What's new

Dontcha hate it when (a thread title doesn't tell you what the thread is about)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It would be nice if everybody would make the titles of their threads SAY what the thread is about. For instance, I could have titled this thread opener "Dontcha hate it when...", and you would have to open it to see if you even would have wanted to open it in the first place. The title ought to tell the members browsing the threads something about the content. If I am pressed for time, I skip right over those threads, because there is no indication in the title that I might be interested in reading it. "Teaser titles" don't get my attention or respect. They don't say anything. I think a concisely worded but informative title ought to be required on any online forum. The title makes the initial impression, which is often the ONLY impression.

For instance, "Newbie needs help" is vague. Maybe I know a lot about straight razors but not much about DE razors or shaving with them. What's in the post? is the OP asking a question I can answer intelligently, or not? Or is it a question to which I would like to see the replies, because I have wondered the same thing? Or is it a question that I have no expertise on, or interest in? But "Newbie needs help with honing an Ebay straight" might get my attention because I want to learn more about it myself, or because I have experience and relevant opinions on the subject.

Dissenting opinions? Anybody in agreement?

I agree. I do think that vague titles are warranted sometimes, though. For example, if the topic of the thread is too long to put in the title or if the said newbie needs help with multiple things.

i just hover my mouse over the title for a thread preview. i found out this thread was a rant before i even opened it. :lol:

i just hover my mouse over the title for a thread preview. i found out this thread was a rant before i even opened it. :lol:

Ding ding ding! BINGO!!!!

I do this as well and it does help keep me focused awayfrom the less interesting but I do agree that more concise Subject lines would be better. I read the forums via RSS feed on my iPhone which doesn't have the preview and I do end up wandering more than I would like.

:yesnod:

(Though I have become increasingly annoyed with used car salesmen tactics in b/s/t thread titles lately. If the seller feels compelled to shout that it's a "great deal," 99 times out of a hundred it ain't. :tongue_sm)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Whenever I see an excessively vague thread title, I'm inclined to move it to the clown house without even reading it. :lol:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Yeah, well the hover preview doesn't last long enough, sometimes. It would be nice if it persisted a couple more seconds.

As for my post, I thought the title conveyed the fact that it was a rant. Anyway, it was my intention that the title, since it is the title of the entire thread, be descriptive.

Top Bottom