What's new

Regarding PIF etiquette.

Just wanted to get you gents' take on PIF etiquette. Specifically, how often do you feel one should enter to win a PIF? For the sake of argument let's assume that the member running the PIF has placed no prohibitive criteria on it. It is wide open to any and all members.

Now, suppose that you recently won a PIF, but you are eligible for this one and would like to try something included in the winnings. Do you limit your PIF entries to, say, something like 1 or 2 per month? Or do you simply evaluate the items in the PIF and decide that you will only enter if there is something that you truly need or want? I know this can be difficult for some because AD drives us to acquire more and more.

Since joining in May, I've been lucky enough to win two PIFs and two vendor contests. This is not counting items that were randomly PIF'd to me outside of the PIF forum. I still see PIFs pop up often for items that I'd really like to try, but I don't want to be perceived as a bully on the playground hoarding all of the toys and ruining the chances of others. I think I've decided, actually, to not enter another PIF here until I run one of my own. That seems to be a good way to restore the balance and allow me to enter one again with good conscience.

What have you gents to say?

I say you should enter one more PIF/contest.

Remember that PIF is an acronym for "Pay It Forward". Participate in as many PIF's as you wish, as long as you pay it forward too.

I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money

-Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Benjamin Webb dated April 22, 1784:

Yeah, I think you've won your fair share! I try to enter PIFs judiciously. I won't enter just for the sake of throwing my hat in. I don't need razors or brushes, for example, so I want to leave that for guys that do, even if there's something else in the PIF I may not have. Now that I'm again gainfully employed, I'm even more motivated to leave them for guys who may not otherwise get to try stuff.

I have been able to acquire the things that I want by buying them, so I haven't entered a PIF contest. I leave those for the guys who can't get it or who aren't sure about wet shaving. I guess I just see it as more of a mutual benefit society kind of thing rather than a shopping alternative. That's just me though.

Yeah, I think you've won your fair share! I try to enter PIFs judiciously. I won't enter just for the sake of throwing my hat in. I don't need razors or brushes, for example, so I want to leave that for guys that do, even if there's something else in the PIF I may not have. Now that I'm again gainfully employed, I'm even more motivated to leave them for guys who may not otherwise get to try stuff.

I have looked at the PIF section and I've actually put my name in once and didn't get it. However, I'm gainfully employed and have already accumulated a Bostonian, Aristocrat, Feather Stainless, EJ DE89L, Slims, Fatboy, Gems, Schick Injectors, and even have a straight on the way. I've got creams, soaps, blades, and a couple of brushes with more on the way.

I actually feel like I'm going to eventually participate in giving a PIF based on knowledge I've received rather than product if that makes sense.

But I think that this, like everything else discussed on this forum, probably falls under the YMMV umbrella.

Well, the good thing is that you seem to have a conscience about all this.

That will guide you.

At some point, you may decide that you can back off on entering PIF contests. Then again, you may be moved to do one or more of your own. I think that's the true PIF spirit.

"Pay It Forward". Participate in as many PIF's as you wish, as long as you pay it forward too.

+1.
I don't have much experience with paying stuff forward but I think the question here is how long can a person go on receiving things and not paying them forward before other people start to consider it bad form.

I try to enter PIFs judiciously. I don't need razors or brushes, for example, so I want to leave that for guys that do, even if there's something else in the PIF I may not have.

I'm curious. Why not go for the PIF and if you get it, immediately start your own PIF and pass on the things you weren't especially interested in?

About a month ago, I got to wonder if I was being greedy. I was entering every PIF I could. I wondered if others would notice my name always in the hat and get the wrong idea. But then I looked at how many of those PIFs I'd actually won (only a couple), and realized that I was doing no wrong. I have since stepped back, since I have all the basics and tried to only enter the PIFs that have something special or unique that I want to try. I keep a box of stuff that I don't want or didn't need to PIF to others. I'm sending a stater kit out today, and have at least 3 more PIFs on the horizon that I'll be starting. I find sending stuff out to new folks, highly rewarding.

About a month ago, I got to wonder if I was being greedy. I was entering every PIF I could. I wondered if others would notice my name always in the hat and get the wrong idea. But then I looked at how many of those PIFs I'd actually won (only a couple), and realized that I was doing no wrong. I have since stepped back, since I have all the basics and tried to only enter the PIFs that have something special or unique that I want to try. I keep a box of stuff that I don't want or didn't need to PIF to others. I'm sending a stater kit out today, and have at least 3 more PIFs on the horizon that I'll be starting. I find sending stuff out to new folks, highly rewarding.

I think this is the route I'll be taking as well. Restoring the balance, as I said in my previous post.

Though I've never won any posted PIFs I have recieved some amazing unasked for ones from generous people on here. In return I have given two and have a third in the making. Also I tend not to enter then anymore unless it's something really amazing. My silver contribution was also me giving a PIF in a way as I donated more than I planned to or could comfortably afford and dedicated it to some members on here in my thank you. I think you just need a balance esp if you're past the 'need' stage and into the 'want' stage.

I was the recipient of PIF after my very first post, thanks to a very kind member. It hasn't been long since then (in fact, the PIF in question is still in the mail!) and I've already bought quite a bit of kit.

Apart from the PIF itself, I have received lots of good advice and much entertainment from many members here, so I plan to do some PIF myself, hopefully for the benefit of other newbies like myself who could use the encouragement.

The whole PIF idea is fantastic, and I really appreciate the whole atmosphere here!

As long as you give one PIF for each one you get, there's no shame in putting your name in whenever there's a product you're interested in. In all honesty, so many people jump into those threads that no-one is going to notice your name coming up more often than any other.

I keep a box of stuff that I don't want or didn't need to PIF to others.

+1 I, too, keep a box full of unwanted stuff that I plan to PIF one day. Not sure if I want to lump it all into one PIF or split it up but it's definitely gonna happen! Pay it Forward!

I put in for one or two, but haven't won. I decided that since I'm able to buy what I want, that I should stay out so others have better odds. And now that I have too much stuff, especially razors, I'm planning to start a PIF or two. I'll probably limit them to noobs so they can try out a DE for the first time.

As long as you give one PIF for each one you get, there's no shame in putting your name in whenever there's a product you're interested in. In all honesty, so many people jump into those threads that no-one is going to notice your name coming up more often than any other.

I got your name buster, dont make me call you out :lol:

I do not see any problem with signing up for a PIF that you have interest in. I as well agree, once you recieve it, start your own PIF and include things you do not need from both your old PIF and from your personal stash.

Top Bottom