What's new

What would you recommend?

I have been using the same since I began wetshaving, a Merkur 23c. I get great shaves from it in combination with IR Personna blades. I want to try a different razor but I don't want one with the same characteristics as this one. I have been reading about different razors, like EJ and Muhle, and found some of them use Merkur heads. I don't want to purchase a new razor to find it has the same head as the 23c either. I also don't want a razor that is real aggressive since I also shave my head with it. Any ideas would be great, thanks.:biggrin1:

I have been using the same since I began wetshaving, a Merkur 23c. I get great shaves from it in combination with IR Personna blades. I want to try a different razor but I don't want one with the same characteristics as this one. I have been reading about different razors, like EJ and Muhle, and found some of them use Merkur heads. I don't want to purchase a new razor to find it has the same head as the 23c either. I also don't want a razor that is real aggressive since I also shave my head with it. Any ideas would be great, thanks.:biggrin1:

Try a vintage Gillette Super Speed.

I'm a fan of the Edwin Jagger DE89 and related razors. They're not too aggressive, are of high quality and not too expensive.

Try a vintage Gillette Super Speed.

I'll second that, :thumbup: for the classic Gilettes.

As a alternative, maybe an open comb?
Muhle R41, for example;

attachment.php

Luc's R41 thread here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=75067

+1 on the vintage Gillettes, especially a Slim or FB if you're interested in getting an adjustable. Maybe a Tech, since they are such mild shavers. Good luck in your search for the ultimate shave!:001_smile

First of all, great avatar. Da Bears!

Secondly, you should look into a single-edge razor. You should be able to find a Gem Featherweight for about $5-$7 in good condition, and it's pretty mild to me. I also started with a 23C, and since I discovered SE, I haven't looked back. I've got 5 razors, and my 23C is my only DE.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Another vote for a Vintage Gillette!

IIRC, the new EJ and Mühle heads are different from the Merkur heads found in their older models. I can unreservedly recommend the DE89L - it is a great razor.

Though you really can't go wrong with a vintage Gillette, either.

Top Bottom