What's new

Shave stick in carry-on luggage?

Anyone had any experience with carry-on luggage and a shave stick? It's not a liquid or a gel so seems like you could just throw it in your dopp kit like stick deodorant (i.e., without having to put it in the separate quart bag for toothpaste, etc.).

Thought I'd ask before risking my precious QED Bathtub Gin, thanks!

It should be fine. I've had D.R. Harris Arlington and Speick sticks in my carry-on for several flights, and never had a problem. As a backup, I also carry a little KMF lavender in an old sample-size lotion bottle.

Are you mailing blades ahead of you? That works well for me. I also completely disassemble my (blade-less) three-piece razor for travel. The theory is that an assembled razor might catch some attention on the x-ray device.

I use a shave stick when I travel. Since I move around a lot, I just use a disposable razor.

The one problem that I have had several times is that the TSA has pulled my bag and pulled out my travel brush. They lecture me that I need to have a separate bag for my liquids. I point out to them that it isn't a liquid but a brush. After a confused look they tell me that I still need to put it in a separate bag because it looks like a liquid.:blink:

I have had no problem with shaving sticks. However, a number of times they have questioned me about it. A few TSA agents thought it should be bagged separately although it is not a liquid.

I've been able to travel with even VDH soaps that i had melted into tupperware to travel but I did have one TSA agent question me as she thought it was a liquid and I had to show her that it was indeed solid.

You'll be fine. I take Irisch Moos with me everywhere and the TSA hasn't blinked an eye.

Interesting. I'd guess the fact that it looks like a stick of deodorant makes them disregard it. I don't have any shave sticks yet but I'll have to go on a trip just to see if I can take it. Did I just created Plane Ticket Acquisition Disorder? I think it did. :lol:

I've had to throw away hair wax once, because it was in gel form so they treated it as being closer to a liquid than a solid. Soap, should be ok no what form it's in, though.

I wouldn't take my chances with a nice soap. It seems like the rules on what you are allowed to carry on depends on the mood of the agent. Maybe stick to Arko so you're not devastated if they make you throw it out.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's what I bring when I travel. It's soap so I don't see what kind of problem you could get (not sharp, not liquid, not radioactive)...

Top Bottom