What's new

first timer...

hey all

I wish I would've known about this site before. I'm 24 and after a year of using gillette fusion with frustration I'm looking for some help.

I've read some stuff on the forum about double ege razors.

Can someone recommend a good one for newbs like me with sensitive skin?

Thanks all,

BigFatPanda

Welcome to B&B!

Opinions on newb razors are very subjective. I would suggest reading and researching around in the board and then you can make an educated decision for yourself.

Cheers.

Welcome to the B&B. A good razor for new and experiences shavers alike is an Edwin Jagger DE89L or any of its relatives. (e.g. DE86). However, as SUNA has said, razors appropriate for neophytes are subjective.

Tough one. All faces are different. What works great for one gent might be unsatisfactory for another. That said, the Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor, Lined, DE89L (funny, I was writing this at the same time the above poster was making the same reco..) is inexpensive, gets good reviews and has a longer handle so the transition from your Fusion won't be as extreme. YMMV. And I'm sure you'll get as many different recos as there are people on this board. Also, get a sampler of different blades when you get the razor. You guessed it...differnt blades work differently with particular razors and face types. Need to find the best combo for you. And trial and error is the only real way to do this. A sampler will provide an economical opportunity to sample different blades before you make a financial commitment to one particular one.
This is great advice.

I started with a Merkur 38c; fine razor, built like a tank and delivers a very close shave with the right technique.

Because I hang out here too much while sitting on concalls, I also picked up an EJ DE89L others have mentioned. This is also a great razor and is, in my opinion, of higher quality finish. It shaves great and is very comfortable to use.

I also just this week got the Weishi TTO for use when traveling. I selected this one as it is very polarizing within the community and has the reputation of being a mild shaver. Many think too mild. I have used it once and you would have to work very hard to nick yourself. I did get a decent shave with it but found that the angle required to get good effect was "finicky" and not as broad as my other razors.

At the end of the day, the Weishi may be a good call but I personally wouldn't recommend it for a total beginner because as mild as it is, you have to get the angle just right which may lead to both bad shaves and poor technique.

The Merkur is great and I still like it but the EJ has a better finish and attention to detail that makes it stand out. My vote: EJ DE89L.

Wow, I cant believe the amount of informative replies in such a short notice! Thanks a lot guys! Ill do research on this de89l...and look into the sampler of blades. Thanks again.

Wow, I cant believe the amount of informative replies in such a short notice! Thanks a lot guys! Ill do research on this de89l...and look into the sampler of blades. Thanks again.
This forum is the friendliest, most helpful group I have ever seen.

As an fyi, I picked up the Edwin Jagger DE89L from Charles at QED for $28. In your research you'll find references to the Muhle R89 - they both share the same head, just different handles.

I like the DE89L better as it has more heft than the Muhle alternative although I do like the look of the Muhle handle.

The chrome plating on the razor is very unique, Sheffield "blue" chrome plating (same process used by Rolls Royce) and is really impressive looking. It is a razor that I think is both beautiful to look at and more importantly performs really well.

Have fun with the shopping and be sure and check out the review section as well as pop over to the Newbie section for an intro!

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Welcome to B&B. I am a newbie as well. I purchased the EJ DE 89l a few weeks back and love it. Although I have nothing to compare it to, it is one you should consider. I just bought a puck of the EJ Sea Buckthorn...very nice.

The EJ DE89L is a great razor. It was my second one and I still use it often. The Merkurs are also fine razors. For a starter you could always pick up a vintage Gillette, possibly a super speed or tech. The vintage Gillettes can be had for usually around $10 (for shave quality) on the BST (Buy/Sell/Trade). Good luck and as mentioned by many, read the wiki, watch Mantic and continue to post any and all questions. For some reason the people around here like to help others, I know, weird.......

What's really great about this hobby is that the razors themselves are quite inexpensive (especially if you shop used on our own classified forum). This will allow you to try out as much stuff as you want without losing much, if any money, as you should be able to sell a '50s razor for what you bought it for.

I have found that a Merkur HD or Classic is a great beginner razor. It is of average aggressiveness and inexpensive new. Not exactly original advice, but it's what I went with and it worked for me. Of course, as always, YMMV.

hey all

I wish I would've known about this site before. I'm 24 and after a year of using gillette fusion with frustration I'm looking for some help.

I've read some stuff on the forum about double ege razors.

Can someone recommend a good one for newbs like me with sensitive skin?

Thanks all,

BigFatPanda

Welcome to B&B.

Consider yourself lucky in finding this site at such a young age. I found it at 48 :blink:

Generally the Merkur 34c HD is considered a mild razor. Very good for sensitive skins with the right blade.

Welcome to B&B!

Feel free to ask anything. There are no dumb questions.

However, if you want dumb answers, I am at your service. :laugh:

Welcome. And make sure you read the wikis on this site and the mantic59 videos on youtube.com.

Thanks for the video link! I just watched the intro to wet shaving and intro to single-blade shaving. Good stuff.

It seems that the "against the grain" rules dont apply as much to the single-blade shaving. In the single-blade shaving video he mentions how after a couple of downward passes you can do an upward pass...for my face that would be completely against the grain as far as the cheek area is concerned. I'm sure though I wont feel the ripping of hair out after this lather and pre-shave techniqe. Normally, I would spend under a minute on the pre-shave...that included splashing some warm water on my face then putting some gillette fusion gel on a brush and applying it to my in a side-to-side motion lol. After that its hacking time. I'll let you all know how my first wetshaving experience will differ.

Thanks again,

BFP

Hi BFP and welcome.

As others have said, this is the friendliest (and knowledgeable) forum I've ever been a part of on the 'net. A great crowd of gentlemen (and ladies) who are always willing to help.

The mantic videos provide a great introduction to wet shaving. For specific questions, always feel free to fire away here. You've already gotten great suggestions on a starter razor -- I went with a vintage Gillette Superspeed for my first (and second, third and fourth) -- and the Merkurs and EJs have a lot of fans if you want something new.

Check with some of the vendors who are a part of the community and pick up a blade sampler and get a decent brush (Frank is getting a lot of love for very modest prices, and if you have a big Target near you, you might find a Shea brush there for around $10). If you have a Bath and Body Works near you, they sell Proraso shave cream in a tube, carrying the Bigelow name. It whips up great, gives a great shave, too.

Good luck in this game. It's a whole lot of fun ...

Top Bottom