What's new

Getting started with a saftey razor

Hi all-

So I remain a wet shaving neophyte. I used to just use regular grocery store stuff but once while walking through a department store the Holy Spirit came to me in the form of a tall, lispy-voiced, salesman who convinced me to buy a starter set from the Art of Shaving--it had a book, a brush (without a stand), and oil/cream/balm--all Sandalwood.

Well, I have been using the same types of products ever since. I use a heavy chrome razor (picked up from Brookstone as an exchange for a gift I really didn't want) with Mach 3 Turbo blades. I am a happy man and I do enjoy my daily shave. Still, I like to mess around with good and hopefully not make matters worse.

I'm about to turn 40. I was thinking of moving to a safety razor as a b'day present for myself. I was eyeing this set by Merkur with a VISION razor and top of the line mountain badger brush (moving up from my entry level plastic one) as well as a bowl and holder. Is this too much of a leap of an investment? Should I start with less snazzy stuff and see how I like it first? Or do I just jump into the water in one Fell swoop?

MJB (Marc)

Hi Marc.

Glad you found us on our little oasis of wetshaving. To get a superlative shave, you don't necessarily need to spend lots of money. You can get a fantastic shave from a Merkur Progress or HD, and a really good brush from somewhere like QED for not that much money.

The Vision is a great razor, but it is pricey, and isn't necessarily the best choice for someone who hasn't used a DE. I started out with a Progress for $30 or so, and a decent badger brush and was hooked forever.

MJB said:
Hi all-

So I remain a wet shaving neophyte. I used to just use regular grocery store stuff but once while walking through a department store the Holy Spirit came to me in the form of a tall, lispy-voiced, salesman who convinced me to buy a starter set from the Art of Shaving--it had a book, a brush (without a stand), and oil/cream/balm--all Sandalwood.

Well, I have been using the same types of products ever since. I use a heavy chrome razor (picked up from Brookstone as an exchange for a gift I really didn't want) with Mach 3 Turbo blades. I am a happy man and I do enjoy my daily shave. Still, I like to mess around with good and hopefully not make matters worse.

I'm about to turn 40. I was thinking of moving to a safety razor as a b'day present for myself. I was eyeing this set by Merkur with a VISION razor and top of the line mountain badger brush (moving up from my entry level plastic one) as well as a bowl and holder. Is this too much of a leap of an investment? Should I start with less snazzy stuff and see how I like it first? Or do I just jump into the water in one Fell swoop?

MJB (Marc)
Hoo boy! Marc, you must like messages.. There will be at least one or more opinions on these questions for each member of the B&B. A DE razor has to meet the personal needs of the shaver. That's why there are so many different models. If you look at the old Gillettes, there is an extremely large number of different models. While some are only cosmetic differences, many having significant changes in there configuration (size, heft, adjustability). Same with the modern day Merkurs. Here's a picture giving you some idea of the size and shape of some of the Merkurs:

full
L to R:
Classic Longhandle
Slant Bar
Progress
Futur
Vision

One thing that may not be obvious from the photo is that the size and shape of the head is significantly different from model to model. Your facial topography could make a razor with a flatter, thinner head a necessity. While it is difficult to guage prior to the purchase, once you own a razor that does not fit your face well the misery and recriminations follow. I own and use each of those razors (and a few others) in the picture above. While I love the Vision (extreme right), I would seldom recommend it to a neophyte. If you have your heart set on an adjustable, I believe that the Futur (to the immediate left of the Vision) is a reasonably good compromise on cost, features, and ease of use. It has a flatter, slightly smaller head, smaller price, and is not as "nifty" from the stand-point that it has a "pull-off" cap for blade replacement versus the Visions sexy clamshell doors.
It's adjustability is superior to the Progress (to the immediate left of the Futur) in that it gives you an absolute setting that need not be reset everytime you changes blades. An added plus is it has a great long handle.
Oh well..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all-

MJB (Marc)
Only the degree of madness sets the limit and don't forget ... [thread=301948]the poll[/thread] ...

I've never used the Vision, I have 2 Merkurs. The 23c and modified Progress "Mergress", I had a Futur, but that thing was a little large for my taste. If you are serious about the Vision try to locate a vendor or a buddy that owns one so you can see and feel that behemoth for yourself. It all comes to personal preference. I love the way the Futur looks, but when I got it I thought "how do I shave my upper lip with that?" I knew it wasn't for me, not to mention it came defective. (uneven blade exposure)

I agree with the other comments. The Vision is a bit monstrous and probably not a good representative for the DE world. An advantage of using DE razors is that it gets plastic and cheap materials out of your hands, though this advantage is not really available with a vision. If you are happy with your shaves right now, perhaps a more conservative step towards DEs would suite you better. The more traditional Merkur razors have great designs and there are a number of other new manufacturers making good razors that are less cumbersome than the Vision. If you go the vintage route, you may even be able to pick up your birth year razor for your 40th birthday (see the wiki).

Though, if you are looking for an excuse to buy a more expensive brush and razor, we'll back you up!

Top Bottom