Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Analysis of Razor Designs

Images

Well done. I'd like to see if the vintage blades were different in how they behave in the razors, as far as bending, exposure, etc.

We always seem to talk about them in terms of edge (sharpness) only.
    "He must be a king. He hasn't got Williams all over 'im!" - cb91710
    I spend my knights at the Veg Table.

Bill that was an excellent post, nicely done sir.

+1 another vote on adding this information into the wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
    Excellent work! This post needs to be moved to the Wiki or somewhere easily found. It is very informative and deserves to be seen with all the other great work by members.
    +1

Move to wiki please.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgumby View Post
    Well done. I'd like to see if the vintage blades were different in how they behave in the razors, as far as bending, exposure, etc.

We always seem to talk about them in terms of edge (sharpness) only.
    Hi Topgumby -

I've taken a look at some vintage and modern blades - some of my eBay purchases came with a nice selection of oldies!

The original Gillette blades appear to be 0.0075 inch per my calipers, while modern blades are 0.005 inch. The difference in the position of the edge between the old and modern would be half the difference in thickness, or just a bit over one-thousandth of an inch. If you shim a razor blade in a single or double ring, as I've heard some advocate, you increase the gap by a full five thousandths of an inch - i.e. overshoot any purported correction by a factor of five. I mean, if it works for you, great - but I don't think these razors were made to tolerances of a thousandth of an inch in the first place. So I think they're fine with new blades - probably better than ever.

I've noticed some interesting things about the blade stiffness however. The old style has an arching of the cap lengthwise (seems to mostly disappear with the New Improved onward), and the oldest blades have a diamond-shaped indentation around the center hole. When I flex them by hand in both directions, the center diamond seems to "pop" downward. I've been wondering if that wasn't a mechanism to permit a two-way arching (sharp from edge to edge, very gradual lengthwise) with a relatively stiff blade having only three holes, no big center cutout part. But I don't have enough information to do more than make wild guesses. Or even know why they put that arching in there to begin with!

But it's surely interesting.

- Bill

Images

Thanks for the excellent write up and pics!
    Alan
    No electrons were harmed in the transmission of this message

Quote Originally Posted by woodfluter View Post
    . . . If you shim a razor blade in a single or double ring . . .

Can someone explain to me what the "ring" is, perhaps illustrating with photos? Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlanL View Post

Can someone explain to me what the "ring" is, perhaps illustrating with photos? Thanks.

Double Ring (refers to the two rings nearest the head of the razor):

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index...lette_DR_1.jpg

The Single Ring has one ring.

That is all there is to it.

-jim
    Zounds! Balderdash! Jumping Jehoshaphat! harumph!

Add smileys to all of my posts. Put them where you think they should go.

The gin, the gin, glows in the dark, glows in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by gearchow View Post
    Double Ring (refers to the two rings nearest the head of the razor):

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index...lette_DR_1.jpg

The Single Ring has one ring.

That is all there is to it.

-jim

Ah, OK. Thanks.
    So it's not a matter of anything functional, just an artful design feature that allows us to distinguish dates of a certain model?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlanL View Post

Ah, OK. Thanks.
    So it's not a matter of anything functional, just an artful design feature that allows us to distinguish dates of a certain model?
    Yes, and also note that the Double Ring was the first Gillette, only made for a few years (from the wikki: 1903-1906) before they changed to the Single Ring design. So they are a rarity.

-jim
    Last edited by gearchow; 08-18-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Outstanding work. Thank you.

I, too, am really interested in seeing how this would translate to a Slim adjustable on different settings.
    Randall, member of BOTOC

Brilliant! Thanks for the post!
    Hating on Arko since 11/28/2012 | Founder of the He-Man Arko Haters Club

Images

This is an excellent post Bill. Thank you for your efforts. It will help many....

Thanks so much for a great post. It is was most informative. I hope that the shaving fairy brings you a lot of nice toys.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"-Tom Waits

Great job. It would be awesome if you could do some adjustables as well.

very well written - a pleasure to read. too bad i ditched all my de razors in favor of straights or i would go try this out myself!
    three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradyarz View Post
    very well written - a pleasure to read. too bad i ditched all my de razors in favor of straights or i would go try this out myself!
    Well you certainly simplified the cutting angle, exposure and gap questions for yourself.

• cutting angle: how ever you hold it
    • exposure: scary much
    • gap: don't need no stinking gap

-jim

17. Default

Bill, congratulations on a brilliant post. Truly a beautifully executed analysis. Many, many thanks! Moreover, I am delighted you focussed on the vintage 3 piece Gillettes. They are fabulous little machines!
    [B]Every opinion fairly considered, every response courtly.[/B][SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][/SIZE]

I love stuff like this. Did you measure the angle on the physical razor, or just in the pictures?

I'd be willing to take pics of my EJ DE89 to add to this, although I don't have any Derby blades. Hmm...guess that won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling Express View Post
    Bill, congratulations on a brilliant post. Truly a beautifully executed analysis. Many, many thanks! Moreover, I am delighted you focussed on the vintage 3 piece Gillettes. They are fabulous little machines!
    Thank you! I'm honored by the appreciation.

I agree about the 3-piece Gillettes. I use them more than any other. Perfect blend of simplicity and precision.

- Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmoore View Post
    I love stuff like this. Did you measure the angle on the physical razor, or just in the pictures?

I'd be willing to take pics of my EJ DE89 to add to this, although I don't have any Derby blades. Hmm...guess that won't work.
    Don't need to use Derby blades - had one from a sample pack in one razor so decided to stick with that out of scientific OCD!

Just used the pictures for measuring angles. Have to see things under considerable magnification and it's hard to combine that with a protractor! Photos are the best way I think, in addition to documenting what you find. I have measured gaps and such with a field microscope and reticle, however.

You and others could add to this. You don't have to use a terribly sophisticated camera but macro setting is a must, plus a table-top tripod. I had much better luck with indirect lighting than onboard flash. Getting focus and especially alignment is the tricky part. If I could focus manually as with an SLR instead of the blipping autofocus, I could get that right in every shot! Getting the blade near the edge almost exactly perpendicular required many re-tries and discarded shots. But go for it!

I'll do a couple more, including slim adjustable on different settings, perhaps over the weekend.

- Bill
    Last edited by woodfluter; 08-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.