What's new

Never touched a straight before....used a Feather AC today

Whew, am I glad that's over.

Not that it was a bad, or painful shave....I just think the sweat running down my face was from nerves instead of the steam! I've been using a DE for the past few months and have been itching to get into straights. Not being completely willing to invest the time and money necessary to go into real straights, I went on CS and picked up a Feather AC RG in ebony.

First off, the razor. Build wise, it's an extremely impressive piece of kit. It's thick, weighty, and for having the basic form of a traditional straight razor, it's thoroughly modern. The matte finish, ribs on the bottom of the shank, and extra long tang really give wet, soapy fingers great traction, preventing accidental drops and slip ups for newbies like me. The ebony scales are very pretty and have a good grain, while the shape balances and fits very comfortably in the hand. Though I have to say, I am a little sad that CS was sold out of the teak. :tongue_sm

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last night I put in one of the Professional Light blades that came in the box with the razor and tried it out on some arm hairs. So that's what straight users mean when they talking about hair "popping" off! I proceeded to run to SWMBO to show her, she tried it on her own arm and begged me to be careful, as she did not want to clean up the mess in the bathroom after I accidentally killed myself with it.

This morning, I woke early and hopped in the shower after a restless sleep (new toys have a way of causing this). American Crew Citrus Mint shampoo did a stand up job waking me up, and I started the shave. Wanting a cooling, slick lather for this particular shave, I reached for a Williams/Proraso super lather and my trusty Rooney 3/1. The lather gods must have been shining down on me this morning, for it was a fantastic batch indeed. Letting the lather settle into my skin after a long, relaxing brush session, I contemplated the razor, awkwardly holding it in various positions, trying to figure out how to shave the different parts of my face while not impeding my vision. Yes, I am far too clumsy to even think about trying to shave with my left hand at this point.

And finally it was time. I ran the brush over my face a couple more times and put the blade to my face. Having read all the reviews and opinions on this razor, I kept a SUPER light touch, and an extremely shallow angle (as shallow as this razor will provide, anyway). The result was me just skimming over the top of the cream and not shaving anything, so I sucked it up, lifted the spine slightly and gave a little pressure. I was rewarded with the razor literally falling through my whiskers on the first WTG pass. The entire face was very easy to do and felt smooth and comfortable. I lathered up for an XTG pass and the results were just as great. The blade angle was much easier to maintain compared to when I started with the DE, and as long as I acted as if I was "tickling" my face with the razor, it was at the proper pressure. What ultimately surprised me the most was how the XTG pass with the Feather nearly matched the ATG passes I get with my DE.

After these two passes I decided not to press my luck. A quick cold water rinse closed up the five very little nicks I made on the second pass, and a splash of AV finished the shave off nicely. I have a feeling that once my technique becomes more refined that this may replace my DE's for the bulk of my daily shaves. Maneuvering around my chin and upper lip will definitely take a lot of practice, but I feel much more confident now that I realize using this razor is not the shaving equivalent of crossing the streams. I will keep everyone updated on how I progress with this razor, and thank everyone that has posted about it before, as your advice has probably saved me at least a few drops of blood. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Kudos for braving the tall tales and giving it a try.

The heavy body and rigid blade work something like a wedge, which makes short work of a tough beard. I have a non-folding handle which begs to be held more like a toothbrush than a straight razor. It still gives me a hard time over the chin, but I haven't really used it enough to be familiar with it.

Enjoy the shaves.

Sweet!

The blade angle was much easier to maintain compared to when I started with the DE, and as long as I acted as if I was "tickling" my face with the razor, it was at the proper pressure.

That's one of the many things I love about using a straight, you can really feel what the blade/edge is doing without all sorts of safety bars and top caps in the way!:thumbup1:

I have the sister-razor (KAI Captain) and it's a GREAT shaver. I think it trained me well for proper straights.

Thanks guys.

On a couple notes, my beard is not very thick from the cheeks down, and pretty average to thick on the sideburns to jawline, goatee area, and the middle of my neck. My hair is also pretty coarse (no matter how tan I get, I still have a 9 o'clock shadow when I'm BBS). The blade used this morning was the Professional Light which I swiped on a cork about three times before shaving, and I was quite surprised with how rough it felt on the first pull through the cork. By the third it was smooth as glass. The shave was about four hours ago and I cannot feel any irritation or soreness, which is very different than the times I have used a Feather in my DE, with which I would feel a bit tender and raw even the next morning.

I will follow your progress closely, so please update here if you can..

Like you, I started DE a few months ago and thoroughly enjoy it, and over the past two weeks have been looking into both the Kai Captain Excelia and the AC razors.

There is precious little info out there on how to use these razors and even less on the differences.

What information were you able to find on technique?

Did you look at the Kai as well? I am trying to find out how these two differ..weight, ergonomics etc. I know they can use the same blades but can't find out too much more.

Looking forward to see more as you progress!!

I will make sure to keep you all updated. The information out there is not terribly abundent, but everything you need to know has more or less been said. There are multiple threads on this forum, SRP, and Shave Den that discuss the razor, its benefits, and drawbacks. Regarding technique, it's basically better to err on the side of safety. Start shallow and light, only increasing angle and pressure to the point where it is shaving the hair. Let the weight of the razor do a lot of the work. Short light strokes!

I did not look into the Kai, and honestly hadn't heard of it until JPDyson's post above. Taking a quick look online it seems that they are harder to find here in the states. Most, if not all, of the big online shave stores carry the Feather.

You've made a very wise choice by choosing a Feather AC to start out straight shaving with. The ebony is lovely.
There are other good choices too, but I still use my Kai Captain Excelia as my daily shaver. You may continue to use that razor (among others) for as long as you continue to grow whiskers.

Enjoy your shaves!

I still use my Kai Captain Excelia as my daily shaver.

Have you had an opportunity to compare the Feather and Kai offerings side-by side?

I am undecided as to which to buy.. there are a few Kai's available pre-owned and the Feather is easily had. I prefer the aethetics of the Feather but the Kai seems to be sought after.. is it primarily the limited availability or is there a measurable difference in the performance?

Have you had an opportunity to compare the Feather and Kai offerings side-by side?

I am undecided as to which to buy.. there are a few Kai's available pre-owned and the Feather is easily had. I prefer the aethetics of the Feather but the Kai seems to be sought after.. is it primarily the limited availability or is there a measurable difference in the performance?

The Kai is sought, mostly because it is a bit rare. It is comparable to the Feather AC.

I am comparing the Kai Captain Excelia to the Feather AC DX. And I've only used the non-folding versions of these razors. Both are top of the line shavers from these manufacturers and work great, but in terms of balance and efficacy, the Feather AC wins. If I lived in Japan, I might think of the Kai as a knockoff of the Feather, but its rare and it shaves well and its fun to shave with.

Anyone care to compare the folding version of both? I just bought a brand new Excelia from the B/S/T forum here. It should be here tomorrow and I will try it out. I like the looks of the Feather with the black scales more though. Is the stainless DX available in black as well or is it just the RG? Does anyone have any comments as to how the finish on the RG holds up and how the performance as far as sticking or anything else is as compared to the stainless?

Is the stainless DX available in black as well or is it just the RG?

The Stainless DX version is available in the black wood.. Midnight Wood Feather Razor "Artist Club DX" Stainless Steel. Also available in teak.

I know the Kai is more desirable for it's limited availability, but I prefer the aesthetics of the Feather line. I just ordered a Feather AC... should have it in a week or so..

Got another great shave today with the AC. No nicks or irritation at all. What I really love is that it is so sharp that it cleanly and comfortably slices through all my problem spots in any direction (especially on the bottom right of my neck where the hair grows in a spiral pattern). A splash of Musgo Real afterwards felt great.

One funny story, though. I purchased a new puck of AOS Lavender in the wood bowl and used it for the first time today. I got SO frustrated at my complete inability to load the brush that I almost through it against the wall, then realized that the soap itself was still wrapped in plastic. DOH!

This is good information Steve. I also have a spiral pattern on one side of my neck. This hurricane is one of the worst spots to shave clean and is usually the area that gets most irritated during my DE shaves. I am looking forward to trying the KAI Captain Excelia tomorrow and hoping that I have the success that you are. Any advice for another new user? Are you holding the blade housing flat against your skin? If so, does it tend to stick from the suction? The KAI seems to have an advantage in this area due to the relief cuts made in the spine area which look to be designed to prevent that. Any tips will be appreciated.

I've recently started with a Feather AC as well. I don't hold it flat against my face, there's definitely a bit of an angle. I've cut myself three times so far, the worst being under my nose, but it's part of the learning process. I'm getting fantastic shaves, though.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom