What's new

One more new guy checking in

Well I took the plunge and went crazy. Bought an EJ, a Merkur long handle and a very well preserved Gillette super speed 1966. Loaded Derbys in all three and lathered up.
I realized that my hands shake somewhat and the EJ was a little too heavy and the Merkur a little too light. I finally finished a shave without blood with the Gillette.
Questions: do I use a separate bowl to lather or do it in the same bowl the soap is in?
Do they still make Aramis aftershave and is it any good?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome! I would keep your brush fairly dry and swirl that in the soap to load the brush and then add water to create your lather (face / bowl / hand - doesnt matter). I wouldn't try and make lather in the soap dish as this would introduce alot of water into the soap dish and could permenantly degrade the soap.

Aramis is readily available (Amazon etc) but can't remember its qualities. Nice smell though!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

You can either lather in a different bowl or on the soap directly. It might waste a lot of soap if you lather on top directly.

You can also face lather or hand lather.

It's a matter of preference.

I think they're an Aramis Aftershave yes but if it's good, no idea, I never tried it.

Hi and welcome! I think the previous are quite right: lathering on the soap itself will probably cost you a lot of soap... :wink2:

Well I took the plunge and went crazy. Bought an EJ, a Merkur long handle and a very well preserved Gillette super speed 1966. Loaded Derbys in all three and lathered up.
I realized that my hands shake somewhat and the EJ was a little too heavy and the Merkur a little too light. I finally finished a shave without blood with the Gillette.
Questions: do I use a separate bowl to lather or do it in the same bowl the soap is in?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there,

Looks like you've got a bunch of well respected razors to start off with. It may turn out that one of those may end up being your favorite.......down the road a ways.

The idea behind only using one razor and blade combo when first starting to use a DE is a sound one. Those variables being the same will help form a base for future comparisons. For example, the next blade you try may feel different with the same razor that you're used to.

I'd imagine alternating 2-3 different razors will be nothing but confusing for you. Right now you have zero technique, and have no idea what razor is a good fit. By switching around, you'll constantly be having to adjust things for each razors nature, and that's something you can't do successfully right now.

Of course, it's your choice how you'd like to begin this DE thing, and you may like more of a challenge...........

Martin

Welcome!

You have some very good razors.

The choice of the lathering method is a personal one. Try them all and see what works best for you. Personally, I lather in a separate bowl. I think it gives me more control over the consistency of the lather.

I use an AS balm and I'm really not familiar with Aramis.

Welcome!

You have some very good razors.

The choice of the lathering method is a personal one. Try them all and see what works best for you. Personally, I lather in a separate bowl. I think it gives me more control over the consistency of the lather.

I use an AS balm and I'm really not familiar with Aramis.

+1. I used Aramis before - but my wife doesn't like the scent so I no longer use it. :closedeye

Thanks for any help.

I use a separate bowl. It's ceramic. I fill it with hot water, put my brush in there and leave it whilst I'm showering.

Yes they still make Aramis and IMO it is very good.

Welcome along.Hang onto the other razors and once you have your technique down come back to them in a month or two. You might like them after all!

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom