune your technique. In any case good luck and keep at it.

Len

Ditto Len's post. NO PRESSURE! It took me a couple of months to get this part of my technique. I am now using Feathers in whatever razor I'm using at the time and haven't had a weeper for some time - I hope saying that doesn't anger the shave gods! My current razor is a Gillette President. Good luck on your shaves and welcome!

I'll echo the praise for the tech-feather combo -- it's like the two were made for each other. The shaves with this pairing, for me, are effortless and incredibly close.

It sounds like you may have changed a couple things at the same time.

How much experience have you had with the tech, before this? The angle is a little different from the merkur, and if you haven't been using the tech much (off and on, I mean), or have not been using it consistently, you may need to acquaint yourself with it for a longer period of time. Your observation that the shave was not as close leads me to believe that you don't have the angle quite right.

I suggest spending at least a full week with the tech (2 weeks, even better), and using a smoother, more forgiving blade for that time like a RedPack IP or maybe an Iridium or an Astra. Then, put the feather in it and pay attention to the pressure as others have said. You'll be surprised at how light a touch can bring so smooth a result.

Hope it helps.
-- Chet

Thanks for the responses and advise! I have been using the Merkur for about a month and I have never cut myself, not even once. I tried the Tech /Feather combo yesterday which was the first run for the Tech. I think you guys are on to a few concepts here. First off, it was the first time I used the Tech and I do agree the hold angle is a little different than the Merkur. Next is the fact that it was the first time I have tried a Feather blade. Because the Tech is a little lighten than the Merkur, I might have increased pressure to compensate, and the Feather blade was the wrong blade to try a first shave with a new razor.

I think what I should do (as suggested above) is try the Tech again, but with a Persona IP, Astra or 7 O'Clock to get used to the different angle and weight. The next thing I would like to do is try the Feather blade in the Merkur which I have some experience with. Well, I will let you know how I make out.

Regards,
D/E Bob

OK Gent's,
So after the bad experience I had last week with my Tech Razor and a Feather blade, this morning I lathered up with some Mama Bears OS and I put a Redpack IP in the Tech. GREAT CLOSE SHAVE! I guess either I was not experienced enough with this new ( to me ) razor, or the Feather blade is just not for me. I will however try another Feather both in the Tech and in the Merkurl in a month or so after getting used to them a bit more.

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom