What's new

New to DE World

Hi All,
I am a new convert to DE shaving. My experience started a few months back when I ventured into the AOS store in White Plains. I was visiting as I live in Buffalo, NY. I listened to the pitch and decided I would give it a try. I purchased the AOS Sandalwood mini travel pack for $50 and was pleasantly pleased with the initial results. So pleased in fact, that I have since purchased these additional items:

EJ DE 89lbl
EJ Best Badger Medium
Derby Blades
AOS Sandalwood Soap & Teak Bowl (nice stuff but expensive)
EJ Sea Buckthorn Soap (the smell is intoxicating...and seems to work as well as AOS for a lot less)

I now enjoy a unique experience in the morning before work and haven't looked back. The EJ razor is stunning and I really like the way it performs. I will no doubt purchase a vintage Gillette down the road. Since converting, I have only a few nicks to speak of. That only seems to happen on either the 2nd XTG or 3rd ATG pass. I am sure that has to do with angle, pressure and my inexperience.

My only true question at this point concerns Pre-Shave Oil. I have read a number of threads & reviews on pre-shave oil and am still wondering:

1. Is Pre-Shave Oil really necessary? Some use it and some don't. I seem to get a nice lather with both soaps I am currently using.

2. If so, can you provide suggestions on other brands. The AOS stuff is ok, but I am looking to expand my horizons. I am more interested in performance than price. I don't want to spend a ton...but...if it works, I have no problem spending the money now that I am only paying 20 cents/blade.

AOS Update - I was back in the store last week and wanted to engage the sales person in a deeper conversation on their DE Razors and other product (give me a good reason to purchase more gear). It was immediately apparent he wanted to sell, sell, sell. Once I told him I wasn't going to buy anything right then, he walked away. The guy was rude and when the conversation turned toward using a DE razor he gave me a look like....Are you serious? Not to mention, I think I know more about DE shaving after three months of reading B&B posts that the guy working at the store. Nice stuff...bad customer service. Not sure I will be spending anymore money with them.

EJ Sea Buckthorn Soap (the smell is intoxicating...and seems to work as well as AOS for a lot less)
Welcome!

I really like the Sea Buckthorn soap as well (I have the Muhle, but six/half dozen). Great performer and the scent is fantastic!

As to alternatives for AoS, I have been told that Valobra actually makes the AoS products. Regardless if true, the Valobra line gets much love here and I have my first stick on the way to see for myself.

Some other product I have first hand experience with that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend:

1. QED soap and/or stick - great value, performance, etc.
2. Proraso/CO Bigelo cream - great lather readily available brick and mortar in US
3. Kiss My Face - solid and also available locally in US
4. MWF - clean, great lather and very protective for solid shave

Welcome to the Church of Badger and Balde. Please spend your offerings on as much shaving gear as you can get your hands on!

I jest, but welcome! Sounds like you have a great setup (I also have the EJ DE89L and EJ BBB in medium)!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hi All,
I am a new convert to DE shaving. My experience started a few months back when I ventured into the AOS store in White Plains. I was visiting as I live in Buffalo, NY. I listened to the pitch and decided I would give it a try. I purchased the AOS Sandalwood mini travel pack for $50 and was pleasantly pleased with the initial results. So pleased in fact, that I have since purchased these additional items:

EJ DE 89lbl
EJ Best Badger Medium
Derby Blades
AOS Sandalwood Soap & Teak Bowl (nice stuff but expensive)

I now enjoy a unique experience in the morning before work and haven't looked back. The EJ razor is stunning and I really like the way it performs. I will no doubt purchase a vintage Gillette down the road. Since converting, I have only a few nicks to speak of. That only seems to happen on either the 2nd XTG or 3rd ATG pass. I am sure that has to do with angle, pressure and my inexperience.

My only true question at this point concerns Pre-Shave Oil. I have read a number of threads & reviews on pre-shave oil and am still wondering:

1. Is Pre-Shave Oil really necessary? Some use it and some don't. I seem to get a nice lather with both soaps I am currently using.

2. If so, can you provide suggestions on other brands. The AOS stuff is ok, but I am looking to expand my horizons. I am more interested in performance than price. I don't want to spend a ton...but...if it works, I have no problem spending the money now that I am only paying 20 cents/blade.

AOS Update - I was back in the store last week and wanted to engage the sales person in a deeper conversation on their DE Razors and other product (give me a good reason to purchase more gear). It was immediately apparent he wanted to sell, sell, sell. Once I told him I wasn't going to buy anything right then, he walked away. The guy was rude and when the conversation turned toward using a DE razor he gave me a look like....Are you serious? Not to mention, I think I know more about DE shaving after three months of reading B&B posts that the guy working at the store. Nice stuff...bad customer service. Not sure I will be spending anymore money with them.

Welcome to B&B Liam!:001_smile
Glad you like your new DE shaving experience!:thumbup1:
Here is my opinion on your questions:

1. Some wet shavers use a pre-shave oil or balm, some do not. Some think it is helpful for getting a better shave, some think it is only a waste of money... It seems a very subjective matter indeed. And I'm sure, here at B&B, you'll find supporters of both factions.

2. In fifteen years of wet shaving only one pre-shave treatment has actually worked for me, giving much better, closer, more comfortable shaves: Proraso Pre & Post shave cream. I posted a review on this great Italian product. If you want, give a look at it, here is the link: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154293

Last edited:
Welcome to Badger & Blade!

1. Pre-shave oil is not necessary. In fact, I would avoid it. It gunks up your razors and sink and good prep makes it useless. Use Kyle's prep. It involves applying lather to your face and then putting a hot towel over it for two minutes.

2. See above. Also, Kyle's prep costs you nothing. You already have the lather and you will probably need a hot towel anyway.

Be sure to also get a blade sample pack. Bull Goose Shaving and West Coast Shaving offer them.

The only "necessary" things are a blade and moisture. Some men benefit from the use of extra products, some don't. If you're satisfied with your current regimen, that's fine. If you think you might do better with something else, then by all means, go for it! No harm in trying things.

In my research as I returned to wet DE shaving, I was pleased to find so much information on the Web regarding techniques and products. Then I started to feel overwhelmed by it all. How could I remember all this?? And eventually, I started finding contradictory information: use this product, no don't; always use this technique, never use it; etc.

Then it dawned on me: the reason there is so much varying information available on so many products and techniques, is because different things work for different men.

In the end, this is probably why we all like to think of our shaving as an art.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I don't use shaving oil, it didn't change anything for me but you shouldn't stop there, try some. Plain olive oil will do the trick.

Welcome aboard B&B. You have already gotten some very good comments. There is a wealth of shaving wisdom available from members.

I would not pass on AOS just because of the sales people. Their soaps are at the pinnacle of quality. If you don't like interacting with the sales people, there is always on-line or just go into the store, select your products, pay and leave happy. You probably do know more than most of their salespeople - good for you.

Welcome to B&B. I don't use pre-shave oil but don't let that stop you from trying. You'll find that as with most things in life, in wet shaving, YMMV. If it works for you, do it; if it doesn't, don't do it!

There are several online sources I have used that I should have mentioned as well:

1. QED - Charles is great to work with, quick to answer any email questions you may have and is also the supplier of his house brand QED soaps. I have used Pine/Cedarwood that easily may be my favorite scented soap and also just received Bathtub Gin and took for a test run earlier this week.

2. WestCoastShaving - John [letterk here at B&B]has great customer service, very nice assortment of products, competitive pricing, etc. Have ordered a number of things from him and he is also a great source for blade samplers to check out.

3. Vintage Blades - another great vendor. Jim is very service oriented. I picked up my Rooney 3/1 brush from him and he inspected before shipping, which I thought was a nice touch.

There are several others that are well regarded including Bullgoose, Gentlemen's Best, Mama Bears and the Superior Shave to name a few but I have not dealt with them directly.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Welcome!

You certainly have a nice setup. I have tried King Of Shaves pre-shave oil and was not impressed. I was doing pretty good before I tried it and I was curious whether it would enhance an already great experience. Aside from the menthol and eucalyptus sensations, it did nothing to enhance my shave experience. I guess I just don't need it.

I am a confessed soap junkie. There are so many good soaps and creams available to us today. It is really hard for one of us to tell another what they will like. I like Mama Bear glycerin soaps. They come in a great # of fragrances, lather really well and give a great shave. I also like Tabac as a tallow based soap. Works really well and has a truly unique and pleasant fragrance. In terms of creams, I favor Speick and Palmolive (green tube), Both are made in Germany, are relatively inexpensive and do a super job. The unique fragrance of the Speick really appeals to me. I really should give mention to Proraso. Both the soaps and the creams give a super lather and will be a great addition to your collection but I personally am having trouble warming up to the menthol experience. I have no experience with AOS soaps and creams but a lot of people seem to really like them. I have also read numerous marketing horror stories from store visitors.

I hope this helps. Keep us advised,

Welcome, you have a nice setup.

I think it depends which AOS store you go to. The one in Paramus has two knowledgeable sales people, both of which at least use a DE on a part time basis.

Top Bottom