What's new

Dried fish (fish jerky, klippfisk, stockfish, etc..)

First of all I'm aware the things mentioned in the title don't mean the same thing.

I've been interested in drying fish for some years now. I find the history of this ancient preservation method fascinating. Most of the countries located by the sea has their own tradition in prepairing fish this way. Naturally the species of the fish used vary.

Air drying outdoors is nowadays not the only way to dry fish. It can also be done in an oven or in a dehydrator. Though the final product differs significantly in taste and outlook from the fish dried outdoors. Drying fish indoors (like beef jerky) takes usually 8-12 hours (YMMV). Wind drying outdoors can take from few weeks to several months. I've tried to prepare fish both ways. Mostly with dehydrator since here in southern Finland you can dry fish outdoors only in late fall or in spring. I usually use smelts or pikes. The fish used are usually less fatty (cod, haddock, pollock, smelt...) because they don't spoil so quickly. Still, fatty fish like salmon is used in some countries. Dried fish can be enjoyed as jerky, eaten as it is or added to soups or other dishes. For example stockfish is the main ingredient of everybody's favorite the lutefisk. :biggrin1:

Fish is still commercially dried in many countries. Unfortunately in Finland this tradition is practically died. But in countries like Norway it's still going strong. In eastern Europe dried smelts and roaches are a common sight in supermarkets.

I guess the point of this thread would be finding other members with same the interest and to get tips for drying fish.

proxy.php

Familiar view for everyone traveled in northern parts of Norway.

BTW: I roasted some coffee beans while I was writing this so my focus was not 100% in the text. Please forgive me the possible discontinuities in the text. :blushing:

That place must smell pretty bad! haha!

Here in Hawaii, people dry tuna. I'm honestly not a fan, but people seem to be eating it!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can't believe that Richgem hasn't showed up here already.

Dried fish is a staple food in Southeast Asia as well, and beach drying is pretty common.

Top Bottom