What's new

Chanel Bleu

Anyone get a chance to smell this yet?

I'm a cologne newbie, but I have really loved my new adventure into colognes. I have a bunch of samples, and now have a library of about 7-8 colognes. Most have been from ebay or the BST, and I haven't paid full retail for anything yet.

Anyway, I got a wiff, and smelled it. Smells fine, but it smells like many other "clean" or "blue" scents. I went to Basenotes and was so happy to find out that my thoughts were exactly the same as others. Maybe I'm not a newbie anymore. :)

Last edited:
I tried it last week. They should have renamed it "Meh de Chanel." I can't believe this is the same house that produced such great men's scents like Antaeus, Egoiste, Pour Monseuir, etc...

When I first sniffed this 2 weeks ago, I was surprised and annoyed that Chanel would head in this direction. However, being one to never turn away a fragrance sample, I've worn this a few times since. I don't like the trend to more marine sporty fragrances, but I have to say this one smells nice on and the ingredients are definitely of Chanel quality. I doubt I'll buy a bottle, but my impression has definitely changed with time.

I have to admit, I'm always a little stymied by the negativity directed at Chanel's newer releases. Is the bar really that high with Chanel? I mean their trademark men's frag, Pour Monsieur, - I'm open minded when it comes to perfume, but this stuff had 1950s stodginess all over it. It was okay, but unwearable for me, and not what I'd consider a high bar-setter.

Then there's the much-maligned Allure Homme. I read comments on basenotes all the time about how it's just that "fresh, trashy" type of smell that's been imitated a million times. Meanwhile, in all the years since its release, I haven't smelled anything quite like it. Which isn't surprising, because there aren't really a whole lot of allspice-centered men's frags out there on the mainstream market. It smells smooth, it has friendly facets to it, and the women love it on me. (not saying it's the perfect eau de toilette, but for $50, I can't complain.)

Now Chanel Bleu - which I haven't tried yet - but I'm already seeing similar dissent and express disappointment in Chanel . . . . dunno guys. Maybe this new one isn't all that great, but how bad could it be?

I think people need to lighten up a little on Chanel.

I have to admit, I'm always a little stymied by the negativity directed at Chanel's newer releases. Is the bar really that high with Chanel? I mean their trademark men's frag, Pour Monsieur, - I'm open minded when it comes to perfume, but this stuff had 1950s stodginess all over it. It was okay, but unwearable for me, and not what I'd consider a high bar-setter.

Then there's the much-maligned Allure Homme. I read comments on basenotes all the time about how it's just that "fresh, trashy" type of smell that's been imitated a million times. Meanwhile, in all the years since its release, I haven't smelled anything quite like it. Which isn't surprising, because there aren't really a whole lot of allspice-centered men's frags out there on the mainstream market. It smells smooth, it has friendly facets to it, and the women love it on me. (not saying it's the perfect eau de toilette, but for $50, I can't complain.)

Now Chanel Bleu - which I haven't tried yet - but I'm already seeing similar dissent and express disappointment in Chanel . . . . dunno guys. Maybe this new one isn't all that great, but how bad could it be?

I think people need to lighten up a little on Chanel.

You need to smell it. Then you'll say.... "I've smelled this before... many times."

Just to go against the grain here...I smelled this for the first time last night and am wearing it today. I think I like it!

Surely you can't expect Chanel to completely ignore the scent trends of the last 20 years? I would say what sets Bleu apart from the herd of fresh, oceanic scents is simply that it is done so well. And it does also incorporate the Chanel "house" scent, IMO. I am a n00b, but I am digging it so far.

I think I may be "coming on a little strong" today, I used about 40% of a 1ml (?) store-made sample vial I was given. I am never sure how to use those things. But anyway, that should be enough for me to figure out how it smells and lasts on me. If I continue to like it as much as I do so far, it will certainly be a contender for getting a decant to see how it works with an atomizer. I would consider buying a bottle, as long as it doesn't get too popular with the "shiny shirt crowd!"

GS

Just to go against the grain here...I smelled this for the first time last night and am wearing it today. I think I like it!

Surely you can't expect Chanel to completely ignore the scent trends of the last 20 years? I would say what sets Bleu apart from the herd of fresh, oceanic scents is simply that it is done so well. And it does also incorporate the Chanel "house" scent, IMO. I am a n00b, but I am digging it so far.

I think I may be "coming on a little strong" today, I used about 40% of a 1ml (?) store-made sample vial I was given. I am never sure how to use those things. But anyway, that should be enough for me to figure out how it smells and lasts on me. If I continue to like it as much as I do so far, it will certainly be a contender for getting a decant to see how it works with an atomizer. I would consider buying a bottle, as long as it doesn't get too popular with the "shiny shirt crowd!"

GS

No problem being a n00b. And if you like it, great. I'm still a fan of Acqua di Gio. Chanel Blue isn't bad, it just smells like lots of other stuff I've smelled, and I really haven't smelled that many colognes.

I'm lucky that I live in a small town where the most exotic cologne is either Stetson or English Leather or Tim McGraw's scent.

I'm lucky that I live in a small town where the most exotic cologne is either Stetson or English Leather or Tim McGraw's scent.

by "lucky" I assume you mean the lure of fragrance won't be burrowing into your finances? (otherwise, given the current formulations of Stetson and EL, I wouldn't feel so lucky . . :001_rolle)

Top Bottom