What's new

Platinum chrome vs. stainless steel blades

The Walmart Personna blades and Wegmans brand blades appear to be similar except that one brand states platinum chrome and the other stainless steel. The dispensers for both brands appear to be identical. Is one blade to be considered better quality than the other? :confused1

Thank you.

All a matter of personal opinion and preference. Take a look at Sharks. They come in super chrome and stainless. Both are fine blades but some prefer one to the other.

I asked a very similar question a while back and the consensus was the general intra-line (same brand) pecking order is: stainless, chrome, platinum as far as quality positioning/marketing. Between brands it is of course pretty much irrelavent.

All a matter of personal opinion and preference. Take a look at Sharks. They come in super chrome and stainless. Both are fine blades but some prefer one to the other.

Actually, they are the same blade just relabeled with different names. The Super Chromes were superseded by the Super Stainless in terms of naming. The Super Chromes are simply NOS.

Actually, they are the same blade just relabeled with different names. The Super Chromes were superseded by the Super Stainless in terms of naming. The Super Chromes are simply NOS.

I am little confused by your post.

Are you saying both blades are the same even though they have different names? Vendors seem to make a distinction by saying the Super Chrome are chrome plated but are silent about this for the Stainless. For example,
WCS shaving writes up the Super Chrome as follows: Shark Super Chrome double edge razor blades. These stainless steel double edge blades are chrome plated and fit all double edge razors. Made in Egypt. 5 blades per pack. For the Super Stainless they say: Shark Super Stainless double edge razor blades are stainless blades that fit all double edge razors. Sharp and smooth, these are high quality blades.

Other vendors such as Bull Goose also seem to make a distinction.

I am little confused by your post.

Are you saying both blades are the same even though they have different names? Vendors seem to make a distinction by saying the Super Chrome are chrome plated but are silent about this for the Stainless. For example,
WCS shaving writes up the Super Chrome as follows: Shark Super Chrome double edge razor blades. These stainless steel double edge blades are chrome plated and fit all double edge razors. Made in Egypt. 5 blades per pack. For the Super Stainless they say: Shark Super Stainless double edge razor blades are stainless blades that fit all double edge razors. Sharp and smooth, these are high quality blades.

Other vendors such as Bull Goose also seem to make a distinction.

Shark blades are not chrome plated but have chrome as part of the blade material makup. Chrome plating requires degreasing and surface cleaning to remove debris, various pretreatments (e.g. acid baths) and electrcity to electroplate the surface. To electroplate chrome on the edges of the blade would be costly, diffficult (given the price point) and not be of any useful merit. To me, the blade does not appear to be chrome plated.

Whether WCS or Bullgoose makes any distinction between the two by stating "chrome plated edges" does not, in of itself, make this factually true. As a final aside, the manufacturer does not make any reference to the Super Chrome blade on their website and that is because it was simply an older brand name. There is only the Super Stainless and any Super Chrome blades that are left are simply NOS. You can still find old-style Feather blades, even though they have been discontinued for over 2 decades.

Last edited:
Sharke blades are not chrome plated but have chrome as part of the blade material makup. Chrome plating requires degreasing and surface cleaning to remove debris, various pretreatments (e.g. acid baths) and electrcity to electroplate the surface. To electroplate chrome on the edges of the blade would be costly, diffficult (given the price point) and not be of any useful merit. To me, the blade does not appear to be chrome plated.

Whether WCS or Bullgoose makes any distinction between the two by stating "chrome plated edges" does not, in of itself, make this factually true. As a final aside, the manufacturer does not make any reference to the Super Chrome blade on their website and that is because it was simply an older brand name. There is only the Super Stainless and any Super Chrome blades that are left are simply NOS. You can still find old-style Feather blades, even though they have been discontinued for over 2 decades.

Brio, sorry for hijacking your thread.

DE Shaver:

Thanks for your explanation.

BTW, I tried the Super Chrome today and I did see a few differences. First, they are packaged a lot differently. They have four spots of glue on the paper :scared: and came in a dispenser instead of a cardboard box. Secondly, and more importantly, they did not to be as sharp to me and did not give as smooth a shave. I will give it another try tomorrow to see how it performs.

Top Bottom