What's new

How many times do you use your DE Blade before you change it?

I change the blades after 4-6 shaves, depending on the brand. The Feathers and Derbys for me last the longest....

Timely question.

I'm still on my first ever 17¢ Shark SC blade, and today was my 8th shave. Yesterday wasn't so bad, but this morning as I sit here a few hours after my shave and stroke my throat, it's not very fun. So 7 seems the max for me. I'll probably settle into a habit of changing once per week. But I might try twice a week for a couple weeks to see if it makes a big difference.

The longevity of the blade depends upon the brand and the quality of that individual unit. If the blade is sharp and dependable, I use it 5-7 times. Other times, when I am testing out brands I will replace the blade after 3 uses, but I always have that regret of putting a perfectly serviceable blade into the used slot.

Traditionally, I only use a blade for 3 days, partly to help me remember if a blade needs changing or not. The cost of blades are so low and I have so many, economizing doesn't make sense. However, getting 5 days of shaving out of a blade isn't unusual for me, despite my tough beard, although by day 5, I'm seeing significant cutting degradation.

Current production: 2 times. Sometimes a 3rd shave sneaks in while I'm not looking. I have so many blades that there's no reason to economize.

Vintage blades: gotta get a week out of 'em at least, 5-6 shaves.
-- Chet

I shoot for a week, and can get them with Feathers and some of the better quality blades. I do change if a blade starts to pull or feels like it's dulling. If I can't get more that 4 shaves from a blade, that is not the blade for me.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I toss all DE blades after 3 shaves. Testing has shown that while shave 4 is doable, it's almost always of a lesser quality than shaves 1-3. Considering their low cost, I just simply toss them after three uses. :tongue_sm

I was going to say 365, except in a leap year in which I take a day off. Anyway, I subscribe to the same theory, change the blade BEFORE it goes bad. For me that has traditionally been 2 shaves, but since letting my whiskers grow on my chin & lip, I sometimes do 3 if I am too lazy to dig another blade out of my dopp kit.

With Feathers and Iridiums, I get 4 to 5 shaves.

With Derbys, I get 3.

It may all just be in my head but with the price of blades v. cartridges why chance any discomfort.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Thanx to the members and input of the B & B Board :thumbup:

Well...it seems after reading all of your replies...the average is at least three (3) times a week (M-W-F), for a great 'baby-smooth' Wet-Shave :thumbup1:

Again, thanx for all of your input :clap:

Christopher :biggrin1:

PS The Mrs. still can't beleive that there is is 27,222 of us B & B Memebrs on this Board. She does'nt (or beleive for that matter...for she thinks that all of us have 'fell' off our rockers...and hail from 'Klingon'), know what all of us get out of taking the 'time' to Wet-Shave and start & tackel our work / business days, look and feel 'crisp, refreshed & professionial' & be 'ready to bite the "A _ _" off a Bear'.

Last edited:
Since moving primarily to str8s and just using DE blades for touch up or ATG in certain, hard to get spots...I can get a single IRP to go a week.

When I am just using a DE blade....3 shaves.

still trying to lock down my technique, therefore, i'm not willing to take the risk and stretch the number of shaves per blade. i usually change at 3 or 4. good post

I pretty much never shave Saturday. If I shave Sunday, I put a new blade in then. But a lot of time I don't and just start Monday. So I use it at least 5 days and sometimes 6. I only do a 2 pass shave.

Top Bottom