What's new

Women's Razors

I'm trying to convince my LOTH to stop using cartridge razors and canned goop to shave with. Being a newbie to straight shaving myself, I have not always had the best shaving habits either, and I don't know much about the various types of DE safety razors out there. Obviously, a woman is not going to use a straight razor, so I wanted to get input on what type of razors are the best for women to use. She shaves all the typical areas(legs, bikini, armpits). I know the process of trying to convert her will be slow and painful, and I don't really think she'll ever stop using canned goo(she's just too impatient to build lather with a brush, I think), but I'm going to try.

I've heard of Lady Gillette's & Lady Eversharps, but cannot seem to find any anywhere. Do they still produce these razors for new purchase? Does anyone have any suggestions where to find these? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions on different types of razors for women to use? Thanks! :001_smile

Actually there are some women who use a straight razor to shave. Lady gillette razor can still be found, but they are not still produced. Look on eBay and you should be able to pick one up for $16-$20. They came in blue, pink, and champagne (yellow). The latter two go for more money.

To help get her to try it, offer shave her legs with a DE(Great for date night:blush:). Always a treat they like and helps get them over the "I'll cut myself to peices" nonsense. After that try a Lady Gillette, Gillette Knack, or a Schick Krona. These were all longer handled and my wife(I think most women to) likes the longer handled ones. Trader Joes and Neutrogena plus a host of other companies make brushless cream, kinda like a lotion almost. Mine hasn't moved up to the brush and lather yet but she likes the much closer shave she gets from the DE. As mentioned I'm sure one of the women her can help more but thats most of what I've learned.

Jay

A favorite of ours is indeed the Lady Gillette. Feels nice in the hand, nice shave, and of course, is super cute. (Shut up. It is cute.) Of course your lady's choice may differ, but if nothing else it is a great starter. It even has a longer handle to make leg shaving easier. Highly recommend.

As for canned goo, I really like TOBS avocado, as do some of the other ladies. I've also heard good things about shave sticks from Mama Bear.

Don't forget the brush. Start thinking gift basket.:thumbup1:

And now I'll pass it off to who I'm pretty sure will be Barber-Eile.

To help get her to try it, offer shave her legs with a DE(Great for date night:blush:). Always a treat they like and helps get them over the "I'll cut myself to peices" nonsense. After that try a Lady Gillette, Gillette Knack, or a Schick Krona. These were all longer handled and my wife(I think most women to) likes the longer handled ones. Trader Joes and Neutrogena plus a host of other companies make brushless cream, kinda like a lotion almost. Mine hasn't moved up to the brush and lather yet but she likes the much closer shave she gets from the DE. As mentioned I'm sure one of the women her can help more but thats most of what I've learned.

Jay

+1. Help her make lather, ask her opinions on scents, etc. Making it a couple's thing could help.

Actually there are some women who use a straight razor to shave.

*Raises her hand* :blush: okay so technically I use a shavette but it's close. I need to sharpen my straights a bit more before I do a full leg shave with them.
I also have a champagne Lady Gillette which I love and an adjustable which is also great. Check on the B/S/T for a Lady Gillette or post a WTB and you might be in luck. They do pop up every once in a while. More often than not in the blue colour.

Get her to give shave sticks a go. Seriously - it's just as easy as goo. Mama Bear's do great scents, Arko lathers like a beast, and Gentlemen's Best is lovely and soft and lathers easily.
You just rub them onto your leg and use the brush to create the lather. The leg shaving wiki describes it a bit more. Seriously once she's tried using a nice soft badger brush on her legs she'll wonder why she ever used goo. Tell her about all the chemicals in goo and about how nice lovely soap with good-for-your-skin ingredients will leave her skin so much softer.
And once she's converted (or even before and we'll help her along!) show her the Women Shaver's social group on here too!
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=88

And now I'll pass it off to who I'm pretty sure will be Barber-Eile.

Lol... Am I that obvious? :blush:

One last point. Get her a blade sampler pack too. Your favourite blade may not be her favourite blade. Indeed if you use straights you may not have DE blades around. Personally I like the Gillette 7 O'clocks (green and yellow versions). Some of the other ladies on here like Feathers. I'm not 100% sold on them yet and you might be best starting her off on something a little less sharp in case she applies pressure by mistake (easy mistake to make at the start if you're converting from cartridges).
Also let her know she doesn't have to bin her cartridge all together. She might like to use that still for trickier areas etc. But once she's hooked I bet it'll end up rusting on the shelf! :thumbup:

*Raises her hand* :blush: okay so technically I use a shavette but it's close. I need to sharpen my straights a bit more before I do a full leg shave with them.
I also have a champagne Lady Gillette which I love and an adjustable which is also great. Check on the B/S/T for a Lady Gillette or post a WTB and you might be in luck. They do pop up every once in a while. More often than not in the blue colour.

Get her to give shave sticks a go. Seriously - it's just as easy as goo. Mama Bear's do great scents, Arko lathers like a beast, and Gentlemen's Best is lovely and soft and lathers easily.
You just rub them onto your leg and use the brush to create the lather. The leg shaving wiki describes it a bit more. Seriously once she's tried using a nice soft badger brush on her legs she'll wonder why she ever used goo. Tell her about all the chemicals in goo and about how nice lovely soap with good-for-your-skin ingredients will leave her skin so much softer.
And once she's converted (or even before and we'll help her along!) show her the Women Shaver's social group on here too!
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=88

Lol... Am I that obvious? :blush:

One last point. Get her a blade sampler pack too. Your favourite blade may not be her favourite blade. Indeed if you use straights you may not have DE blades around. Personally I like the Gillette 7 O'clocks (green and yellow versions). Some of the other ladies on here like Feathers. I'm not 100% sold on them yet and you might be best starting her off on something a little less sharp in case she applies pressure by mistake (easy mistake to make at the start if you're converting from cartridges).
Also let her know she doesn't have to bin her cartridge all together. She might like to use that still for trickier areas etc. But once she's hooked I bet it'll end up rusting on the shelf! :thumbup:

Naw, I'm just psychic. :sorcerer:

It took a while, but my husband finally convinced me that I wouldn't cut myself to pieces and that the shave would be a much better quality. Man am I glad he did!
For me, it was his persistent reassurance that really got me. He also let me watch as he shaved and gave me some great pointers "just in case I ever did decide to try it". He really made me feel like I could do it and my curiosity got the better of me! Don't give up, she'll come around. :001_smile

Top Bottom