What's new

Pre shaves, Really?

I don't know if this goes under the heading of shave creams or soaps but the question is about Pre Shaves when you think about it, once you start putting on cream or soap on your face with your brush doesn't the Pre Shave really just mix with the soap or cream? How much is really left on the skin and if they are effective which soaps and creams benefit from them? Right now I'm using Poraso and I was using Castle and Forbes but I didn't see much of a difference between Poraso with pre shave and without pre shave what do you guys think?

In my opinion, I think pre-shave is not needed. If your prep is good enough, that makes pre-shave overkill. Use Kyle's prep and save yourself the money that it would cost to purchase a pre-shave.

Proraso Pre/Post cream works for me. I noticed that I get a bit smoother shave when I put it on before shaving. It does not have any effect on the soap and the foam.
I also put it on after shaving...and well, it's actually better after shaving - it has that fantastic cooling effect.

Absolutely ! I like to shave before shower and i have to massage with pré-shave oil before the shave cream mixed with shaving gel to smooth the shaving and it results

I have use preshave samples andfind that it does not really make a big difference to me. Others find it makes for a clicker shave, another one of those YMMV things.

I had a sample of AoS Pre-Shave Oil and thought I'd give it a go this morning. Although it was a slightly closer shave, I don't think I'll rush out and get any more.

T&H works for me. But as of late I apply it right before my ATG pass and have noticed a smoother shave.

The general idea is for the hair to soak up the pre-shave product and get fat like a wet noodle.

Then the lather keeps the blade off your face. No?

My thoughts. Some work, most don't. I think CF does a fine job of giving a closer shave, but does not prevent irritation. SMN does a good job of a closer shave and preventing irritation. My mug responds to SMN very well.

All the oils ... not so much as a pre. You can however use a coat of oil only for a last pass to pick up stragglers here or while blade buffing. Gives awesome results.

Just my exp.

I have tried three (3) different pre shave products: Proraso pre/post, Shave Secret oil, and Trumper's Skin Food. They helped a little bit. However, I have found that a good prep., coupled with 2 minutes of face lathering, and then letting the lather stay on my face for another minute or so before I start shaving is way more effective. As usual, YMMV.

Top Bottom