What's new

La Aurora 1495- Cigars

So I was away from my lovely cigar collection for about 6 months. While I was away my better half forgot to close my humidor and after about a month of exposure my collection dried out. When I met up with her she brought me one of my go-to cigars, the La Aurora 1495 Robusto. I hadn't touched a tobacco product for 6 months so I was eager to take a smoke... Well I noticed it was about as dry as a tumble weed but I smoked it anyhow. I know my palate was off but it still tasted great. That was last week. Last night I bought a fresh La Flor Dominicana, and it tasted like crap to me. I usually like La FLor... And today I tried another La Gloria from my dried out collection and it was dry but not bad. What is going on here? Arent dry cigars poor tasting? I seem to remember that was the truth of it. I must have fouled my tounge with too much bad cafeteria food. Any ideas?
:bored:

I found that when my cigars were in the lower RH like 60-65, they tasted better and they were also a little fuller; they burned hotter but you can always control that by taking less frequent draws.

I don't smoke anymore, but I believed that when I did smoke everything I ate/drank up to the point I smoked the cigar effected the the way I would perceive the cigar's aroma/taste. It is definitely possible something you ate didn't harmonize with your stick.

Dryness alone shouldn't change the flavor. As Ink stated, a dry cigar can burn faster and hotter which does bring out the bitter and bad flavors for those of us who are fast puffers.

In your situation, you also have the aging factor. Seasoned cigars that have been in my humidor for several months or even years are clearly better in my opinion.

Rehumidfy the cigar if it's still smokable. The way you were talking, I thought the cigar was falling apart in your hand. Load up your trays with distilled water, wipe down the cedar with more distilled water, and stick the cigars back in.

and +3, cigars that are dry are still smokable. Just won't be as good since you don't have the tar and oils that the cigar usually has.

Very interesting. I'll go ahead and re-humidify. I already sealed em up with extra solution and just bought my smokes this week. The biggest drag about dry cigars is that they tend to unroll as you smoke them. I like to smoke to the nub and when they are dry you really cant.

The biggest drag about dry cigars is that they tend to unroll as you smoke them. I like to smoke to the nub and when they are dry you really cant.

Very true. Try holding out on the dry cigars for about a week or more. I'd say you'll be impressed by what water can do...

Top Bottom