What's new

Overstretching the Skin causes Ingrowns?

Just curious, it has been said (by Mantic) that overstretching the skin while DE shaving can cause ingrowns. As such many people probably don't stretch their skin at all.

My question, is that if stretching the skin doesn't lead to ingrowns when you use a straight, why does it lead to ingrowns when you use a DE?

Is it due to the safety bar providing some skin stretching on it's own?

I didn't stretch my skin at all when shaving, until I started to use a straight razor. I have now found if I take the skin stretching technique I learned with a straight, and apply it to my DE shaves, I get a much better, closer shave. :tongue_sm

I went from stretching the skin to letting the razor do the work, and noticed less irritation.

If you stretch the skin the razor can't get in there and have the skin create a nice form between the bar/blade/head, it's too taut (which might bring the blade too close).

Of course, if you want to get close, that'll do it! :)

The only places where I stretch my skin - and not that tightly at that - is my mustache area and in certain parts near the neck.

I read several articles (no first-hand experience) on this and think stretching (or a really close shave) is only a problem for those folks prone to ingrowns. That's one reason you read suggestions not to shave ATG, for example. Stretching and ATG can lead to hair cut below the skin surface and cause it to catch on on the skin and grow under it instead of on out the top. I would think this could happen with any type razor (straight or DE). I've read, too, that a more hydrated hair cuts with smoother edges and is less prone to grow in. There may be something about a straight that cuts the hair with smoother edges?

Top Bottom