What's new

Handles: bass ackwards?

Forgive my neophite, if not entirely naive, observation, but, is it just me or do many if not most brush handles seem backwards - with the larger portion (that one would normally associate with the gripping part) at the top by the not?

H

Yeah I've noticed this before. It does seem that the fat part should be near the base and in the palm. I don't know. That is part of the reason I didn't like the B&B Butterscotch brush that they came out with earlier this year (last year?)

Forgive my neophite, if not entirely naive, observation, but, is it just me or do many if not most brush handles seem backwards - with the larger portion (that one would normally associate with the gripping part) at the top by the not?
H

Oh, I dunno. I think most grips are pretty ergonomic, especially the shorter handles which suit the ways I grip them.

I think the wider part near the knot prevents soapy fingers from slipping forward onto the hairs when you're applying pressure. The flat base can seat on your palm. There's different designs and folks hold them differently I guess, but I do like a bit of waist or rings somewhere plus bulging toward the hairs, plus some bulk in there.

- Bill

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As per the Pic below,
Some are indeed fatter at the bottom (smallest arrow)
Some are parallel all the way up (medium arrow)
And some are fatter at the top (largest arrow)

It's all a matter of choice and which fits and looks best to you.

I personally love those Persion Jar shaped brushes, but everyone has their own fav.

I agree. The most comfortable handles I've used (Omega 30005 and Vie-Long 16510) have been wide toward the bottom.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wow, what a great collection Phil and a tremendous illustration of the variety of shapes!
- Bill

Thanks, but those are not mine, when I got far enough away to photograph the whole shelf of my brushes, I was too far away to see any details. :lol:

As per the Pic below,
Some are indeed fatter at the bottom (smallest arrow)
Some are parallel all the way up (medium arrow)
And some are fatter at the top (largest arrow)

It's all a matter of choice and which fits and looks best to you.

I personally love those Persion Jar shaped brushes, but everyone has their own fav.

Phil, what is the brush on the top shelf, 6 from the left, white handle ?

I've thought the same thing. That's why I'm going to start making brushes with golf ball handles.

Good call - that'd be quitye a niche market! I'm sure there are quite a few Golfers who'd bite at any gimmick

H

H

Take an existing style, turn it round and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, voila!:biggrin1:
tinker.

Top Bottom