What's new

New gal, needs help with customizing blades

hey out there,

I saw a post which now I can't seem to find. I purchased a gold plated valet razor. It does not have the single hinge but the two small clips at each side that lock the blade into place. The post talked about how "dave" had a video on youtube about customizing blades for a valet. I am hoping this customization thing will work for this razor. But I can not find that video on youtube. Anybody out there have any information for me in reference to the valet, I will be very grateful.

I have researched the net all over and can't seem to find a blade to fit it. I am new to this whole thing and have learned much from you badger & blade folks. It's impressive the amount of knowledge that can be found here.

It's my first time asking for help, so I am hoping for a little expert help. I got into this whole thing looking for a razor for my brother and now I am convinced it is the way to go for me as well.

So far I have purchased a gem micromatic, gem jr. with the fake ivory handle & the beautiful scroll work (it is a real beauty and cost me $2.00 bucks at a thrift store).

For those two beauties I have on order some personnas blades but for the valet , I seem to be stuck. If anyone has blade advice on the gem's I will take that too.

Here's hoping there is help out there,
tlinkous

Hello, and welcome to B&B!

Dave used to spend more time here, but not too much these days. Last I heard, he was actually working on putting together information to write a book on Gem razors.

He's the expert on Gem razors and also the Valet Auto Strop razors.

In this video, he shows how to modify a single edge blade for a 1912 Valet. He specifically mentions another (more recent?) model of the Valet and says that the modification will not work for that, only the 1912.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Bq0nLygEg&feature=related

Thanks, that's a start at least!

Need to send photos of razor in to get the proper id on it anyway. Not sure exact make and model. Need to look up the patent numbers. I will watch video in hopes it is my model.

Thanks, again, tlinkous

Thanks so much, I have sent the PM on to you.
Wow, this site is so great, never knew shaving would have such a great community.
Thanks again,
T

Top Bottom