What's new

Non-Acne Causing Soaps

Hey All!
I have really sensitive skin, and it seems like every time I shave I get a pimple or two a few hours later. I've heard discussion about soaps and creams that are noncomedogenic, but I don't really know much more than that. Could someone please educate me on which shave soaps don't cause acne, or which ingredients should be avoided? Thank you!

The soaps I use frequently are Col Conks, Kent/MWF, and Mamma Bears Awakenings.

(Some may notice that I posted a nearly identical thread in the shaving creams sub-forum.)

Honestly, most won't give you acne if you thoroughly rinse them off your face after.

I am prone to acne as well, so against popular wisdom I'll wash my face AFTER i shave. This eliminates any residues from the shave, and then you can just apply a noncomedogenic moisturizer. My recommendation for the face wash/moisturizer combo is Kiehl's "herbal blue" line. Excellent stuff, definitely works.

I don't know that soaps are the culprit in causing acne - soaps seem to dry out skin more often than creams do, from my experience. Dry skin is not an ideal condition for breakouts, either. In fact the primary purpose of some of the most aggressive acne medicine out there is to dry out the skin completely.

When I shave with drying soaps and finish with drying alcohol splashes, I find the acne on my face disappears. It might not be the best thing for your overall skin health, though.

okay, here we go....

1) MWF contains lanolin which is a known comedogenic, acne-causing agent. there are lingering questions about whether natural lanolin is better for skin than synthetic lanolin, but i've personally found both irritate my acne. a damn shame because i LOVED MWF soap.

2) tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and anti-fungal agent. it's a good ingredient for problem skin.

3) unscented, uncolored glycerin soap is about the mildest thing you can use. mama bear and em's place sell them. it's not exciting, but it's safe.

4) lavender is often used in mild or "sensitive" formulas, but while most people can use it without problems, there are people who are allergic to lavender. try and see

5) soaps that use lots of essential oil can also cause problems. they make soaps smell great, but too much can irritate skin

6) alcohol-based splashes can disinfect nicks gotten when shaving, but it can also inflame irritated skin. avoid alcohol if possible. try witch hazel as a splash (which can also help acne)

7) avoid over-drying skin with rough exfoliants or harsh cleansers. this will actually cause the skin to secrete more oil which then worsens the problem

i've had good luck with basic glycerin soaps or something very mild like cella, or perhaps cade. juniper oil is supposedly an antiseptic too.

hope this helps.

Hey All!
I have really sensitive skin, and it seems like every time I shave I get a pimple or two a few hours later. I've heard discussion about soaps and creams that are noncomedogenic, but I don't really know much more than that. Could someone please educate me on which shave soaps don't cause acne, or which ingredients should be avoided? Thank you!

The soaps I use frequently are Col Conks, Kent/MWF, and Mamma Bears Awakenings.

(Some may notice that I posted a nearly identical thread in the shaving creams sub-forum.)

L'occitane cade

Top Bottom