What's new

Ok, here's my journey.................

I started wet shaving in July 2007. After all the "buying, swapping, and finding" that is associated with newbies and RAD, I have accumulated 200 DE, SE, and straights. If one goes back to the fall of 2007, you might find threads on some nut who was buying up razors on ebay for crazy prices. I also bought a large amount of shaving gear on this forum.
That was me. Please keep in mind that some of my bids were won by a dollar or a few pennies on the bay. That's an indication that I was not alone in the bidding. If I liked a razor, I bought two. One for use, the other for a collection. I had a bad case as you can see.

After four years of shaving with the above stock of razors, I can honestly say that I get the same shave from all of them. The only two razors that I use differently, are the Slant and the old type. No "Gillette Slide" with the slant, and a tad bit less pressure with the Old Type. I stopped using straights for I felt it reached a point of diminishing returns. My routine is a shower, soap, cream or whatever, two passes, WTG, ATG, and a clear water touch up. All my shaves are BBS. No irritation, no weepers, and hardly ever a sting from my aftershaves. I have a grey thick beard, and I am fair skinned.

For the last week I have been comparing my shaves with a Tech, Slant, Red tip, SS(1950), Aristocrat, and Fat Boy set on seven. All the same. BBS, no irritation and the usual feel of the shave getting better after an hour or so.

My question is this. Are the conversations we have about the attributes of these wonderful collectables in our heads, or do they have merit? Does anyone else experience the same results that I do?

Please understand that this post is not to brag, but rather find out if the last four years have been consumed with trivial differences between shaving equipment or I just don't get it.

Thanks.

I am guessing that you prefer a 30 degree angle or close to it. IMO, most razors can accommodate that angle. For those who prefer an angle more like 20-25 degrees, many razors - especially those with thicker or higher profile caps - simply can't be made to cut at the desired angle.

I don't have much experience but now I feel better about the 10 or 15 DE razors I have bought so far! It does sound to me like your technique is such that you can get a BBS with just about any razor, that sounds pretty cool to me. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!
:thumbup1:

Mr.K,
My experience is very similar to yours. I have maybe the same number of razors with duplicates of my favorites, one for the collection and one for shaving. Of the de's, 199 are Gillette and 1 is a Merkur which I bought over a year ago, used it once and then stored it away as I prefer the shaves I get from all my Gillette's. I have maybe 10 razors in my rotation and another 10 or so I use from time to time. From the Old Type to a New or any of the TTO's, the shaves are pretty much the same, no weepers or irritation. I think when I start every shave I automatically change the blade angle without realizing it. The only thing I find is a Tech and maybe a Schick injector is a little too mild.

Len

I think the different characteristics and feel of the different razors are there. They do make for fascinating discussion, analysis and collecting.

That said, the differences in tennis rackets is probably more pronounced, and I'm pretty sure Roger Federer would get a better game out of one of the wood rackets in my garage than I would with the latest high dollar creations on the market now. Same if the rackets were switched.

Technique, muscle memory and experience trump hardware. I'm a newb compared to you, but I can already see that some of the razors I "knew" were not for me when I started shave just fine now.

I think the different characteristics and feel of the different razors are there. They do make for fascinating discussion, analysis and collecting. ........................
Technique, muscle memory and experience trump hardware. I'm a newb compared to you, but I can already see that some of the razors I "knew" were not for me when I started shave just fine now.

Exactly. It's also a lesson not to give up on a particular razor. Once your technique is where it should be that razor that's chewing you up now will be just great and maybe even your favorite in the future.

Len

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't try as many razors but most razors are different and need some kind of adaptation when you use them (as you mentioned, Gillette slide vs. non-Gillette Slide, weight of the razor, angle. For the straight, grind, size, weight, etc).

I think it's good that you share your experience!

Very interesting post. So far, the only razor I haven't been able to use is the red tip. Makes me think, there may be a bend, or damage in some way, as I can use an adjustable at just about any setting with good results. I agree that technique can overcome just about any problem, regardless of the razor.

That being said, I too have about 13 to 15 razors. I have bought them all for shaving, not collecting. I only buy, if I can get them for dirt cheap, and I have enjoyed getting them, and using them.

Jeff

Top Bottom